Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 US Navy patch question

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Hey guys,
I have come across a WW2 US Navy blue wool jumper, pants, and white crewman hat. The uniform is in great shape and I am for certain that is WW2 era based on the manufacturer tag underneath the collar part of the jumper. On the right sleeve is an aerial gunner patch, but I am unable to identify the patch on the left sleeve. I have searched all over trying to find a patch like it but have been unable to find one. The Patch looks like a normal Navy rate patch, but there is an upper-case "G" in the middle of the patch. I was thinking maybe it was a gunner patch, but the google search results didn't show that. My next thought was maybe a glider? Interestingly enough as I was researching the patch, I discovered that the Navy did in fact have gliders during WW2. Forgive my lack of knowledge regarding the Navy, I primarily collect Airborne and USAAF items. Can anyone help me identify this patch? Also, if you could shed light on the job of an aerial gunner. Were all aerial gunners on flight crews? What type of aircraft had aerial gunners, etc. Thanks so much for your time! This forum is the best resource around!

Aerial Gunner patch:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Unknown "G" patch:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks everybody!
Regards,
Nick

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Thanks so much guys! Ok, next question. During wartime would the gunnery instructor actually be on a flight crew as denoted by the aerial gunner patch on the right sleeve? Or would he have been at a naval academy teaching guys about how to be aerial gunners? (I know, it may seem like a dumb question but like treetopflyer said, maybe we can all learn something new!) As always I so much appreciate you all!
Regards,
Nick

1930artdeco

Practically Family
More than likely he would have been at a school probably, Great Lakes, teaching new gunners. Now he could have stayed on as an instructor after graduating or been assigned after seeing combat. He may have also been in the field as a technical advisor-doubtful but possible. He also would have been part of a flight crew at some point in time so he would have the wings to match.

Mike

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
He also would have been part of a flight crew at some point in time so he would have the wings to match.

Mike
Not likely. In WWII Navy Enlisted Aircrewmen did not have wings. Pilots were the only aircrew that had a warfare insignia. The others were the Submariners. Surface guys didn’t even get warfare pins until the 70’s.

President_CHG

New in Town
That's not true, Treetop. They had the Aircrewman badge, which was the wings for aircrewmen who sustained injury or participated in patrols or action involving enemy craft and vessels.

Also, some enlisted men were trained as pilots. They had a special rating badge (patch) and sometimes wore wings (in officer's gold) on their enlisted uniforms. Not sure if that was official or not, but I've seen a few examples of enlisted uniforms brandishing them.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Navy enlisted rating of Naval Aviation Pilot were authorized to wear their specialty rating badge on their sleeve and Naval Aviator wings on the upper left chest. These were not Aircrewmen in the modern sense, they were pilots.

I guess I should have been more specific, that yes they did have Air Crew Insignia that was established early in 1943. But as stated by President_CHG, it was awarded to those enlisted personnel who had served as Aircrew members aboard combat flights. Although in WWII Officers were also eligible. They were not earned by all Aircrewmen like Aviator wings were earned by all pilots prior to getting to the fleet.

In WWII the Navy did not have the plethora of warfare insignia that the AAF did. The Navy has caught up with them on the number of specialty warfare qualification pins that are available in the fleet today. Both on the Officer and Enlisted side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff