Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter weight wool flannel pants - is that asking for too much?

Doublegun

Practically Family
I have been searching high and low for winter weight (even mid-weight) charcoal flannel pants and have had absolutely no luck. Nothing even coming close to the weight and feel of nice heavy flannel. Talked with the proprietor of Van Bovens, a serious old-time mens store in Ann Arbor, Michigan and he told me that he has been looking for them for years and has not been able to find any. I know that I can get what I want through Bookster but I really want to be able to try them on before investing in them. (By the way, even the flannels I have seen that have been slightly heaver than the run-of-the mill trousers have been priced close to $200. Ralph Lauren - no; Brooks Brothers - no; Jos. Banks - hell, no. Suggestions?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doublegun said:
I know that I can get what I want through Bookster but.........
Just bite the bullet. You'll be hard pressed to find 400g flannel at RTW, at least outside of Manhattan and even then you'd have to hunt it down and pay a lot more than $200 (Paul Stuart, Bergdorf Goodman, Peter Elliot, etc..will usually stock the heavier stuff....for like $500).

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
That's too bad. I have four pairs of women's lined wool flannel winter trousers, three from Lauren and one Banana Republic, all classic cut.

Aside from the dry cleaning bill, I love them.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
1. Winter collections have yet to arrive. Give it another 4 weeks.

2. Make a pair yourself! You can get a vintage pattern from evadress.com and wool fabric is easy to come by.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
A tad bit ranty, but true!

When I want a pair of Autumn/Winter weight wool flannel trousers, I promptly contact my tailor and order a pair for $45. - $55. depending upon how heavy I want the material on the given occasion. They are made to measure, but good for it. I recall blowing $43. on a pair of plain Super 120 gray woolen trousers not too long ago for Summer because I didn't feel like waiting for my tailor. I probably just should have ordered from him. I could have been wearing sheer Summer weight flannel now instead of the thinner woolens which I am hoping will stand up to the California Autumn and Winter. (I usually wear a pair of medium charcoal gray twill trousers from Malibu Clothiers Beverly Hills but sometimes they get too warm while worn at some of my jobs.

Besides, none of the mass-produced trousers which I've come across today (nor any of the riding breeches which aren't highly exorbitant and not what I would wear anyway) have a high enough rise like I prefer. I like my trousers to rise about a third to a quarter of the way up my back and have a split top for my suspenders. that way no shirt ever shows between my waist-coat and trouser tops furthermore, my shirts always stay beautifully tucked in without bunching up when I wear high rise trousers and breeches. 'Hope what I said was helpful in some way.

Oh, if you're at all interested, I use mysuitshop.com I've been highly pleased with the quality of their workmanship and with the fit and just everything so far, even the hand-woven selvage buttons on my golden-canary yellow silk-linen canvas-woven double breasted riding vest! (It was copied from a Marshal Fields & Company model from the 1890s if I am not mistaken - I may be, I'm awful with names) Rant, Sorry for the rant! ;P

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Evan Everhart said:
When I want a pair of Autumn/Winter weight wool flannel trousers, I promptly contact my tailor and order a pair for $45. - $55. depending upon how heavy I want the material
But you won't be getting the quality of fabric that Bookster uses.

Fox%20Flannels_jpg.jpg

davestlouis

Practically Family
I have never felt any need for really heavy weight trousers...I spend some time in cemeteries on cold windy days for work and just wear a LONG topcoat to keep the wind off my legs. I'd roast in the office in heavy pants. I wouldn't even know where to look for such items.

What purpose would winter weight pants serve? Where do you wear them? Under what weather conditions? I'm trying to understand why they are necessary.

Some people have jobs or events that keep them outdoors all day or all night and under such fierce winter conditions that heavy weight wool pants are a blessing. Hunting where you're out from predawn til morning and have to stay still and quiet makes them perfect to keep from freezing. Ranchers, farmers, dairy guys can spend time either outdoors or in unheated buildings.

I worked for a place that the warehouse and some of the offices were unheated and when there was a cold snap near or below freezing those areas got so cold I wore long underwear in the office. (In the summer it was hot as outside too.)

Djupis

One of the Regulars
repeatclicks said:
2. Make a pair yourself! You can get a vintage pattern from evadress.com and wool fabric is easy to come by.

Does anyone have any experience with these patterns?

davestlouis said:
What purpose would winter weight pants serve? Where do you wear them? Under what weather conditions? I'm trying to understand why they are necessary.

They work rather well here in Norway :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Evan Everhart said:
I can get a higher quality if I want for a marginally larger amount.
Of course we both know that it dosen't really work that way.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
In the UK, for a very high-waisted very heavy wool trouser in black with wide turnups (cuffs) and braces (suspender) buttons on a (very) fishtail back at less than 20GBP I suggest a visit to your local military surplus shop.

You should look for Trousers, Working Dress No. 2 in the 1940s pattern. It would be hard to find an equivalent weight or style today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy