Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Planes filling the skies over...Burbank!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Over the weekend we saw an unusual amount of WWII aircraft in the skies over the San Fernando Valley. B-17's, B-24's, Japanese Zeros, etc. We usually see some of such, but usually closer to Memorial Day. And, as always, the sight was quite spectacular. Does anyone know of anything special that might have been going on or if they were being used for a film? Just curious.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I heard they were giving (selling) rides last weekend.
Saw that B-17 3 times right overhead.
I heard it before I saw it. Those engines have a sound like nothing else.
There are quite often vintage aircraft over SF Valley.
Lot of planes built right here in Burbank during the war. I think mostly P-38 Lightnings.
Most of the time I see T-6 Texans.
Pretty cool.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Tora Tora Tora!

When I was stationed in Honolulu in 1967, I spent many a happy hour watching them "bomb" Pearl Harbor from the movie Tora! Tora! Tora! Most of the time there were about 6 or 7 T-6's painted up to look like Japanese bombers, but sometimes there were as many as a dozen. The noise they made! I was once at a rec center right on the water at Pearl, and 6 of them zoomed over at about 50 feet above the deck. VWRRROOOOMMMM! I tried to extrapolate that sensation out to 360 airplanes to get a true feeling of the actual event. Wow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred