Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Reenacting Discussion Thread

JennyLou

Practically Family
I joined up with the 45th Field Hospital a couple of months ago. We had one event recently and have one coming up in October. I can't wait for it!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I've been a longtime member and C.O. of a Homefront living history group (Kilroy's Homefront Commandos). We specialize in, but aren't limited to Civilian Defense impressions. However, lately I've joined fellow Lounger (and fellow Kilroy's Homefront member) MPicciotto at APS - Airmen's Preservation Society (Capital Wing), and have done two events with them this summer (Geneseo, NY and Lancaster, PA) as their RAF Liaison Officer.

For those about to ask, yes, Kilroy's Homefront Commandos is how I got my user name here on the Lounge.

p51

One Too Many
priestyboy said:
Am looking for some AAF group(s) in the Seattle/Olympia, WA area!
There are guys in the Friends of Willie and Joe group who do AAF, contact me offline. I assume you’ll be at the Olympia fly-in in June? Come by and say hello!

cco23i

A-List Customer
Dixon Cannon said:
There isn't much WWII re-enacting here in the Arizona desert, especially because the summers are so freakin' hot! A bunch of us put together a Luftwaffe contingent to support the CAF's display of their once proud Heinkel 111. When the Heinkel met it's tragic demise a few years ago, there wasn't much need for a 'crew' anymore.

8ef5d298.jpg

About the only place to show off our kit is at the annual CAF 'Night In the 40's' swing dance each March. The next day it becomes too hot to wear a leather jacket!

-Oberst Dixon von Cannon

More than you think Dix! Our unit does AAF ground crew and do events ALL OVER! There are German as well as American AND Yugoslavian and Bulgarian and of course Russian here in AZ! PM me anyone wanting to do USAAF ground crew living history, yup, we play with REAL airplanes!

Scott

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
While I'm still involved in living history (I can't call myself a reenactor because I really don't reenact anything - no battles, etc.) - I'm now more involved with the U-Boat Society (UK based group).

They aren't limited to just U-Boat crew man impressions, as they include DRK and Marinehelferin too.

http://theuboatsociety.proboards.com/

(and yes, I know I replied awhile ago to the thread :) )

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I had my own group for awhile. We were the 13th Air Force Living History Detachment. We portrayed different squadrons of the 13th Air Force as well as my father's unit, the HQ Squadron, XIII Fighter Command. I ended up disbanding the group due to an error on my part. I forgot to include the part in the application dealing with "Have you ever been charged with a felony?". I ended up with a child molester in the group. He probably would have lied anyway but it would have been easier to get him out of the group. I decided it was best to end the organization than to end up with a possible fight. I will eventually bring the group back and will be smarter this time.

Story

I'll Lock Up
StetsonHomburg said:
I can find anything in there about reenactment... But it is a great store but the look of it and because it is in calgary I can just pick it up. lol

If they sell to reenactors and they're in Calgary, then logic would dictate that they'd know what reenactors - or groups - are in the area.

lritger

New in Town
Last year, my wife and I attended the first Valentine's Day Hangar Dance at the Military Aviation Museum in Va Beach, and I was bitten by the "living history" bug pretty hard. :) I had put together a piecemeal uniform which looked pretty decent for last year's event but I wasn't thrilled with it. That's all changed, though, since finding an absolutely mint WWII-vintage custom tailored USAAF Class A uniform on Ebay this January, including shirt, pants and tie. The true miracle of that find is that all the elements actually fit me, since I'm 6' 1" and 180 pounds!

Here's a photo of us at this year's Hangar Dance... it's awesome to see the reactions of people who see this photo, almost every single one has asked if that's my dad. lol

us_valentinesdance1944_sm.jpg

We'll be at the Military Aviation Museum's WWII Weekend coming up next week as well, and I cannot wait to get back out there! While I don't really have the time to devote to a re-enacting unit, but I do my level best to represent the appearance and bearing of a WWII-era USAAF officer, and the reactions are uniformly positive- my favorite comments are from the people who observe that "your uniform looks so REAL!"

Lynn

indieflmkr

Familiar Face
Reenactors

MK:

This month I will be starting my 11th year of WWII reenacting.

There are a few resources for tracking down reenactors (Not comprehensive):

http://www.reenactor.net/forums/index.php?page=17

http://ww2reenactors.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://www.chgww2.net/

http://www.nwha.org/

http://www.worldwartwohrs.org/

Most larger groups (and a few smaller ones) publish their own newsletters.

Also, this website has a fairly comprehensive listing of WWII event around the country:

http://www.20thcenturygi.com/

If you send me a press release, I can get it to the WWII HRS folks. indieflmkr @ aim dot com

MPicciotto

Practically Family
lritger said:
Last year, my wife and I attended the first Valentine's Day Hangar Dance at the Military Aviation Museum in Va Beach, and I was bitten by the "living history" bug pretty hard. :) I had put together a piecemeal uniform which looked pretty decent for last year's event but I wasn't thrilled with it. That's all changed, though, since finding an absolutely mint WWII-vintage custom tailored USAAF Class A uniform on Ebay this January, including shirt, pants and tie. The true miracle of that find is that all the elements actually fit me, since I'm 6' 1" and 180 pounds!

Here's a photo of us at this year's Hangar Dance... it's awesome to see the reactions of people who see this photo, almost every single one has asked if that's my dad. lol

us_valentinesdance1944_sm.jpg

We'll be at the Military Aviation Museum's WWII Weekend coming up next week as well, and I cannot wait to get back out there! While I don't really have the time to devote to a re-enacting unit, but I do my level best to represent the appearance and bearing of a WWII-era USAAF officer, and the reactions are uniformly positive- my favorite comments are from the people who observe that "your uniform looks so REAL!"

Lynn

Stop by and say hi! The Capital Wing of the APS will be thre for the show. I will be in the Chaplain's Tent.

Matt

the hairy bloke

Familiar Face
Over here in the UK the WWII re-enactment scene is quite strong, but many of it's participants can be a bit cagey, as the "media" are after those do German (from any arm).

I must say that those who do German WWII who I have met over twenty years of other re-enacting have been great (I remember a drunken evening with the 633rd Panzer Grenadiers).

My other Half and I have been thinking about adding this period to those we already do (Viking and Napoleonic).

I have fancied doing 13eme DBLE, the "Gaullist" regiment of the Foreign Legion, but the problem I would have is I would have to cut off my pony-tail (something I am quite proud of) which is okay for the other two periods we do.

As far as I know the only two long haired outfits I could do would be the Yugoslav chetniks, or 19th Indian Armourd division, and I feel odd about doing either.

A lot of Brits do re-enact US forces (I have a female friend who is with a Ranger outfit). But oddly the majority seem to come from the British Midlands (around Birmingham).

cco23i

A-List Customer
Issues with reenactor

O.K all,
After the one comment on the Marine section of this forum, I am curious why people have issues with reenactors? As a recently retired Air Force crew chief I have no problems with persons who never served as well as vets playing the part of WW2 military. Thoughts?

Scott

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Scott

I've been told by WW2 vets, that WW2 sucked and the whole concept of reenacting something that sucked is really stupid. Some people who aren't and weren't in the military see you as being a "poser" which is bad in this decade. I guess they didn't watch Urban Cowboy...

From a reenactor standpoint, playing the part of a Civil War soldier (in my case) helps to learn about what happened in the life of that soldier. Pickett's charge only happened once, but the guys playing the part of the Union at Gettysburg said it was scary as hell because you could see every Rebel but you could only see so many friends.

I've helped my older scouts to make hard tack, they loved it fresh, but we left some for a few months (no bugs) and it wasn't so good anymore. One issue that Civil war and reenacters of both world wars have is that it takes a mature (probably fat and balding) guy to be able to afford the weaponry, uniforms, etc of another era. The only fat bald guys in those war were Generals, and no everyone is supposed to be a general.

Hope this helped...

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
One issue that Civil war and reenacters of both world wars have is that it takes a mature (probably fat and balding) guy to be able to afford the weaponry, uniforms, etc of another era. The only fat bald guys in those war were Generals, and no everyone is supposed to be a general..
I have always been keenly interested in the American Civil War but have never joined a reenactment group for this very reason. By the time I was able to afford the proper equipment and clothing, I was too old and fat to look anything like a Civil War soldier...especially a gaunt, rangy, mid-war Confederate.

Truthfully, I don’t know any vets who are upset by non-vet re-enactors…at least none who have openly said so to me. I would think that such an attitude might put a person on the slippery slope, anyhow. Carried to its logical extreme, a former Boonie Rat might look down on a former REMF who was playing a Boonie Rat, and a former REMF might look down on a former Stateside Pogue who was playing a REMF….and a former Pogue might look down on some Non Vet who was playing a Pogue.

AF

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A related point: at an anniversary re-enactment of Pickett's Charge, a former Confederate, now in his dotage, said it was impossible to do a real Rebel Yell with a belly full of food and a mouth emptied of teeth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner