Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dad's WWII US Army Khaki visor service cap

Jayessgee

Familiar Face
Dad's WWII Khaki visor service cap... At least, I think that's what it's called. In my day we just called them "saucer" or "bus driver" hats.

This one was not much used and has had less than excellent care having been basically just stuffed in Mom's old cedar chest with my old US (real) and Confederate Army (reenactor) uniforms among sundry other odd bits and stuff of family memorabilia.

Dad was an MP so he likely wore it on a number of occasions. He also served in the "CBI"* 43-45.
* "China-Burma-India" theater of operations.

You know, I once had a fellow from India say my Dad was an invader. Not hardly! I pointed out to the, the, ---- (Expletive(s) withheld out of courtesy but, you should be able to well imagine!) that when the war ended, we went home! That is not, NOT, what "invaders" usually do. I guess we should have left them to the Japanese. I guess he'd have been happier working for the good of the Japanese run "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere!" Hmpphhh!!!

Just thought I'd share it.

Dad's WWII visor  hat 00.JPG
Dad's WWII visor hat 01.JPG Dad's WWII visor hat 02.JPG Dad's WWII visor hat 03 sweat band turn out.JPG Dad's WWII visor hat 04.JPG Dad's WWII visor hat rain cover inside.jpg Dad's WWII visor hat rain cover top-out side.jpg Dad's WWII visor hat badge.JPG

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-13_21-55-55.jpeg
    upload_2016-4-13_21-55-55.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 137

Jayessgee

Familiar Face
I just remembered something I meant to add but, let the time limit to edit pass. C'est la vie.

I was going to comment on the numbers in the hat's sweat band. It looks hand lettered. Now, dad had a very neat hand, cursive and print, as did his father. I'm guessing Dad did it. Seems unlike a manufacturer's marking and Dad's (mine too) last name initial is G, rather a stretch for coincidence. I'll have to do a little digging to see if that had any connection with his serial number. That's obviously not all of one.

Last note. That attached image of the Greater Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" was not meant to be included. Being essentially lazy, and having double checked the title on-line, I decided to just copy and paste it. It seems the image piggy backed along. I thought I had deleted it. I guess not.

Baggers

Practically Family
Just working from memory, that should be the last (or first?) four digits of his service number preceded by the initial of his last name. Hat and caps were always marked on the inside of the sweatband. All issued clothing items got the same marking in a specific location.

Jayessgee

Familiar Face
Just working from memory, that should be the last (or first?) four digits of his service number preceded by the initial of his last name. Hat and caps were always marked on the inside of the sweatband. All issued clothing items got the same marking in a specific location.
Thanks. Yeah, that makes sense. What surprised me is that there is no other markings of any kind in it. No equivalent of an nsn (National Stock Number), makers mark anything and nothing. I'd say it was better made than the one I was issued. In particular, mine was lopsided. Stuck out further on one side than the other. I hated that. But, they said it wasn't a sufficient enough defect to exchange it so I chucked it and bought another. That hurt because I hardly ever wore it and the durn things weren't cheap!

Yeah, I check and those numbers were the last four of his serial number and, as I noted above, G was his initial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner