Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII In Color - B-10

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Watched a bit of the series, WWII In Color. Noted that many ground personnel were wearing what looked like B-10 jackets.

Is the B-10 a popular item? Are they warmer than the A-2 and G-1 jackets? With the fur lining it would appear that these are indeed suited for cold climates.

Having owned my A-2 for a short time, they are not suited to arctic temps at all. That is fine as the climate in North Texas will allow me to wear the coat three seasons...everything except the dreaded summer!

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen the footage you refer to but I would have thought they were more likely to be wearing D-1 shearling jackets, I don't recall seeing many examples of groundcrew wearing B-10's but I may be mistaken. The B-10 being cloth outer and alpaca wool lining is indeed very warm and comfortable to wear. The D-1 is a much lighter weight jacket than the B-3 and suited groundcrew use due to its sheepskin lining and comfort.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Not familiar with the D-1. The troops were wearing sage/khaki colored cloth jackets with large fur collars in a brown or reddish color. Looked very much like the B-10. Maybe even a B-15. Did not see any guys on the ground wearing B-3's...just the B-17 waist gunners.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Is the B-10...warmer than the A-2 and G-1 jackets? With the fur lining it would appear that these are indeed suited for cold climates.

The A-2 and the G-1 are not warm jackets, but they were never meant to be. They are windbreakers only. There isn't a speck of insulation in either of them. The B-10 is much warmer because it is insulated with alpaca fur and it cut full enough to trap warm air against the wearer's body.

AF

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
This is a full episode of the "Color of War." It's not the "Aftermath" episode (it doesn't seem to be out available to stream), but it is all about the aircrews...all color footage. Great episode.

[video=youtube;7KmVJfwA21o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KmVJfwA21o[/video]

- Ian

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The A-2 and the G-1 are not warm jackets, but they were never meant to be. They are windbreakers only. There isn't a speck of insulation in either of them. The B-10 is much warmer because it is insulated with alpaca fur and it cut full enough to trap warm air against the wearer's body.

AF

How was it that the A-2 / G-1 were issued to the pilots and crews flying around at 30,000 ft. where the temp is -40 C? I see the footage where the crews are wearing A-2 jackets. I know they also wore the B-3.

They did augment the heat by plugging in the flight suits to electrical heating elements. Wonder if anyone ever had a short circuit in their undergarments?

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
The A-2 was intended as a summer/warm weather flight jacket. The G-1 (M-422a in WWII) was an "intermediate" flight jacket. Both the Army Air Force and the Navy also issued winter/cold weather (sheepskin) flying gear to flight crews.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
How was it that the A-2 / G-1 were issued to the pilots and crews flying around at 30,000 ft. where the temp is -40 C? I see the footage where the crews are wearing A-2 jackets. I know they also wore the B-3.

They did augment the heat by plugging in the flight suits to electrical heating elements. Wonder if anyone ever had a short circuit in their undergarments?

Thor answered the question well. The A-2 and G-1 were summer weight flight jackets that were worn inside enclosed and heated cockpits. If one was flying in an open cockpit at 30,000 feet, he would wear a heavier sheepskin coat and matching trousers. Also, bomber crews wore electrically heated bunny suits under their B-3s. It is important to remember that the A-2 was discontinued in 1943, at the peak of the war, and replaced by the B-10. It was replaced in large part because it wasn't worth a damn if you were flying around at 30,000 feet.

AF

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav