Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Reenactment Pics

Davep

One of the Regulars
What I meant by a renaissance faire, was a period army base, in which the public walks through, and the reenactors move about, like they are on duty or have an function. People could go to different areas and observe the operations. You could have a mock attack in some fashion. There is no "trade show booth" mentality, all the unit/organizaton blend together.

It almost reminds me of a kid going to the old western towns, walking down the street when some get thrown out of the bar, and a gunfight starts, The sheriff comes an the gunflight escalates. A piece out of the old wild west.

Let them see .....

cco23i

A-List Customer
Sorry, all the ren fairs I went to all I seemed to see was want to be pirates and such, so I misunderstood. Yes actually, we converse with the public inbetween tasks and a lot of times have people lend a hand. It's pretty neat. As one living historian put it, "body on vacation, mind on vacation", people love doing "new" things so let them do them!:eusa_clap

Scott

p51

One Too Many
Got to pick a few nits on the following photos. No hard feelings intended.

PICT0439.jpg
Nice postwar OT-810 track. I know the modern back ends bug some folks, but I'd rather see one of these than no German tracks at all, and it’s extremely close on the outside to a 251 track. Neat paint job, too!

IMG_0069.jpg
Crying shame this has inaccurate hood markings and tire pressure markings over the wheel well (with was a postwar thing), but many Jeeps out there are marked like someone's Humvee.

CHGArmoryJeep.jpg
I'm guessing this is the same Jeep as the one above? Those tow bars always make me groan. :( They made a tandem front assembly in WW2, and reproductions of them are available. If you have to tow your Jeep to events, I have no idea why people still mount these “Bubba special” tow bars to their front bumpers?

I tagged along with a group I’m not a member of for a public event in Oregon last month to get a magazine article written. They were a decent group of GI’s, with the normal impressions you see (almost no M-1 with correct ‘locking bar’ rear sights, some modern glasses, mustaches, and a couple of XXXL guys) but all in all, pretty decent. These are among the shots I didn’t submit:

FtStevens09088.jpg

FtStevens09113.jpg

FtStevens09121.jpg

FtStevens09107.jpg

FtStevens09018.jpg

I’d have submitted this one had the guy with the modern shades in the middle not ruined the shot for me:

FtStevens09060.jpg

Davep

One of the Regulars
P51, no hard feelings, I understand the nature of your, critic, i.e. to stimulate discussion and point things out. I can answer for a few things.

1. German Halftrack. As you know there are really NO German Halftracks, outside of museums. All reenactors use post war Czech OT-810. Some groups go to great lengths to convert them as much as possible to the WW2 versions. Here is a great site of the conversion http://www.sdkfz251.com/

The owners of this Halftrack are also the builders of the Panzer III repro, Who are out of Colorado

2. The Jeep, is our unit's Jeep that we used for our Army Unit impression. Many of our members are of both the 101st airborne unit and the 442nd unit. When we went to the RPS' D-Day drop event, we brought the Army Jeep.

3. The picture of jeep going through the war. Is a lifted picture from the Huntington Beach Parade, that was photoshoped into a period picture. We remove the tow bar at events.

CHGArmoryJeep.jpg

IMG_0051.JPG

On M1 Garands, lots of guys are using postwar Garands. The two needed modifications are [1] Locking Bar Sight ($50.00 from Cheaper than Dirt, or Sportmans) and [2] WW2 Style Trigger Guard (winter trigger).

What is bad is when you see 9 guys with M1 Garand, and on guy with a Springfield. Which would be fine if the Springfield was set-up as grenade launcher.

cco23i

A-List Customer
My two big gripes are, spending bundles on the proper uniform and kit and STILL wearing nonperiod glasses. And the other is portraying an aircrew member and wearing glasses and not contacts. Just little things that get to me.;)

Scott

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Not a reenactor, or even an actor, but here are some pics I shot on Dog Green at 0600 on 6/6/09.

DSC_1186BG-1.jpg

DSC_1168.jpg

DSC_1210_desaturated.jpg

DSC_1216.jpg

DSC_1220BG-1.jpg

Dead Man's Corner
P1010265a.jpg

Sainte-Marie-du-Mont
DSC_1268a.jpg

DSC_1090a.jpg

Some Red Devils on the way to Arnhem.
DSC_1401a.jpg

Liberation celebration, Carentan.
DSC_1367_Desaturated.jpg

cco23i said:
My two big gripes are, spending bundles on the proper uniform and kit and STILL wearing nonperiod glasses. And the other is portraying an aircrew member and wearing glasses and not contacts. Just little things that get to me.;)
Solution to the latter: prescription Aviators. Tint can hide prescription lenses nicely...

As for the downed four-eyes "German":
"Sorgen Sie sich nicht, mein Herr! Ich bin aus Internet!" lol

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Wow all those Paratroopers ! I remember being 1 of the 5 that would show up at a battle. Then being a 82nd guy ! Now it seems everybody and their brother is a 101st 506 guy. Things sure have changed .............

cco23i

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
Solution to the latter: prescription Aviators. Tint can hide prescription lenses nicely...

As for the downed four-eyes "German":
"Sorgen Sie sich nicht, mein Herr! Ich bin aus Internet!" lol

That would be nice if they did it.

Scott

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Since you guys liked those, here are a few out-takes from Normandy. Not reenactment shots exactly but evocative of the experience.

DSC_1308FL.jpg

DSC_0954FLa.jpg

DSC_0905FLa.jpg

DSC_1391FLa.jpg

Then and now: the Mrs. with a postcard of Sainte-Marie-du-Mont in 1944, and the same square behind her today.
DSC_1085FLa.jpg

The Crisbecq battery
DSC_1103FLa.jpg

The 101st monument at Brecourt Manor.
DSC_1099.jpg

Into the hedgerows near Angoville-Au-Plain.
DSC_1245FLa.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner