Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Squadron Patches (USAAF, USMC, RAF, etc.)

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Great work james !

hey james, thanks for sharing your photos of the patches, I liked them,I do them myself and I really love tracking down the elusive "Unofficial" types that were made and worn by crews but were not sent for "approval" by the higher ups, they are some of the coolest designs,I ahve a big archive of both Official and Unofficial types I use to make mine,anyone want to see my work I can send photos if you e mail me, WeBeEmblems@aol.com
sorry I don't have a way to load here on site to show,I'm new to computers and guess I'm not a real whiz when it comes the posting tecniques.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Great work james !

hey james, thanks for sharing your photos of the patches, I liked them,I do them myself and I really love tracking down the elusive "Unofficial" types that were made and worn by crews but were not sent for "approval" by the higher ups, they are some of the coolest designs,I have a big archive of both Official and Unofficial types I use to make mine,anyone want to see my work I can send photos if you e mail me, WeBeEmblems@aol.com
sorry I don't have a way to load here on site to show,I'm new to computers and guess I'm not a real whiz when it comes the posting tecniques.

DoolittleRaider

Familiar Face
Doolittle Raiders Patch

here is my favorite, i had it sewn to my USWings Goatskin A-2 during the winter last year.

the 95th Bomb Squadron-Doolittle Raiders

95thBS.JPG

Mine's well postwar, but still Golden Era--and one I'm closely tied to...
318.gif

318th FIS "Green Dragons", McChord AFB, WA. Record-breaking pilots of the most advanced single-engine interceptor ever built... in fact, we still have the record-holding bird parked here at McChord.

Can you tell I'm just a little proud of this part of my heritage? (Note, the imaged patch is not one of mine--this is the "high-viz" version and mine's the "subdued".)

JollyGreenSlugg

New in Town
G'day folks,

This isn't a patch per se, but is one I painted directly onto a beater A-2 copy I have.

J06.jpg

I also had a go at the shoulder patches and some nose-art for the back.

J08.jpg

J07.jpg

J04.jpg

They're not fantastic, but they'll do. The jacket is a 42, and a size too big, so it'll go. At least it was a bit of practice for when I get a decent A-2 in size 40.

Cheers,
Matt

RRButka

New in Town
New member paint

Hi, I have just recently joined and really admire all of the great work I have seen on the jackets. You guys have inspired me to paint one of my own. This is a black mall A-2 replica that I thought that I could practice on. I thought that a night fighter theme would go with the color of the jacket. Here are the photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44780084@N02/6278928882/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/44780084@N02/6278407535/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/44780084@N02/6278928750/. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

Last edited:

SIGGY

A-List Customer
A customer just posted a patch I made for him over on the VLJ site, under the jacket art/patches section ,"Green Dragons" .......................
Siggy

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I really like painted patches on a circular piece of leather, also multi piece painted. Some years back I made a few by copying the old national geographic wartime issue, this was before all this A2 thing went global. Now of course a lot view painted patches with suspicion unless they are already sewn to a jacket so the stitching can be examined.
In my time as a flight jacket fan(since around 1980) I have come across Felt, Chenille, tooled leather, multi piece, my favourite has always been the painted on leather design. And my favourite patch? 709th Bomb Squadron B17 circling an aerial bomb and the 19th Bomb Squadron bowling ball and pins.
Johnny

One of the coolest things about WW2 squadron Patches is the variety. CBI / China, Burma, India, Theater of Operations produced some of the most beautiful. It allows me to create with subtle differences using a wide range of materials. Here's two versions of the 23rd Fighter Group using period metallic soutache. Can't say this is a perfect copy of anything, but can say it's perfectly legitimate for the theater and a possibility to be done this way.

BTW RRButka, You got skills, keep it up. Love to see use of color and the brush, top notch stuff!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24