Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yard/Estate Sale & Thrift Clothing

HardBoiledMarlowe

One of the Regulars
I took a hiatus from yard sale and thrift shopping about six years ago due to lack of time, money and space. I started going regularly again this year and have discovered that the once seemingly endless well of menswear has all but dried up here. Hell, I rarely even see wacky 70s clothing anymore. The only vintage dealer in town stocks very little menswear (no suits, sport coats, or trousers at all) because it doesn't sell here, so I know she's not snatching it up. Has the good stuff really become this rare within the last few years? I'm wondering if it's the same case in other parts of the United States, as well.

BigFitz

Practically Family
Well, I'm new to the whole searching for vintage clothing thing, but around here finding anything before 1960 is few and far between. As for anything before 1950, forget it unless you're in the right place at the right time.

DonnaP

Familiar Face
Thrift shops around here almost never have clothing from earlier than the 80s. Although it was sobering to realize that for teens today, finding 80s clothing is the same as me getting excited about finding 50s clothing when I was a teen...

HardBoiledMarlowe

One of the Regulars
Unsurprisingly, Idaho seems to be under the radar of those websites. I usually just keep an eye on the local papers. There was a large stash of 1940s clothing at an estate sale I attended this weekend. Unfortunately, I was about five minutes too late and watched in horror as someone else purchased all of it for a song. C'est la vie. At least I know who is getting all the stuff around here; I should feel lucky that the level of interest in vintage clothing in this area is relatively low.

absinthewilde

New in Town
I can't even get any antiques or vintage items at the flea markets in my area. They seem to just resell stuff from the dollar store or goods that have "fallen off the truck". And the thrift stores, even stuff from the 80's is rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran