Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work and the dress down code

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Speaking of bow ties ...

anon` said:
Love it. Love it! Exactly what I would've done :)

Alternatively, there's always bow ties! ;)

This has been 25 or more years ago, but ...

Our county was going through a big property tax value reevaluation. There were very heated meetings between the County Commissioners and the public. At one meeting, things got so heated that a member of the audience jumped up and grabbed one of the Commissioner by his neck tie, and with a quick slash of a knife, cut the Commissioner's tie clean off.

To this very day, that Commissioner will only wear a bow tie. It has become his trademark. You just have to love local County politics ... :eek:

anon`

One Too Many
Big Man said:
This has been 25 or more years ago, but ...

Our county was going through a big property tax value reevaluation. There were very heated meetings between the County Commissioners and the public. At one meeting, things got so heated that a member of the audience jumped up and grabbed one of the Commissioner by his neck tie, and with a quick slash of a knife, cut the Commissioner's tie clean off.

To this very day, that Commissioner will only wear a bow tie. It has become his trademark. You just have to love local County politics ... :eek:
Way off topic here, but something similar to that (fisticuffs at a local council meeting or somesuch) happened up in my neck of the woods not all that long ago. But nobody here wears ties, so that wasn't much of a concern! :D

Big Man said:
Well, I'd had about all I could stand from this pin-head, so I stand up, lean over to him, look down at him right in the eyes and say, "Why don't you try to choke me and we'll see what "breaks away" first."
lol Well handled, sir. I like your attitude... *jealous of not really having the mass to back up a similar one*--I'd bet you could probably bench my entire weight with one arm! And since I rather value the attachment between my feet and the ground (not to mention my component parts), remind me to never cheese you off... or at least give me a clear warning so I know I need to de-escalate things, please.

pgoat

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I think it's possible to "dress down" and still "dress up". Say you wear a white shirt and dark suit Monday thru Thursday, and the rest of the company goes casual for Friday. Why not wear a colored or plaid flannel shirt, with knit tie, and a corduroy sportsjacket with leather patches on the elbow? Just for example. Clothes like that can be very comfortable, look more casual, and still make the clear statement that you try to dress "nicer" than the average bear. (That's a Yogi Bear reference to those of you in the too-young-to-remember age bracket.)
I agree with this. I will say I think it's hard to dress casual neat. With a suit and tie there are a few basic lines to choose from, and you can play with the fabric and accessories to match your individual style. But casual looks can really vary and you have to be careful depending on your age, physical build, coporate or social culture, etc etc.

pgoat

One Too Many
Big Man said:
I work in a state mental hospital. We get surveyors from various regulatory agencies in here all the time. Most of them are fine folks, but every once and a while we get some real s***heads that like to try to flaunt their "power" way too much.

On one such occasion we had a real dip-wad of a surveyor here. He wanted to really make a point about the "dangers" in our hospital (he probabally still sleeps with his mommy when he goes home - you know the kind). There were a number of us from hospital management in the conference room with him for his closing. He had belittled us up one side and down the other about the "dangerous conditions" in the hospital. Then he looked over at me and said, "Is that tie you are wearing a break away tie? I could use that tie to choke you if it isn't break away."

Well, I'd had about all I could stand from this pin-head, so I stand up, lean over to him, look down at him right in the eyes and say, "Why don't you try to choke me and we'll see what "breaks away" first."

That was the end of the harrassment from that surveyor. Oh yeah, we passed the survey, too. ;)

what a jerk...I can't believe he said that to you. Good come back.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran