Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World's Most Popular Overcoat

Haversack

One Too Many
Loden is wonderful material. It drapes well, is light in weight and sheds water and the wind. I do wish it were easier to find here in the states. I have a loden hunters cape I bought in the early 1980s while living in Germany and it out-performs a Burburry trenchcoat of the same vintage. Water tends to rolls right off so at the end of a wet work day, I can put it on and it will be dry. Doing the same with the trenchcoat, it would still be sodden.

Haversack.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
As in a San Francisco Bay gust. Brrr!

Yeah San Francisco in winter can be quite "Brrr" At least you have a chance when the fog is in but if it's a clear night, you better dress for the worst.

Speedster

Practically Family
I used to have one in a dark green, but i don't have it anymore (i nicked it from my father, could be he got it back).

As for Marc Chevalier's query:

Marc Chevalier said:
Which begs the question:

IS THIS AN OVERCOAT, OR A FELT HAT WITH BUTTONS AND SLEEVES?

I wear a size 7 1/4 so the Loden coat i had was far too big to be a hat. Mine worked much better as an overcoat.;)

clevispin

One of the Regulars
I've always seen this before with raglan sleeves and thought it must be pretty comfortable even with a suit coat underneath.

m

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
clevispin said:
I've always seen this before with raglan sleeves and thought it must be pretty comfortable even with a suit coat underneath.

Yup. It is also available with raglan sleeves.

The loden overcoat was originally a military/hunting coat. Its sleeves allow for great freedom of movement, especially for rifle-raising and swinging.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Fletch said:
My dad had a coat in the mid 70s with the label "The original Loden coat - Made in Austria." It was a loud glen plaid - was that possible? - and just shy of knee-length.

Glen plaid is possible, though rare. Loden can be dyed in any pattern and color, though it's most typically made in solid olive green, forest green, navy blue, medium grey, and dark grey.

Loden overcoats made for the WWII Austrian military tended to be long, below mid-calf. Starting in the '60s, the coats became shorter, usually above the knee. Today, they are made in both long and shorter varieties, according to one's taste.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm a Crombie man myself.

Just the standard all scottish wool (black/charcoal colour) with two slash pockets to the side, 3/4 length, four buttoned. Pure bliss in the middle of winter and so classically smart and stylish (so I'm told!!).

interlocutor

New in Town
Loden coat in the US

tm3 said:
is there a source for this overcoat in the USA?

Brooks Bros. carries them -- certainly I've seen them in the store on 44th and Madison. Tried one on a couple of years ago and found it much too roomy for my frame, but Brooks tends to cut a bit large anyway. I did get a nice Loden shooting jacket from Chrysalis and just love it, don't care what anyone else thinks about the cloth.

Edward

Bartender
Myself, I'm a big fan of a DB overcoat, but I really love the look of a sb overcoat of this type of design with a db suitcoat / blazer underneath. Something about the contrast between the two, in the same way that a db waistcoat looks superb under a sb suitcoat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24