Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Aviation Scarves (RAF, USAAF, etc.)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The RAF Fighterboy polkadot scarf

I have read some remarks here about "the Douglas Barder" polkadot scarf.
But where do I get a dark blue/white dots or red/burgundy/white dots scarf? Not just the small fancy ones tugged away in a shirt - but preferably also a longer silkscarf???

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Scarf

Usually on eBay-co.uk. Try searching on Tootal or Duggie.

Be aware that you'll be up against the Mods and scooter boys, so expect to pay around 30GBP for good 'un. Bader's was blue, as I'm sure you know.

See several previous threads on this topic.

Alan

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
I just saw some in the window of Doug Hayward Tailors in Mayfair, they had long scarves aswell. Here is their address -
95 Mount St,
Mayfair,
London W1K 2TA
Tel No - +44 207 499 5574

Good luck !

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Don't always follow the shearling when doing the RAF look...

So often at reenactment events, all the boys look like clones of each other. If you ask the likes of Alan (above) or Nigel, they will be the first to tell you how individual these guys were in character and in dress!

There was a functionality to these items (cravats, scarves..etc), but there was also great individuality too. So you can wear yellow, green, blue, red, maroon...and it goes on (like Joseph's coat!). Don't just have to have polka dot either, try a paisley style pattern, or art deco boxes..etc.
Plus you can further individualise it with a cricket sweater or a home knitted tank top, or an old woolly pully...YES, I'm serious!!

So plenty of room there for self expression and creating an authentic look that YOU are happy with :)

Good hunting.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thanks a lot

Thanks, I will investigate futher! (And sorry: I know it's Bader.... and not Barder. Just typing faster than my brain.)
Paddy - be sure I am deffinately NOT going to look like a clone. But I am just wild about the bright blue scarf with polkadots on the front page of Kaplan & Collier's book: "The Few". But you are so right - allmost everything will do.

tallyho

One of the Regulars
I had one made. Got some silk fabric in the color and size of dot I liked and had it made. looks great. I have also read about pilots getting scarves made by their girlfriends/wives out of their lingerie. Next time you're at a vintage store or wherever you get your stuff, look in the womens section. they are usually relay cheap and you dont have to worry about condition since youre going to cut it up anyway.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
USAAF red wool scarf...

I would like to know if the red wool scarf that gregory peck is wearing from "Twelve O'Clock High" in the below images ever existed for the USAAF or is it just a Hollywood fabrication?
I know the first image looks a little brown, but I did a painting of this same image years ago, and the image I referenced was a far better color image and showed Gregory wearing a red scarf.

25106_standard.jpg

12high.jpg

If they did exist, are there any reproductions being made anywhere, and could I please see an example being worn? (either original or repro)

In the following site they show an example of one intermixed with other items but a search of the HPA site doesn't find any for sale.
http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/eastmanlanding_2.php

Thanks for any input y'all can provide, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Dan

Hondo

One Too Many
I tended to believe many pilots brought, unofficial carried items such as wool scarf’s; neck warmers along on missions from mom’s, wives, girlfriends, after writing about the high altitudes on missions, I’ve heard that on B17 flights it got as low as 44 degrees below zero. Pilots had a slight advantage of having cockpit with heaters, the rest of the crew had to bundle up (wool) with no heaters to keep from freezing.

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
I absolutely agree to Hondo´s explanations.
There are so many photos in the books where different styles of scarfs can be seen.
In the 1991 Mephis Belle movie Billy Zane wore a red silk scarf with white polka dots. I believe it was a private used scarf and the director and prop master have done it correct.
I also rode that sometimes pieces of damaged chutes had been cut for such a use.

Cheers J.B.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Bomber pilots I can understand...

But for the fighter pilots, wool would not likely have been their choice. The scarf served a functional purpose for a fighter jock... In order to protect themselves from getting blown out of the sky, they had to keep swiveling their heads constantly. The constant movement, against a wool shirt and/or a leather jacket caused chafing. So that's why silk scarves were worn.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
You fighter pilot types, where can I get a silk scarf?

My brother is an avid motorcyclist and has often expressed an interest in keeping his neck from chafing with a silk scarf (much like a Hurricane pilot, he's got to keep his head on a swivel, to see those SUVs coming out of the sun). Any idea where a fellow on a budget can pick one up for a Christmas gift? Something RAF-ish would be great, since he likes the British bikes.

-Dave

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I also got a very nice long silk navy blue scarf w. white polkadots from Bromleys, UK.
Just might be better than a cravat, when riding a motorbike.
You might try them....good luck.

PearlnPinkSilk

New in Town
Civilian Scarves for the Enlisted man

I am a newbie here. I needed some expert information...so I came here!

Would it have been possible for a WWII Enlisted GI to wear a civilian, non military issued scarf ? Can anyone provide images to document such an occassion?

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I know that the Japanese had a 1000 stitch belt that their loved ones would make. The women ask other women to put one stitch in a cloth belt till they had a total of a 1000. This was supposedly good luck for the soldiers. They worked as well as the Indian "Ghost Shirts" those weren't bullet proof either.

Davep

One of the Regulars
A lot of things made there way to the front lines and soldiers. Here is an example of some scarves/ascots being worn by the 34th Infantry, known as the Red Bulls.

ascot.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
In the winter anything would be possible if the soldier could get his hands on a scarf, civilian or otherwise. It is cold in Europe in the winter!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Not a GI - and not enlisted - but most certainly USAAF.

The scarf is deffinately not USAAF property.
Not even RAF...allthough Godfrey started aout in RAf Eagle Sq. and it was a favourit among The Few.
godfreystor-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24