Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Peacoat Acquisition

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Doesn't look baggy. Maybe you're used to a more modern trim fit. Seems to me clothes from the current era are about two styles of fit - oversized or undersized. Where are the just right options?? And why do young men today wear tight suits with no arse and short sleeves? Where's my whiskey?

Peacoat

Bartender
I like your modeling positions. You can make any peacoat look good. Reminds me of my modeling days.

If what you have feels "baggy" to you, then go down a size, whether it is WWII or post war. That ought to give you a snug fit.

And BTW, welcome to the Lounge. Mr. Peacoat.

Last edited:

Pea Felix

New in Town
…To be frank, I was just fooling around. But you're right, the line between modeling and silliness is razor thin.
That said, it's an honor, Mr. Peacoat. I'll post some brand new poses with my 32ish WWII peacoat (it shipped three days ago from VT) when i'll get my hands on it.

Pea Felix

New in Town
Doesn't look baggy. Maybe you're used to a more modern trim fit. Seems to me clothes from the current era are about two styles of fit - oversized or undersized. Where are the just right options?? And why do young men today wear tight suits with no arse and short sleeves? Where's my whiskey?

No, I'm looking for a trimmer fit, but reasonably old fashioned. I'm quite narrow hipped, so I'd like to dress properly for my last years before the spare tire sunset to come.
Otherwise, dear Seb, I'm old enough to join you in waving fist at these drop-crotch-short-suit youngsters. Where's my Nebbiolo?

Last edited:

Pea Felix

New in Town
Here it is.
"Excellent condition"? I'd say "very good". Time took away a good deal of wool from the shell, and, as Jan already said, the chemical washing before shipping seems to have been a little aggressive.
That said, I like it very, very much.
Coming soon a full review, complete with real measurements (in fact, it's a 34R).

In the meantime,
pictures:

2mp9yso.jpg

207kdhx.jpg

xmk8cx.jpg

21jrgq9.jpg

2hevijc.jpg

59u5o6.jpg

...And the most stupidest one (yes, "most stupid" didn't sound stupid enough):

t7hjdx.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Excellent fit. It is almost too short in the torso, but fortunately, it is just long enough.

When you do the measurements, please follow my recommendations for the p2p measurement. A size 34 in post WWII will measure consistently at 19" for the p2p. I am interested to see what the WWII measures.

Pea Felix

New in Town
On VintageTrends the coat was listed as a size 32, but it has no tag, so we can derive the actual size from measurements:

p2p 19,3'' (49 cm);
shoulder to shoulder 18 (46 cm);
shoulder seam to end of the cuff 24,5'' (62 cm)
length 30,7'' (78 cm).

For comparison, my labelled 34R 1966 peacoat (photos on page 2) measures:
p2p 19'' (48 cm);
shoulder to shoulder 17,7 (45 cm);
shoulder seam to end of the cuff 25'' (63 cm)
length 29,5'' (75 cm).

They are quite different in shape, and the overall cut of the WWII one is remarkably trimmer, in spite of its slightly greater p2p.

Peacoat

Bartender
On VintageTrends the coat was listed as a size 32, but it has no tag, so we can derive the actual size from measurements:

p2p 19,3'' (49 cm);
shoulder to shoulder 18 (46 cm);
shoulder seam to end of the cuff 24,5'' (62 cm)
length 30,7'' (78 cm).

For comparison, my labelled 34R 1966 peacoat (photos on page 2) measures:
p2p 19'' (48 cm);
shoulder to shoulder 17,7 (45 cm);
shoulder seam to end of the cuff 25'' (63 cm)
length 29,5'' (75 cm).

They are quite different in shape, and the overall cut of the WWII one is remarkably trimmer, in spite of its slightly greater p2p.

Thanks for the measurements. I am surprised the WWII is one cm wider than the post WWII. Instead of 19.25", I would have expected it to be right at 19". Not surprised it fits trimmer than the post WWII coat, though. It gives you a good fit.

Pea Felix

New in Town
Yes. Could it be a tight 36? The fact that these old coats often come with no size number makes quite aleatory talking about size in terms of 34, 36, etc.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes. Could it be a tight 36? The fact that these old coats often come with no size number makes quite aleatory talking about size in terms of 34, 36, etc.

That is certainly possible. Who knows? I mean that was over 70 years ago. Anyone who would know for sure has probably passed on to his reward. It is up to the subsequent generations, to carry on the tradition. I think the words of Muddy Waters, speaking of a different genre, are instructive: "Ron, you white boys are going to have carry it (the blues) on because the young blacks coming along today don't carry nothin' about it." So, it is up to us to carry on the tradition and history of these old coats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany