Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WONDERFUL vintage fashion in colour: Wartime German film

Metatron

One Too Many
Do I have a treat for you: Große Freiheit Nr. 7 is a colour German film made in 1944, and set in the harbour of Hamburg. It was banned in Nazi Germany but was shown right after the war. It's an interesting for many reasons. Firstly it's completely apolitical.
One thing that surprised me was a scene in which a couple is embracing virtually naked in bed. That's something I haven't seen in another movie of the 1930s-1950s.

I am posting some screenshots of some of the great outfits worn in the film, including one of a chap browsing through a rack of ties:
Screenshot2012-12-08at080612.png

Screenshot2012-12-08at074811.png

Screenshot2012-12-08at071132.png

Screenshot2012-12-08at070801.png

Screenshot2012-12-08at070612.png

Screenshot2012-12-08at064617.png

Screenshot2012-12-08at063245.png

Screenshot2012-12-08at062158.png

Screenshot2012-12-08at061902.png

I'm obviously posting in this part of the forum mainly because of the outfits, but I would highly recommend this film not only as a fashion/historical resource but as a stellar film in it's own right. Bittersweet drama at it's best, unfortunately probably half forgotten due to the tumultuous events surrounding it's inception.

You can watch it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv8R2REE8AQ

Metatron

One Too Many
Yep, you nailed it. Btw I watched Port of Shadows which is one of the best of the genre supposedly, but I found it excruciatingly slow.

Metatron

One Too Many
As am I. Thanks for the recommendation, I've watched Jour se Neve, it's a good one, but with a miserable outlook on life. I will watch 'Hotel du Nord.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Watched it again a short time ago... such a wonderful film. :eusa_clap
The bantering between the characters is just as great as the wardrobe.

Am I the only one who was rooting for Kröger?
I found Willem rather annoying - although his snazzy grey peak-lapel suit beats Kröger's antiquated black clothes any day... and one would expect to be sympathizing for a guy whose idea of flirting consists of talking about his suit and ties. :D

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
It's cause Willem is a 'playah', without giving away too much...
Peak lapels need to make a major comeback, they just communicate cool and edginess. Perfect for an evil mastermind. ;)
Btw does anyone recognise the style of pattern on the white/burgundy shirt?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
There seems to be a minor return of the peak lapel... however when the rest of the suit sports all the unpleasantries of contemporary fashion it doesn't really help much.

Regarding the shirt... maybe this will help in recognizing the pattern:

shirt-1.png

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just watched the movie yesterday for the first time. The clothes were awesome and the movie very good. Instead of taking sides for one of the guys I just had to think that Hamburg was a terrible place for women. Everybody would think you are a prostitute but wait for some kind of virgin mary to come along and marry. But OK of course "back in the day everything was so much better and people were always nice to their neighbors." is well discussed in other threads. :violin:

The patterned shirts are great indeed. I also liked the blue one from Jens just at the beginning. Many shirts buttoned all the way up and worn with a suit or a sportcoat and no tie. (Don't get me wrong: I love ties):love: All in all the movie is a treasure trove for euro workwear looks.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Another German color movie worth watching: "Ernst Thälmann - Führer seiner Klasse". It's an East-German/DDR (GDR) production from 1955. It's a (of course blatantly propagandist) biopic about Communist Party leader Ernst Thälmann, set during 1930-1945.

Now to get back on topic: Lots of good 30-40's (and certainly also early 50's) European work-wear, knits, head-wear and suits.

Here a couple of screenshots:

I like this look a lot... short leather, flannel slacks, shawl-collar sweater with tie.
ET1.png

ET2.png

ET3.png

ET4.png

ET5.png

ET7.png

The chap holding the bike pretty much sports my everyday clothing. ;-)
ET8.png

ET9.png

ET13.png

ET14.png

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Thank you for posting Fastuni, some great outfits and things that you rarely see in films, like the German leather jacket. The checked tie+shawl collar sweater+leather jacket combo is simply a perfect vintage look imho.

Metatron

One Too Many
All this makes me want a film screenshot thread, just watched a film called 'The Red Shoes'(many have compared it to the recent 'Black Swan') and want to post all the great outfits.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
You don't need a seperate thread for screen-grabs: just post any pics in the 'Show us their suits' thread. It's filled with screen-grabs.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
At least not on-screen. :D I suppose the DEFA wardrobe department had several of them...

BTW both "shawl collar" scenes take place in Paris (as one might have guessed from the uniform the bottom left fellow is wearing).

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Am I the only one who was rooting for Kröger? ... I found Willem rather annoying

i found all three main characters annoying !

the girl, although she was obviously the 'sympathetic' character annoyed me with the way she seemed to (passively) lead both men on without caring for either (until the end) like a coquette who just wants the attention.
still enjoyed the film for the setting, colour scheme and lighting though.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A nice color view of everyday clothing can also be seen in the German 1942 film "Das große Spiel" ("The Big Game" - story set in 1936).
The first hour or so is black&white - but the final 30 minutes of the film, showing the actual soccer/football match, was filmed in Agfacolor.

Here some examples (click for larger view):

One of the interesting points might be the ratio of white and colored shirts.
Also the variety of (sometimes peculiar) sunshades and headgear.
BTW - Yes it is Max Schmeling in the crowd. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy