Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Reenactment Pics

cco23i

A-List Customer
Thanks Granada, we actually had a "bomber fantasy camp" in Stockton California for some people and boy did we have a blast as we were the training and B-24 loading cadre.

Scott

cco23i

A-List Customer
I just shaved mine off as it was too much a pain for reenacting and being active duty!

Scott

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Scott,

Looks like you do what my unit does but we do it "Back east". I do occasionally get to play in a B-25. Larry Kelly's "Panchito". It's sponsored by Disabled American Veterans. I don't know where DAV has it going this year. If it comes to a show near you try to get in touch with Larry. He likes Reenactors, We have done multiple photo shoots with his plane.

www.capitalwingaps.org is the website of my unit. Not a whole lot to look at.

Those are all older pics before I got involved so I'm not in any of them. We have a few other "wings" we work with at some shows. The Pittsburgh/Ohio wing guys do a mess tent/kitchen called "Spamalot" and provide chow for the weekend at 5 bucks a meal, gourmet stuff too! They also have the maintenance equipment and display similar to yours. Some of those guys are real life A&P Mechanics and have been known to do repairs to a/c at shows. The New England wing does strictly CBI, usually 1st Air Commandos but sometimes we partner with them to do the 490th Bomb Squadron. There is also a Georgia/South Carolina Wing and then in the same geographical area as us is a sister wing that flips between Polish Air Force and the 15th Air Force stationed in Italy, we will be with them next weekend at the Geneseo airshow.

Matt

cco23i

A-List Customer
Matt,
Get some photos from the show. Yup, I decided to start doing strictly ground crew after dealing with pilots for 20 some odd years and then going to airshows and seeing NO ground crews. I too am an aircraft mechanic and just love doing this! Cheers!

Scott

Pip

A-List Customer
Look forward to seeing them! Some nice photos from across the thread too.

Here's one from last weekend of my other half and myself.

SSL26788.jpg

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Pip said:
Look forward to seeing them! Some nice photos from across the thread too.

Here's one from last weekend of my other half and myself.

SSL26788.jpg

Are those RAF wings above your left pocket such as "Eagle Squadron"? Also maybe it's the angle of the pic but it looks to me like your sporting the Medical insignia on your collars?

Very sharp tunic though. Original I take it?

Matt

cco23i

A-List Customer
We did research and in the 44 dated officers manual according to it, the overseas bars (hershey bars) weren't authorized "for the current conflict". So from what we have found is they really don't need to be worn unless you are doing a post war impression. That way too, it's less crap to sew on!

Scott

Davep

One of the Regulars
cco23i said:
We did research and in the 44 dated officers manual according to it, the overseas bars (hershey bars) weren't authorized "for the current conflict". So from what we have found is they really don't need to be worn unless you are doing a post war impression. That way too, it's less crap to sew on!

Scott

Do you have a reference? That is good to know, I too don't want to sew a bunch of crap on my Class A's either. Simple and clean looks best

cco23i

A-List Customer
Here ya' go boss, As per a 1943 dated officer's guide, page 165, "Wound and war service chevrons will not be authorized to be worn by Army personnel for service during the current war, but those officers, army nurses, warrant officers and enlisted men entitled to wear such chevrons for service in the first world war may continue to do so". I hope that makes it clearer to all and like you guys, I hate sewing extra crap on my uniforms.

Scott

billgaston

New in Town
It is also stated in my 1944 Officers Manual that "Wound and war service chevrons will not be authorized to be worn by Army personnel for service during the current war, but those officers, army nurses, warrant officers and enlisted men entitled to wear such chevrons for service in the first world war may continue to do so". Although I do not recall the specific page it is on.

Pip

A-List Customer
MPicciotto said:
Are those RAF wings above your left pocket such as "Eagle Squadron"? Also maybe it's the angle of the pic but it looks to me like your sporting the Medical insignia on your collars?

Very sharp tunic though. Original I take it?

Matt

Hi there, sorry for the long delay in replying.

They are indeed the RAF 'mini-wing' as worn by many ex-Eagles, I'm also wearing the RAF 1942 medallion on the right pocket although it can't be seen in the photo (you can probably guess that it was 4th FG which I was portraying this time around haha)

In regards to the AOS, I'm wearing the AAF winged prop rather than the Medical Caduceus (those are on my flight surgeon's ike ;) )

It's interesting to read the information on the service stripes too. The ones on the sleeve are original to the uniform so I'll have to have a good think about leaving them or removing them. I may just find another tunic without them and transfer the insignia across (well the mini-wing and the RAF medallion). Thanks for the info!

billgaston

New in Town
Don't take them off your original!!

Very few people are going to know the regulations regarding Service Stripes. Its not worth screwing up an original to take them off.

If anyone calls you on it, and I doubt they will, just tell them its an original and you were not going to mess it up.

Thats my 2 1/2 cents worth on it.

Pip

A-List Customer
billgaston said:
Don't take them off your original!!

Very few people are going to know the regulations regarding Service Stripes. Its not worth screwing up an original to take them off.

If anyone calls you on it, and I doubt they will, just tell them its an original and you were not going to mess it up.

Thats my 2 1/2 cents worth on it.

Haha more or less my thoughts as well, it really does pain me to hear about originals that are "stripped", especially when named etc!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff