Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yee Haw Hat... Chinese for Resistol Saddler... okay, not really

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Saddlerdefault.jpg

So this was waiting for me when I got home tonight .... HUGE BOX!!! .... I got it out and it was in dire need of a dusting...brushing...dunking in cold water. It cried out please keep me a western, so I had to oblige... sort of.

I mean I'm a Metropolitan type of fella and can not be a Western hat wearer... right? I didn't know if I could pull it off.

Anyway this is what I did:

First off I removed the thin ribbon because the installation was ehh, factory stitching that were in the middle of the ribbon and you can see it! Plus I already have a Towncraft that looks sorta like this one with the same style treatment that was better installed with a wind trolley.

The lid was cardboard stiff and had a small stain on the front edge of the brim ... OH THE HORROR!! my toothpaste trick took care of that issue, but before I did that I gave it a thorough brushing and a cold shower after getting the stain out. Mostly to rinse the toothpaste residue off & so that I can work out the current bash.

I did try it on before molesting the hat, the crown was way too high for my liking .... so while it was wet it spoke to me and said,"please keep me a western...please keep me a western." It automatically went into a eclipse bash.... I kid you not
orcbane.gif
... we had a full bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon ... err the good $4.00 stuff from Trader Joes .. I drank most of it.

IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg
IMG_0462.jpg

I used the leather dog collar ribbon from the Dobbs I got the other day .. I didn't bother with stitching it on because it's solid and won't go anywhere.
IMG_0463.jpg
IMG_0464.jpg
IMG_0457.jpg

The lining and sweatband is pristine.
IMG_0456.jpg

UP or
IMG_0466.jpg

DOWN?
----------------
Now playing: Roxy Music - Avalon
via FoxyTunes

Al_Ojeda

Familiar Face
I like more the original hat shape, and for you and the caracteristic of your face you need to use a taller crown without taper. IMHO. The original hat was perfect.[huh]

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I don't mean to sound harsh but I also think the way it was would have worked for you. That was a classic thin ribbon, tall straight crown. Did you possibly take any pictures of it on you before you changed the crease?

MattJH

One Too Many
Well, there's no question that you made it your own! Perhaps in the future you could go more for a hat that matches what you're looking for rather than drastically modifying a classic hat with a classic look, though. Most would strongly prefer the original hat.

And I vote for brim down.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
really?

okie dokie then [huh]

I have a Towncraft OR clone that is very similar to the original shape/style of this one. That was the main reason I went ahead with the re-bash ... I kinda like it this way.

IMG_0123.jpg
IMG_0469.jpg
IMG_0468.jpg

ahh ... if the consensus agrees then I'll rework the bash back to the original teardrop C-crown .. but I'll leave the ribbon as is.

----------------
Now playing: Donnas, the - All Messed Up
via FoxyTunes

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I like it either way. I'm not a big fan of leather ribbons, but it looks good with the way you had it. Go for what you like.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I've reblocked Open Roads into Oreannas and Montana Peaks so I can't fault anyone for changing the style of their hat. That being said, I prefer the classic OR look and think you could have changed the crease, as originally received, by putting a four-point diamond in the crown. This would relieve the amount of perceived taper.
However, your new crease looks good on you and you should wear it the way you like it.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
back to original

IMG_0472.jpg
IMG_0473.jpg
IMG_0475.jpg

Steamed opened the crown & there were smudges from the original bash so I scrubbed them out then reshaped the lid back to the original bash.
IMG_0476.jpg
IMG_0479.jpg
IMG_0484.jpg

Still a little wet so I got out the original ribbon and fitted it back on, used a couple of hemostats to hold the ends to the bow then restitched. The ribbon is thin so I'm not attaching it permanently, it ain't going anywhere
IMG_0480.jpg
IMG_0481.jpg
IMG_0483.jpg

See where they attached it originally? It was right in the middle with mono-filament so you can see it clearly. the bow was in this condition when it arrived, I didn't fray the ends .. I had to trim & clean for the neat look above^^^ I'm thinking that this lid was a factory second, but I could be wrong in my assumption.
IMG_0485.jpg

I really respect the opinion from the gurus on this forum & it isn't hard for me to reshape a hat so I did, also followed Carters' suggestion & went with a four point diamond crown.

Better?

I'm not digging the thin ribbon because of the dents made by the original stitching ... I'm going to try ironing them out.
----------------
Now playing: David Byrne - And She Was
via FoxyTunes

Wil Tam

Practically Family
iPhone

carter said:
Wil, That looks good. I think the taper I see may be a result of the camera. Are you using the zoom feature?

nah, no zoom just the camera on my iPhone, it's completely dry now so I'll take a couple of more pics to post.

I used your suggestion and put a 4 point diamond bash to the crown, and the taper is practically gone.

hold-up a few minutes while I take some pics to post

----------------
Now playing: Garbage - Untouchable
via FoxyTunes

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Wil, I think you might be getting some unflattering distortion from taking a close picture of yourself, with your camera phone. Try having someone take a shot of you, far enough back to show from your head to your waist. My guess is that will give a better perspective, and make all your hats look better. :)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, I think that is your best look. The stingys seem to exaggerate the taper effect but this looks better. I am thinking that with all the steaming that is where the taper look comes from on some of the hats.
Wil since you really seem to like playing with the hats (sorry my nontechnical term), why not consider something like this?

http://www.hatshapers.com/Product Pages/Classic_Dome.htm

Then you can pull it over it and get a good shape on the crown.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Wil, I think you might be getting some unflattering distortion from taking a close picture of yourself, with your camera phone. Try having someone take a shot of you, far enough back to show from your head to your waist. My guess is that will give a better perspective, and make all your hats look better. :)

I can do that :D I just feel odd when I ask. [huh]

----------------
Now playing: Commitments, the - Grits Ain't Groceries
via FoxyTunes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24