Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 coat....but what is it??

Cap'n Badger

New in Town
Right....first off, Ahoy an' 'ello :)
I was given a link t' this fantastic forum by a fellow swab, in the hope that ye alls can help me wi' an ID o' a jacket I was given some time back.
I don't want t' come o'er as 'just another idiot' lookin' t' rape this forum o' infomation fer his own gains an' then disappear into the cyber background......But I've hit a research wall an' have been pointed in yer direction by well meanin' people who have quoted ye all as bein' 'THE BEST'..... :)
So here goes:
I was given this fantastic Jacket an' was told that it was WW2 or WW1.....bein' that my main dress attire be 'Pirate'....this is a little out o' my field o' knowledge , so unsure as t' it's origins I've Posted here fer help.
It is made from very stiff leather that seems t' soften the more ye wears it. It is lined wi' a very scratchy (on skin) blanket material o' grey/blue colour an' there ain't a label in sight!..d'oh.
Some have said German tank com'dr.....some ww1 trench coat....personally I'm thinkin' more 'British Air Corps'.
Any ideas? do ye have any photo's or research that I can p'roose t' find the provenance an' use o' this fine coat? Here be some photies..
Front open..
Jacketfront1.jpg

Front closed...
Jacketfrontclosed2.jpg

Back..
Jacketrear.jpg

Inside..
Jacketinside.jpg

Any help would be a godsend.....Thank 'e in advance.
(BTW...yes I do write in 'Pirate speak'...After 10 years o' bein' a pirate re-enactor....it does kinda get under yer skin.....lol)
All the best.
Jacob.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Har!.. Shwd mae from South Wales?...

Doesn't look like anything WWII British/American..methinks... Could be Great War, seem to be a very fine coat though!

Hwyl,
Seimon

Cap'n Badger

New in Town
Ahoy Eyemo...
An' a 'ello' backatcha from Cardiff.. :)
Hmmmm...older than I thought.....It seems t' have lasted well fer the timescale.
Thank 'e fer the input fella.
Jacob.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Of course, the "spanner" could be the fact it might be 50's/60s Eastern Europe...

Still a great coat though...

"Confused" of Carmarthen.lol

Cap'n Badger

New in Town
lol ...This is true. Hence the quest fer a proper discription :)
:eek:fftopic: Carmarthen eh?...grew up there an' in ferryside just down the river (small world aye.):eek:fftopic:

Eyemo

Practically Family
Would be cool if was the middle one!!!...;)

I think you've also got to consider if it looks like a 90 year old coat or a 40 year old coat....May be stating the obviouse.

:)

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi there,

It is a Swedish military coat probably from around the late 1940s through to 50s. I have had a couple over the years and they are fabulous quality. They usually have a thick blanket type lining and a linen square label in the back with a single printed number – 1,2,3,4

The americans had an earlier type of coat with some simililarities called an M69F which was issued to the US Navy.

The leather on these Swedish coats is amazing – very thick and high quality. The equivalant coat bought new, if you could find something comparable, would be hundreds if not a thousand pounds or more.

Cap'n Badger

New in Town
Aye.....a fine photo there matey.....the one I have does not have side pockets tho....just the main front pockets plus a leather topped, canvas lined inner pocket. (integral t' the blanket liner)
As fer 'looks o' age'......I've seen leather jackets from the 20's that if kept well (or hardly worn in most cases) lookin' brand spanky.
This one although 'has' been worn....but never in anger it seems. (no patches..restitchin' etc.)....the quest continues :)

Cap'n Badger

New in Town
Ahoy Bobbyball....
Do ye have any photo or linked evidence t' the 'swedish coat?....(gonna go troll the webbage mesel' right now)....but ifin ye happens t' have a link that would be amazin'.....cheers fella.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Bobbyball-Very interesting... I was just about to add that I have an USN flying jacket (G1??)that has a similar leather/collar look.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Swedish stuff is interesting as they were neutral during the war. I have a pair of 1941 dated swedish boots and I understand that as the war progressed, and things got tight for the axis, there were supplies of equipment that came in to the hands of German Forces.

Your coat would have been issued to Officers rather than ranks. The ranks would most likely have had a sheepskin lined canvas version with a high fur collar similar to yours.

I have found a link to Silvermans in the UK but they have yet another variation – a shorter leather coat with a zipper and wool-faced small collar.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
See posts on another thread about Scandinavian Translation (or something). The yoke and pockets are different on this example from the Swedish army coats I have seen.

bobbyball said:
Hi there,

It is a Swedish military coat probably from around the late 1940s through to 50s. I have had a couple over the years and they are fabulous quality. They usually have a thick blanket type lining and a linen square label in the back with a single printed number – 1,2,3,4

The americans had an earlier type of coat with some simililarities called an M69F which was issued to the US Navy.

The leather on these Swedish coats is amazing – very thick and high quality. The equivalant coat bought new, if you could find something comparable, would be hundreds if not a thousand pounds or more.

Cap'n Badger

New in Town
Cheers fer the input guys......I've been off trollin' the goggle img pages.....t' no avail it seems.
The ONLY place I've seen a similar won was on 'Reilly ace o' spies''....don't know which ep' but he was wearin' what looked t' be the same one.....but the coller fur was in black.....not brown...grrr.....I will find it!...I will :)

Eyemo

Practically Family
I'l show the pics (if it's ok with you) to a mate of mine who collects Swedish WW2 stuff...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael