Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

winter vintage style vs. summer vintage style?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
kamikat said:
Not really. I can only wear my light summer cotton dresses with a sweater until about mid-November. After that, it's just too cold and windy. During mid-winter, say end of January, my typical daily outfit is long johns under jeans, long john top, long sleeve t-shirt, cardigan and sometimes a fleece jacket or shawl. I'm allergic to wool, so that's not an option either.

Have you tried the idea of wearing the jacket from a vintage suit over a cotton dress? Coordinate a nice solid jacket with a print dress, or a patterned jacket with a solid dress, maybe add a flannel slip for warmth and some heavier stockings, and there you go. (That's pretty much my daily look from October to March.)

When I go outside, of course, a long coat is a must -- if you can't do wool, there are a lot of 70s-does-30s coats out there in wool-looking synthetics that can work in a pinch. Add a vintage hat and scarf and some rubbers for slush/snow, and there you are.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like cardigans and tights (I'm looking for cable stockings) so I like vintage style dresses in winter as much as in summer, more sometimes since the layering and long sleeves are less hot. I tend to run too warm rather than one of those people who's always cold, though.

Sweaters and skirts work for me as a winter look, with tights. And I have a coat that while not vintage is not terrible modern in style, its just an unstylish black beltless trench with a liner. No shape to it, unfortunately, but no modern quilting/nylon/whatever either, and its warm as heck.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Now I don't commute I'm looking forward to wearing my repro sweaters more - I could never wear them before as I got too hot with the walking and public transport, and pulling them on and off would ruin my hair! lol

Good news for UK girls though, What Katie Did are going to have a range of opaque black, fully fashioned tights this winter! I've sampled a pair and they're lovely, although I believe they're made for dancers; so if you don't have the legs of a dancer (and who does) you have to go up a size.

My main problem with winter vintage wear is shoes - I have 9847320934 pairs of peep toes/sandals and about 3 pairs of closed ones.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Does that include cashmere?
Yup, pretty much anything that comes from an animal: merino, angora, llama. I can wear blends with small amounts of alpaca, but that's hard to find. When I've tried to knit wool yarns, my hands get big, red welts where ever the yarn touches my skin. I can wear wool even with a lining (or a coat) because if it happens to touch my skin, I get welts.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
My main problem with winter vintage wear is shoes - I have 9847320934 pairs of peep toes/sandals and about 3 pairs of closed ones.
Yeah, this is part of my problem, too.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm rather fond of work boots in vintage styles, with ankle-length skirts. I have my eye out for cordovan ones, like Red Wings or similar. I don't like chunky boots with shorter skirts, though, but I find I get a soft enough look with long ones. I'm going to see how it looks with an underskirt, too, something poofy, to soften it even more and perhaps imply faux-Edwardian. (Not a crinoline really but probably a white summer fluffy-skirt)

I also like granny boots, and high-heeled oxfords, (I got a pair of stitched oxfords with a cute little heel on sale at Payless and I'm a happy bunny) and I want a pair of Victorian-style tall lace-up boots.

My issue with boots is I have a foot that is basically looking for the least excuse to totally wreck itself so whereas the work boots work for that, my love of heels + ice + suicidal foot = mess. But when its just cold, not slick, there's plenty of cute options.

I could use duck boots but I defy such practical considerations. L.L. Bean is good stuff but dang it is not adorable.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I find winter vintage style is easier than summer styles. I manage the look more easily in the winter. In the summer my style is more obviously retro inspired and not very vintage. However, winter foundations seem impossible but at least I've finally found a modern bra that gives the bullet appearance in the summer sales so that'll look nice under the winter knits.:) I've always had a preference for Fall/Winter clothes anyway so this is fine with me. Perhaps because we have such a short summer I never really pay attention to summer styles and only very reluctantly update my summer wardrobe. However, I go over budget every winter because I fall for new knits, more knits and knits gallore and I have a completely irrational obsession with plaid and wool skirts so the combination is irresistible.lol

Even when I plan to buy a new classic wool coat because my heering bone coat went to the thrift shop after it outgrew me, I always get distracted by some more knits and wool gingham or plaid skirts!:rolleyes:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
For me, its more I get so hot in even fairly lightweight long-sleeve blouses that winter means I can wear all the cute 3/4th sleeve and long sleeve styles, and layers.

I like the classic button-down, collared blouse with perhaps a tee under and a little vest or something over, and a cordoroy skirt, and then a trenchcoat, and that sort of thing, for me, except November-Feburary? Heatstroke. Or at least an excess of "glowing" to the point I could serve as a lighthouse.

zombi

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Have you tried the idea of wearing the jacket from a vintage suit over a cotton dress? Coordinate a nice solid jacket with a print dress, or a patterned jacket with a solid dress, maybe add a flannel slip for warmth and some heavier stockings, and there you go. (That's pretty much my daily look from October to March.)

When I go outside, of course, a long coat is a must -- if you can't do wool, there are a lot of 70s-does-30s coats out there in wool-looking synthetics that can work in a pinch. Add a vintage hat and scarf and some rubbers for slush/snow, and there you are.
I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but -- did you make your own flannel slip? Are there patterns for this kind of thing??

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There sure are -- Simplicity 3706 is a good basic vintage slip pattern if you can find it, or you can just adapt a basic princess-seamed dress pattern by eliminating the sleeves and shoulders and adding straps. It doesn't have to be especially structured or form-fitting -- the looser it fits, the warmer it will be. Get some plain white flannel, some lace edging, some lingerie straps, and there you go. Or you can use novelty print flannel -- anything that's soft and fuzzy and will keep you warm.

zombi

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
There sure are -- Simplicity 3706 is a good basic vintage slip pattern if you can find it, or you can just adapt a basic princess-seamed dress pattern by eliminating the sleeves and shoulders and adding straps. It doesn't have to be especially structured or form-fitting -- the looser it fits, the warmer it will be. Get some plain white flannel, some lace edging, some lingerie straps, and there you go. Or you can use novelty print flannel -- anything that's soft and fuzzy and will keep you warm.
Thanks! That is going to solve a world of winter problems for me! :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
There are some white flannel nightgowns that would do the job too, ones with little sleeves or spaghetti straps that won't show under clothes but would add a nice layer of warmth.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I do a lot of wrap dresses made of jersey and that have three quarters lengths sleeves. Also Tweede lots and lots of it. Tweed pants, and skirts, and jackets, and even a coat. I try to wear pants more because they keep me warmer. I grew up in western Maryland and while we don't have the coldest winters around up there it still helps to have legs covered. Tights are night too. I also wear knee high boots and just try not to care about the fact that they aren't vintage at all. Also pea coats work nicely. There is a fabulous store in Frederick (where I grew up) called Venus on the Half Shell. She sells vintage clothes and they are all wonderful. I have also found wearing skirt with cute short sleeve tops, works well because cardigans can always be put on. I also wear lots of sweaters, I am a huge fan of argyle so winter is really the only time for it, for some reason I don't quite understand. But pants and tops, sweaters and short sleeves, all work well. Does that help?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'll have to check out Venus on the Half Shell. Fredrick is about an hour from me, so it's not too long a drive.
I like your idea of wearing boots and just not caring if they're vintage. I have some great high heeled ones that serve as my winter church shoes. They sure do keep the legs toasty warm.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
kamikat said:
I'll have to check out Venus on the Half Shell. Fredrick is about an hour from me, so it's not too long a drive.
I like your idea of wearing boots and just not caring if they're vintage. I have some great high heeled ones that serve as my winter church shoes. They sure do keep the legs toasty warm.
they also work wonderfully when paired with tights, for extra toasty legs. I sometimes opt for bright colored ones as a way of throwing people off. It's fun. I hope you enjoy venus when you get down there it's on east Patrick street but really if you go down town (the historic part) and park anyone will be able to tell you how to get there.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Grant Fan said:
they also work wonderfully when paired with tights, for extra toasty legs. I sometimes opt for bright colored ones as a way of throwing people off. It's fun. I hope you enjoy venus when you get down there it's on east Patrick street but really if you go down town (the historic part) and park anyone will be able to tell you how to get there.

I do the same or colorful leggings with knee high socks just for extra measure when it's really cold. I've been doing that combo long before it was trendy. I'm just super nerdy.:eek: I very reluctantly cancelled an order of colorful leggings and tights because affording a classic wool coat and duffelcoat I really wanted is more important to me this year.

This thread gave me the kick I needed to get my priorities sorted for this winter and I also cancelled a bunch of knits I'd ordered because I don't strictly need more knits.

However, I couldn't resist buying a grey wool skirt which is really the last thing I need more of.:eek: It's only the second wool skirt I own that doesn't have a pepita, stripe or plaid pattern<<<excuse.

In place, I've found a classic dark brown, wool coat and a red duffelcoat with hood and hidden zipper which will be useful with all the country walking I do and I'll feel safer on dark mornings and in dark afternoons than I do in my boring black dune jacket that ruins any attempt at retro style. Both the jacket and coat are 50% off.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm another that has the shoe issue. I just cannot wear a standard pair of shoes when it's as cold and mucky as it is. I generally pair a modern plain boot with my vintage dresses. I'm not too happy with the look sometimes - but it works. I'm not exactly a purist. I think I will look for a riding boot type this year (I have giant calves which makes the problem worse). I too have a billion pairs of heavy tights and love the cable type when I can find them. Marshalls and TJMax sometimes have quality ones at a steal.

I was going to ask the same question about the flannel slips. I think I will be making one up promptly.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
*martini*time* said:
Yep...Winter-peg is a cold one too! Stupid Canadian Winters...ruin my wardrobe options...

I feel this. Even when wearing a nice warm dress with thick tights, the Sorel's kind of ruin the look. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot