Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World Autism Awareness Day

Didn't quite know where to post this but today is World Autism Awareness Day. I know this condition affects a lot of families and I just wanted post this as a reminder. I worked with Special Olympics for quite a few years and that is when I first became aware of it. Today, I have a wonderful stepdaughter, 27yoa, who is autistic and lives with us. She is high functioning, works and even drives on a limited basis.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Nice post. My sons are lucky enough to attend an elementary school that is the magnet school for anyone in the school district with Autism. They are main-streamed to the best of their ability and others have one on one attention. It has given my boys wonderful life lessons in compassion and in embracing the uniqueness of everyone. You must be very proud of your stepdaughter.

Nice post. My sons are lucky enough to attend an elementary school that is the magnet school for anyone in the school district with Autism. They are main-streamed to the best of their ability and others have one on one attention. It has given my boys wonderful life lessons in compassion and in embracing the uniqueness of everyone. You must be very proud of your stepdaughter.
Thanks so much for your reply. The reason we live where we do is because of the school system and their efforts to be all inclusive. She attended prom, walked the hallways with every other student and received her graduation diploma onstage as every other student did.

She confounds me and inspires me every day. I am amazed by her.

As a side note, if you get the chance, take a peek at the docudrama about Temple Grandin.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Thanks so much for your reply. The reason we live where we do is because of the school system and their efforts to be all inclusive. She attended prom, walked the hallways with every other student and received her graduation diploma onstage as every other student did.

She confounds me and inspires me every day. I am amazed by her.

As a side note, if you get the chance, take a peek at the docudrama about Temple Grandin.

I have seen the movie, it's an incredible story.

That's tremendous of your school system, we do the same... it's an enormous benefit (IMO) to both the Autistic students (or any other group being main-streamed) and to the traditional student. From the age of 7 my boys would attend an after school program with Autistic children, and my oldest would play catch for an hour or more at a time with a severely disabled boy his own age, rolling the ball back and forth on the ground. At the end of that particular school year, when he realized he wouldn't see his friend for at least the entire summer, he left school with tears running down his face. The other young boy had never uttered a single word to my son, just their daily rolling of the ball.

pawineguy,
I agree, it's a benefit to all. Jess (our girl) and her peers, raised in the same system are not self conscious and have all the confidence they need in any setting. I'm still fascinated by the lack of verbal communication from her but with time I've learned that speech is not her only way of speaking. If only I could text with her speed. She is also the reason we have five dogs. The love and compassion she displays for animals is inspiring, even if I have to ask her for a hug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR