Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Working man's" attire?

Randal

Familiar Face
I was wondering what type of clothing men wore in the manufacturing industry during the 20's and 30's. I'm particularly interested in what they wore in lumber yards and the lumber industry in general. Thanks.

RBH

Bartender
I found this photo from circa 1930 in Washington state of a Lumber and Shingle Co.

lumberis2.jpg

Geesie

Practically Family
Heh. Coveralls, overalls, work boots.
Kind of like 'working man's attire' for this decade, too.

carter said:
Can anyone identify the cap worn by the big fella down front center?
Looks like a European type working man's cap, I seem to recall them being a bit like a dutch boy cap. Similar to the train engineers cap but wider in the top portion. Almost like a uniform cap.

Randal

Familiar Face
Thanks RBH, that's exactly what I was looking for. It looks very similar to what's worn at my place of employment.

Not in the lumber yard but still manufacturing.

My dad was a lifelong machinist, operating the lathe and milling machine at work and at home for years and years. They made all sorts of precision items, as a teen I even assisted at home with making precision washers (to 1 thousandth of an inch!)

Dad always wore a "shop coat" that was a blue grey color to protect his clothes. It was a heavy cotton woven in a sort of herringbone pattern.
It was alot like a lab coat but those are white and much lighter weight material.

I tend to use a shop apron in a blue denim material when working on really messy jobs.

OldSoul

Familiar Face
It sure hasn't changed much, has it? It's kind of like farming workwear, coveralls and overalls, replace the cap with a baseball cap and you have my dad!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
The cap on the guy in the center is a version of what is usually called a "wheel cap". Common 19th century headgear. The train engineers cap would be a direct descendant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic