Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Jacket Questions

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the A-2 has that mix of cool and contemporary that makes it a great vintage item without feeling like fancy dress.

Stand By

One Too Many
A2 !
And just be sure to make it a really good one - remember: buy cheap, buy twice. (I did. I wish I'd known that before I bought my first "A2"! "You have to pay to learn" as my dad used to tell me - except around here where you can learn for free from those of us who learned the hard way!)
Enjoy the hunt!

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
I have met others in A-2's. One walking on a pedestrian bridge in Japan. We did not speak the same verbal language, but there was a communication there, in that we both were into the A-2 jacket.

I remember when I got my first A-2 - I got the "Indiana Jones" crap from day-one. But I don't see many A-2's unless we're at an event (reenacting).

Edward

Bartender
I remember when I got my first A-2 - I got the "Indiana Jones" crap from day-one. But I don't see many A-2's unless we're at an event (reenacting).

A colleague once referred to my "Indy gear" - that day, an Aero USN AN6552, and a narrow-brimmed brown trilby/fedora. lol

Plumbline

One Too Many
I'm not a big fan of the A-2 ( unusually for here) ... and elastic bootm and cuff jackets in general ... with the possible exception of the USN single weave jackets ( and even then it's a love hate thing). So for that reason and the reasons of stylistic preference I'd go Luftwaffe. The Eastman Hartmann or Luftwaffe come up quite regularly on ebay and you should be able to pick one up. They're very practical and can be worn in a variety of guises ( like the A-2) and they're superbly made.

HTH

If you do go the Luftwaffe route, don't forget the buckle at the bottom of the zipper. Bugs some folks....not others.
I own an Eastman Luftwaffe.
Very well made jacket....very stylish.
I rarely wear it. The metal buckle at the bottom of the zipper is a distraction for me unless I wear it zipped and buckled...which isn't all that often.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
A colleague once referred to my "Indy gear" - that day, an Aero USN AN6552, and a narrow-brimmed brown trilby/fedora. lol
It was the whip and golden amulet you were carrying with you that was the big give away, though, wasn't it?:D

Stand By

One Too Many
I'm not a big fan of the A-2 ( unusually for here) ... and elastic bootm and cuff jackets in general ... with the possible exception of the USN single weave jackets ( and even then it's a love hate thing). So for that reason and the reasons of stylistic preference I'd go Luftwaffe. The Eastman Hartmann or Luftwaffe come up quite regularly on ebay and you should be able to pick one up. They're very practical and can be worn in a variety of guises ( like the A-2) and they're superbly made.

HTH

All very good points, Plumbline.
And the Luftwaffe has 3 more pockets and is more practical for that too, and, being black, it goes with anything.
But it is warmer - so that may be a deal-breaker in itself?

But that being said, I recall when I first got my A2 from Aviation Leathercraft back in 1988 - and soon after (1989/1990), my pal was inspired to get his own flight jacket and he opted for an ELC Luftwaffe (made in steerhide in those days, which I didn't care for - like my then-A2!) and I thought it really suited him - but me? Not so much. I just thought that my A2 suited me better and I felt better in it. And, at the time (and still so today), I felt more affinity with the USAAF than the Luftwaffe if that makes any sense ... but that's just me.
Fast forward to today and, amongst others, I have my own ELC Luftwaffe (in HH) which I love - but I tend to reserve it as my "dress jacket".
I think about what jacket I'd choose back then if I had the chance to hop in a TARDIS and do it again - and I'd still go A2 - but an ELC or Aero as they were around then. I would also have made the time to visit both companies, try on their A2s and decide for myself which I preferred.

BUT! If it was today, I'd go for an ANJ-3 - which has the same colour and immediate appearance of an A2 which I really like - but more practicality and comfort IMHO.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Actually, yes, an ANJ-3 is an excellent compromise. A bit different, but the bi-swing back makes a more forgiving fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner