Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wormser "The Texan"

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I just picked up this hat at the Pasadena City College flea market for $15. Its a beaut of a hat but I can't find much about it. The camera is away, but it looks a lot like the one in this post:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=687349&highlight=wormser#post687349

Mine is as white a hat as I've seen. It is called the "Texan" and is of the Open Road clone type. The felt is called "Royal Luxury." The brim is 3" and the crown is about 5 3/4" tall, so I put a diamond bash in it much like the one in the link above. The ribbon is a thin ivory color. The sweatband is brown leather and is 1 3/4" wide. The sweat is sewn direct to the hat, so there's no reeding, but there is some sort of paper sewn in there so its between the sweat and the felt. The paper feels like the stuff on the top of the liner over the logo. The liner is sewn to the felt.

Inside there is a tag that says "8.50 Wormser 107 5901 7 1/2." Yes, its a 7 1/2 which is a little big for me but since I'm a round oval, its not much different than my 59 centimeter Akubras. It has moth divots under the brim, and 2 on top. Otherwise its in great shape. The amazing thing is that its white, but still clean! It did have some dirt on it, so I thought I might have to have it cleaned, but that brushed right off.

Anyone have any info on this hat? I've searched the forum and the web but found very little on Wormsers except that many people like them, some don't, and RBH coveted the one above at Buckaroo Hatters, but it wasn't for sale.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Its similar, but I have a feeling mine is older. Your sweatband is reeded, and the top looks like its protected by plastic while mine has the sweatband sewn directly to the felt, and has that papery stuff. Also, mine has the dangly ribbons though the rest of it looks like yours.

Great hat. I love the grey color which will make it much more useful than my white hat.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I'm not really an expert on these things. But Stetsons from the 1940s tend to have the sweatband sewn directly to the felt and that paper like stuff over the logo from what I've seen here on the Lounge. My Stetson Stratoliner from the late 1950s or early 1960s has plastic over the logo in the liner which I think yours does. So my guess is that mine around the 1940s while yours is from the late 1950s or so. Plus, mine has a 3" brim, but that could be a model difference. The pics didn't say whether yours says "The Texan" in the front of the sweatband like mine does.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm not really that knowledgable on vintage.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Pics finally

The wife has returned, and so I took some pics of the Wormser Texan. Anything anyone knows about this hat would be appreciated. The last one is with my Art Fawcett which is silverbelly to show how white the Wormser is. I gave it a diamond bash. There are moth bits, unfortunately, but none of them go through.

DSCN1474.jpg

DSCN1475.jpg

DSCN1477.jpg

DSCN1478.jpg

DSCN1476.jpg

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
kaosharper, thats a really nice one, very close to my VS. I love the color and crease you put in it.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
kaosharper1 said:
The wife has returned, and so I took some pics of the Wormser Texan. .......

Looks like a nice diamond but what I really dig is the tilt ;).

Wormser, hmmm..... I'm curious for info too.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
kaosharper1 said:
Gotta have a tilt!

If I try for a nice tilt it never works... But sometimes when I'm not paying attention and just allow a hat to take it's natural position on my head - man those angles just start showing up.

I get the best look and comfort if I don the hat with left hand on back of the brim and right hand on front. That's how real hats should be handled - on my head anyway :D.

A straight hat can never work on my crooked face lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic