Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yee Haw Hat... Chinese for Resistol Saddler... okay, not really

Wil Tam

Practically Family
very cool!

indycop said:
Honestly, I think that is your best look. The stingys seem to exaggerate the taper effect but this looks better. I am thinking that with all the steaming that is where the taper look comes from on some of the hats.
Wil since you really seem to like playing with the hats (sorry my nontechnical term), why not consider something like this?

http://www.hatshapers.com/Product Pages/Classic_Dome.htm

Then you can pull it over it and get a good shape on the crown.

I like those, they can come in handy, I need to check them out, since this hobby of mine is expanding everyday. Thanks for the tip!

----------------
Now playing: Radiohead - Airbag (live)
via FoxyTunes

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
YES. Original shape.
Your face works well with wider brims and taller crowns. My personal opinion is that I think you might do best to sell off all your stingy brims post haste and go with wider, taller stuff exclusively.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Wil, Those last four pictures look very good. I agree with JT, have someone take pictures for you from a greater distance. The cellphone camera causes some distortion of the images up close. I agree that the wider brims and taller crowns look best on you.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
The crease you originally changed it to looked odd from the top, but I thought it worked when you put it on your head ... a unique take on it.

I don't think the leather band looked bad either, especially if you already have a hat with the same look as the thin ribbon. Maybe the diamond crease coupled with the leather would give it the difference you're looking for, but without the taper everyone here cringes at ...

[huh]

Mug

New in Town
Hello, Wil. I've been following your renovations. I very rarely post but I've been a daily lurker for about 4-5 years now and have bought and sold at least 100 hats in that time and renovated quite a few of my own.

I think you're really getting good at it, except for one thing. I think you may be causing some taper with the full soaks that you've been doing. You shouldn't completely dunk or soak a hat unless you have a hat block to dry it on. This prevents and corrects taper. Without it, even great vintage hats will deform. I know from experience.
Getting wet in the rain is usually fine, but a serious soaking is something very different. No hats that I've worked on can be totally soaked and remain taper free without a block. Steam can be dangerous also. I like using cold distilled water in a spray bottle for reshaping.

Just my humble thoughts. Keep up the good work.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Gotta vote with the gang...

The only felts I own are westerns or Open Roads, which fit both my personal style and the general atmosphere in Cheyenne, Wyoming. So it's understood that I bring my prejudice to the discussion. Given that, I like your look with the hat in the original configuration. Got nothing to do with re-bashing. You should do what you like, it's your hat. But the taller crown seems more flattering.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Hah Hah

;) Cutie Pie Caity would like it the way I rebashed it :eusa_doh:

Sorry hon .. I put it back to default already ... thanks for the input everyone

And I'll break out my hi-end gear for later pics ... I have sticks & remote so it should work out better.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Al_Ojeda said:
I like more the original hat shape, and for you and the caracteristic of your face you need to use a taller crown without taper. IMHO. The original hat was perfect.[huh]
I couldn't agree more here Wil. I told you that a few hats ago, I'd like to see you wear a taller, (untapered) crown.

It would've been nice to see what the original hat looked like on you.

I'll bet Russ was cringing. :D

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I fixed it

bolthead said:
I couldn't agree more here Wil. I told you that a few hats ago, I'd like to see you wear a taller, (untapered) crown.

It would've been nice to see what the original hat looked like on you.

I'll bet Russ was cringing. :D

on the previous page, the four panel of pics is the closest to the default bash with original ribbon

----------------
Now playing: Sam Cooke - Win Your Love For Me
via FoxyTunes

immortaldiamond

Familiar Face
Wil Tam said:
IMG_0493.jpg
IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg
IMG_0492.jpg

I need to be careful with my posting, since the crease police is on the prowl... this was my second strike in two weeks .. 1 more and I may end up in the pokey!! ;)
----------------
Now playing: Neutral Milk Hotel - Naomi
via FoxyTunes
I think this looks great on you, Wil!

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
New rule for Wil!

First let me point out that I am so new here I have no right to try to impose a rule on Wil Tam...but...

I love seeing the final result of his "tinkering" on hats, but to see the progression would be much more fun and informative. So, therefore I propose that Wil holds himself to the rule that he includes a "before" picture of his hats so we all get to see Frankenstein (ugly monster- hat) become Frank (Sinatra-cool cat-hat!).

Really Wil Tam it would allow us to see the true artistry of your work! Keep it up! (But show us what it looks like before you do your magic!) :D

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Wil Tam said:
...not so tight with the pinch and raised the height about an inch.;)

Seems to be less taper :eusa_clap.

I'm impressed by your ingenuity and I dig the brim up shots. I often wear a brim snapped up if there is no sun. It sure seems to cut down on the Indiana Jones comments even if they may be thinking "what a dork" under their breath.

Come join us for a toast, Wil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy