Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Aviation Scarves (RAF, USAAF, etc.)

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Here is a link to a site that lists GI uniforms during the war periods between 1942 - 1945.They are a re-enactment group,that try their best to portray accurately and authentically,everything about the WW2 GI.This includes the uniforms etc,and the original information and guidelines.Here is the link:

http://www.1stidunit.org/uniform.htm

I think it may be a good idea to contact the site webmaster,and ask where he got his info from,as he may be able to point you to the solid clarification you are looking for.Here is what the page says about GI scarves,and if they were allowed to use civilian scarves.

Scarf, Wool, O.D.

There were several different styles of wool scarves available to the GIs, in varying shades of “mustard”, brown O.D., or green O.D. Also some soldiers had these sent from home. Just about any O.D. wool scarf is allowed. You may also wear civilian pattern scarves if you would like, just remember if it is too colorful it may draw sniper fire!!!

I hope this has been of help to you pearl.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I have an original 8x10 of two 90th division machine gunners in Feb.1945, and one of them is wearing an Army OD towel as a scarf. I have a fair number of original photos of soldiers during the Battle of the Bulge,and many of them are wearing scarves of one sort or another. Rather hard to tell from B&W photos,but they all seem to be pretty close in color to their M43 jackets, so these scarves were all likely OD in color.
Women's groups all over the country knit or sewed all sorts of items for servicemen, and usually sewed a small "Red Cross" label on them. I think I have several items put away in my militaria collection,and they are OD in color.

PearlnPinkSilk

New in Town
conclusion

First Off : an Endorsement of the World War II Museum......... I have been there and its a life altering experience. I have been hooked on the WWII Era every since. Before I was strictly a Civil war enthusist, so it diversified me. The website was very interesting.

I think that what have as far as documentation here is what I already suspected based on my research. There were scarves in the European Theatre, more than likely they were not military issue. However they were all very simular in appearance and color ranging from the Olive OD to the Yellowish OD.

I agree with Peacoat, its very logical a variety of scarves could have been sent in private packages to the front. It totally makes rhyme and reason. However photo documentation seems to be pointing that the Red Cross and Ladies magazines published patterns and these "group produced" scarves are far more common. Now as for existing originals....... there really no way to date and identify a random wool hand knitted scarf. Of course we naturally place OD hand knitted items in the WWII Era.

My Thanks to everyone.

Lisa Pace

leaette

A-List Customer
There were many women's groups and also the Redcross knitting and crocheting all kinds of items for soldiers and sailors.
I have a few original knitting pattern books that have specific military patterns to send to service men/women including: hats, gloves, fingerless gloves, scarves, dickie type sweaters, sweaters with long sleeves and also vests, and many other items.

I have a roll of Redcross fabric tags that were sewn onto these items. I sew them on the scarves that I make to sell.

1339lars

New in Town
Civilian scarf on godfrey

I am sorry but, at the moment I can not post any pics, but the scarf that Godfrey wears is a so called Ascot scarf, and it is private purchase (and a very common one)! And it is not a R.A.F issue. Most pilots wore silk scarfs to prevent shafing of their necks, by watching for "The hun in the sun".

Kopf-Jaeger

New in Town
MikePara, selling a relatives military stuff? That doesn't surprise me at all. You'd be surprised how much military stuff I've found sitting with the trash on the curbs. Quite a few people nowadays just don't seem to care anymore. It's a damn shame....

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
We own several original WWII aviator scarves - mostly white silk and rayon, most with fringe and a couple without. We actually found an original blue with white polka dots a couple of years ago at a flea market for around $5 - gave it to a friend of ours who collects RAF.

We also own several original WWII Red Cross knitted items, including a few scarves. Yes, patterns existed for these, but the ones we own vary quite a bit in knit and style. Very interesting.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Whithead said:
Just put a bid in on this...looks pretty close.

Feel free to bid if you would like to....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250705027041&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Good one to go for as many of the scarves worn by RAF aircrew were made by Tootal.

As well as the standard all silk scarf (like this), also very popular were those of the variety where the silk side was backed with a fine wool backing but these don't seem to turn up quite so often.

All the best with the auction and hope you are successful.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Just about every photo of a WWII pilot shows him (her for the WASPS) with the trademark white scarf. From my homework on the topic, the scarf was not simply for fashion, it was an important piece of flying kit worn to protect the neck from chafing against leather gear. There are many reproduction silk scarves currently on the market and I own one embroidered with an AAF logo (authentic or not, I have no clue). I have two questions for all you FL flyboys & flygirls...

1. Was the scarf a piece of issue gear to AAF and USN pilots? There's no mention in Maguire's book on flying gear (don't know about the Pinks & Greens book).

2. What fabric was the scarf made from? I always hear silk was the material but in photos of the original scarves they appear more substantial than today's reproductions. Perhaps the silk was just thicker.

Any educational feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I just saw an interview on TV with a WW2 veteran who was a B-17 pilot stationed in England. He said that he was presented a scarf after he soloed in school in Texas. I do not know if this was a tradition in every military flight school, but it would explain why so many AAF pilots had the white scarf as opposed to the RAF's wider variey.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24