Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Reading List

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Not to over-sticky the stickies, but I think a really interesting and helpful thread would be a recommended reading list for WWII topics. Zemke Fan, your post about Last Look started me thinking, even as I am trolling Amazon and Bookfinder for more books on AAC and AAF uniforms. (I'd like copies of Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens and More Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens, but just can't afford them, so I'm hunting for good alternatives.) I tried doing a search, but end up getting overwhelmed with topics containing the words "reading" and "list" and so forth.

It seems like the overwhelming majority here prefer the air side, but I'm sure there are other interests out there, as well (e.g. Mr Berns has a strong interest in war photographers and journalism). I'd love to see info on the books that are out there, including a little review of them to help me to decide how to spend my meager pay. I'd really like to tap into all the knowledge on this board!

If another sticky is not what folks would like, maybe even a listing of links to other sites with good reading lists would be an option.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Thinking about this as well...

Have been carrying four books around in my briefcase to read on the commuter train this week. They're all from the Osprey "Men-at-Arms" Series and feature color uniform illustrations as the centerpiece. The list prices run between $14.95 and $16.95.

Here they are:

1. The U.S. Army, 1941-45. Highly recommended. Lots of great photos and reprints from the 1942-44 Officer's Guides.

2. Allied Commanders of World War II. My personal favorite. Shows how all of the big shots dressed.

Q5227AL.JPG
Q4204AL.JPG

3. U.S. Army Air Force. Great reference volume.

4. The Royal Air Force, 1939-45. Another great book. All of the RAF uniform variants, including (my interest) the Africa campaign.

P2951AL.JPG
Q9664AL.JPG

All of these are available directly from Osprey Publishing. Many are also available from Amazon.com used book sellers at significant discounts.

PS: Just placed an order for this volume for $11.00 from an Amazon used book seller:

S4744AL.JPG

ZF

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good ideas on another section of our library!

I'll start compiling generic books on WWII and have a sticky section in our reference library for that. As you post them on 'this thread' I'll compile a list at my end and then upload onto the reference library for all to reference! Great idea ladies and gents!!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Book Review: VIII Fighter Command at War

Title: VIII Fighter Command at War 'Long Reach'
Author: Compiled by Michael O'Leary
Publisher: Osprey Publishing
Date: 2000
List Price: $23.95
Availability: In Print
Cover Art:

VIII_FC.jpg

Reviewer: Zemke Fan
Stars: *****

Review: This book contains first hand narrative from two dozen of the leading fighter pilots from the VIII Army Air Force describing the tactics they successfully employed against the Luftwaffe. The book would be worth purchasing for this information alone, but it ALSO includes dozens of fantastic black and white photographs of the pilots, their planes, and other subjects. In addition, there are color plates showing: (1) the P-47, P-51, and P-38 planes flown by these pilots in their original color schemes; and (2) eight illustrations of the pilots in their period "kit."

This is a must-have item for any serious student of the VIII Fighter Command and I highly recommend it.

falcodriver

New in Town
I doubt I match the background, number of WWII books read of many of you here, but after 35 years of reading WWII materials the best I have seen about the whole scope of the war is 'World War II', by John Keegan. It is a comprehensive and thorough overview of the war in it's entirety. Highly recommended.*****

Duane

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot

Just saw an ad for this new book today, but I haven't seen the actual book. Might be interesting.

Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot

Author: Starr Smith
Starr Smith, with foreword by Walter Cronkite. Of all the celebrities who served their country during World War II - and they were legion - Jimmy Stewart was unique. On December 7th, when the attack on Pearl Harbor woke so many others to the reality of the war, Stewart was already serving-as a private on guard duty at the Army Air Corps Moffet Field south of San Francisco. Seeing war on the horizon, Jimmy Stewart, at the height of his fame after Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, had enlisted several months earlier. Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot chronicles the stars long journey to become a bomber pilot in combat. Author Starr Smith recounts how Stewarts first battles were with the Air Corps high command, who insisted on keeping the naturally talented pilot out of harms way as an instructor pilot for B-17 Flying Fortresses and B-24 Liberators. We learn how, by 1944, Stewart managed to get assigned to a Liberator squadron that was deploying to England to join the mighty Eighth Air Force - and how, once in the thick of it, he rose to command his own squadron and flew twenty combat missions, including one to Berlin. Written by a public relations officer assigned to Stewart, Jimmy Stewart, Bomber Pilot offers a fascinating, firsthand look at the making of a true American star.
Hardcover - 5-1/2"x 8-1/2" - 288 pp - 64 b/w

?¢‚Ǩ?ìMy father would feel honored by this book.?¢‚Ǩ? ?¢‚Ǩ‚ÄùKelly Stewart Harcourt, daughter of Jimmy Stewart

?¢‚Ǩ?ìWe would have made Jimmy a group commander if the war had lasted another month.?¢‚Ǩ? ?¢‚Ǩ‚ÄùGeneral Jimmy Doolittle, World War II commander of the Eighth Air Force in England

And here's where I saw it advertised...http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/ProductDetails_16600.ncm

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I just picked up these today,so I haven't read them yet and can't review the text. The reason I bought them is mainly for the fantastic color photographs that were taken at the time.

The first up is:
Fighters of World War II by Jeffrey L. Ethell and Robert T. Sand
Published by: Lowe & B. Hould
ISBN 0-681-60718-1
Year published: 1991
176 pages, softcover

Second is:
Bombers of World War II by Jeffrey L. Ethell
Published by: Lowe & B. Hould
ISBN 0-681-60722-X
Year published: 1994
180 Pages, softcover

They were both priced at $7.99 in the bargain section of Borders Books. Each one has a large selection of original color photographs of the planes and the men who flew and fixed them. The 'Fighters' book has some very good shots of various uniforms and flight jackets which will be of interest to the jacket collectors here. Nice to have on one's coffee (or tea) table for a bit of eye candy. Best regards, Sefton

colleency

One of the Regulars
My nephew is 15, and he is very interested in World War II, especially paratroopers. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book I could get him?

Uberneot

New in Town
If you're interested in personal accounts of the war, "Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War 2" by Raymond Gantter is very good. It's made up of his field notes and letters home. Gantter's perspective is interesting as he was a German speaking (American), older college graduate with a wife and two children, things not shared with most of his fellow soldiers. It's interesting to read his feelings on his childhood family traditions which were all German, and then having to fight Germans. There is not a tremendous amount of action in the book, but as the old adage goes, "War is hours of boredom punctuated with moments of sheer terror." If you're interested in the day to day life of a "common" American soldier, it's a good read.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Vanessa said:

Vanessa, I just ordered a couple of these for my wife, who is currently studying to be a Nurse Practitioner. I think they'll make great X-mas gifts. She is currently a Pharmacy Technician in our ANG unit, and plans to get her commission as soon as she finishes school. I think she will really enjoy reading these.

Thanks for the recommendations!

airfrogusmc

Suspended
I thought it was WWII Paratroopers but I recently finished Battle Cry (Corps WWII) by Leon Uris and a great book about Nam A Rumor of War by Phillip Caputo (also Corps)..

Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest by Ambrose is just incredible. The series the was on HBO also on DVD is maybe the best war film I've ever seen, EVER...

Vanessa

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Vanessa, I just ordered a couple of these for my wife, who is currently studying to be a Nurse Practitioner. I think they'll make great X-mas gifts. She is currently a Pharmacy Technician in our ANG unit, and plans to get her commission as soon as she finishes school. I think she will really enjoy reading these.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I've finished all but the last & highly recommend them. Let me know how she likes them.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Review of U.S. Army Uniforms of World War II

I just received a copy of U.S. Army Uniforms of World War II by Shelby Stanton (1991). It's not new so many of you are probably already familiar with it, but this is a really great book! For starters, Stanton has literally hundreds of photographs, something you can't get enough of in a book about uniforms. Second, Stanton does an excellent job of describing the variations, and including the years the variations were introduced. Lastly, Stanton not only identifies the uniforms, but the people wearing them. Almost every photo--with the exception of the official Army photographs of uniform combinations--has at least one individual identified. I found this personalization very poignant, and it really helps to connect this book to the people that trained, worked, fought, and died in these uniforms.

The only problem I have with this book is the organization. Broadly the book is broken down into various uniform types, including Service Dress, headgear, combat uniforms, wet weather gear, etc, which I liked quite a bit. Within the sections, however, the order was not chronological, and frequently jumped around. I was also less interested in the proposed, but never implemented, uniforms,--such as the M1943 Experimental Combat Outfit--than I was in the unifroms that were used in the various theaters. The lack of chronologic order makes it difficult to see the transition of particular uniforms items without excessive page flipping.

One point this book drives home with vigor is the variation of uniforms, as well as the large number of private purchase items that were worn. Stanton is very careful about noting small details in each photograph, including particular pieces of individual equipment, small variations in particular uniform pieces, and non-standard gear as it was employed.

Overall, this is a fantastic book, and at an incredibly reasonable price. At $13.57 from Amazon, this book cannot be beat. I ordered mine with an $11 discount CD of Vera Lynn's wartime hits to capitalize on the free shipping option, which made for nice background music while I perused the book.

Vanessa, I've also received the copy of And If I Perish, and another book on WWII nurses, Angels of Mercy. I may have to read these myself before I wrap them up for my wife! Angels is a pretty short book, almost like a coffee table book, that was a pretty good bargain, so I went ahead and ordered it.

Biggles

New in Town
Any of The Osprey titles are good value for money...As well as "Band of Brothers",Ambrose has also written "Pegasus Bridge" about the British airbourne on D-Day......There's also Cornelius Ryan's three titles..."The Longest Day","A Bridge too Far", and "The Last Battle"...A personal favourite is Max Hastings's "Bomber Command"...lots of stuff from the sharp end,AND a good overview of the strategic bombing debates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy