Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter weight wool flannel pants - is that asking for too much?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BellyTank said:
Just the cost of such a high grade of cloth will surely be more than the
completed $55 trousers-
It's like over $100+ per yrd (wholesale).

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:
In the UK, for a very high-waisted very heavy wool trouser in black with wide turnups (cuffs) and braces (suspender) buttons on a (very) fishtail back at less than 20GBP I suggest a visit to your local military surplus shop.

You should look for Trousers, Working Dress No. 2 in the 1940s pattern. It would be hard to find an equivalent weight or style today!

That sounds ideal.... wish I could find a few decent surplus places in London. All the ones I knew are gone... I'll have to scour Portobello and see what they have. Silvermans are great for general stock, but limited (and expensive) for this sort of thing.

I do have a couple of pairs of trousers that are much like what you describe, though more recent. They lack the turnups and have a somewhat tapered leg towards the ankle, also they are a navy colour. One of the cavalry regiments, I believe - hence the taper, which I presume is to make them work easier with long boots or gaiters. Very serviceable trousrs, very nice to wear. What you describe is even better, though - I really wanted cuffs on mine, but couldn't find them long enough to facilitate that.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
There is a matching waistcoat too - Silvermans have them for around eight quid. You should be able to get the set for twenty five.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Evan Everhart said:
I can get a higher quality if I want for a marginally larger amount. I can get any quality of wool that I wish really.
really?

MisterCairo said:
Canada. November through April inclusive.

Nuff said.....

Agreed. If I'm going to be spending any time outside in the winter here, be it walking across campus or across town, a long coat isn't enough to keep my legs warm. Thick socks and heavy wool pants are a must.

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Wearing a pair as we speak

Purchased them in the winter sale at Paul Stuart a couple of years ago(about $200)and they still had some when I went to this years in January. Light grey, heay flannel, 2" cuff, with D rings to keep them up although I usually wear braces. Some may be in the after christmas bash this year.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Just the cost of such a high grade of cloth will surely be more than the
completed $55 trousers-

B
T

I will agree on this. Quality cloth does come at a quality price. Most suitings over here in the UK can easily cost £40 per metre.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Stopped in at the Ralph Lauren store this afternoon. They have some reasonably heavy flannels that feel very nice. They should for $395 :eek:

Doublegun

Practically Family
Stopped in Brooks Brothers as well. Never have I seen such a collection of horses-asses in one place. Their sales staff are among the worst I have ever dealt with. I keep having to remind myself not to go in there - they are simply the worst.

Rathko

New in Town
davestlouis said:
What purpose would winter weight pants serve? Where do you wear them? Under what weather conditions? I'm trying to understand why they are necessary.

Being from England, I'm just used to heavier weight wools. The lighter ones feel insubstantial to me, as though they're going to wear through too quickly. I also like the feeling of being constricted by my clothing - hence my love of the three-piece and tie - and thinner fabrics are just too loosy-goosy. Urghhhh...they make me feel like I'm wearing 80s Armani.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy