Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wingtips

ccasada

New in Town
Greetings!

Knowing all here are very wise and knowledgable, could someone tell me how far back men's wing tip style shoes go? 20's? 30's? early 40's? Are they a American only style or would Brits be wearing this style also.

As always any and all assistance is appreciated.

Chuck

Edward

Bartender
To the best of my unerstanding, brogues in the UK go right back to Edwardian days at least. Traditionally they were a country shoe (I'm sure I read, probably somewhere on here, that the punched holes in the design were originally functional ,and allowed the shoe to drain easily had one had the misfortune to step into a bog), though these days you'll see them in town. A patterned, black full-brogue (i.e. a wingtip) is as common as an Oxford in the City nowadays. The beauty of a patterned shoe like that is that it doesn't show a scuff anywhere near so quickly as a smoothe Oxford.

I'm not sure when exactly brogues began to become acceptable town wear over here.... I want to say 1950s, but I'm probably way off there.

Lokar

A-List Customer
According to the all-knowing wiki, they originated in Scotland & Ireland (hence "brogue", as in bróg, which is the Scottish & Irish Gaelic for shoe), and as Edward said, the brogueing was originally functional, for when you stepped in a bog and required the drainage.

I may be way off base here but as a kid on Long Island, I heard the adults talk about wingtips and you may see several different styles in the group of wingtips.

One style is when the shoe has a heavier, thicker than normal sole (originally leather) so the shoe is more in the heavy duty end of wingtips and the adults called this style "Brogans." I have own a pair of brogans that I liked some time ago and once broken in they were hardy comfortable shoes.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
I may be way off base here but as a kid on Long Island, I heard the adults talk about wingtips and you may see several different styles in the group of wingtips.

One style is when the shoe has a heavier, thicker than normal sole (originally leather) so the shoe is more in the heavy duty end of wingtips and the adults called this style "Brogans." I have own a pair of brogans that I liked some time ago and once broken in they were hardy comfortable shoes.

"they were hardy, comfortable shoes" or "they were hardly comfortable shoes"? Punctuation can be crucial at certain times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran