Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yellow Suit vest a la Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain

mikeroberts

New in Town
I'm desperately trying to locate a yellow suit vest like the one Gene Kelly wears in this clip from Singin' in the Rain:
[video=youtube;7YWBOfsXsDA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YWBOfsXsDA[/video]

My wife and I are recreating this routine for a show in a couple of weeks, and the Vest is the last piece of my costume that I have yet to locate. Anyone out there with better interneting skills have any idea where I might look? I'd prefer not to have to with a shiny tuxedo vest like this:
31qJkxLdr3L.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Actually, that's not a tuxedo vest; it's a suit vest. You'll notice from the SitR vid that the back of Gene's vest is made of the same material (or a material of similar color) as his trousers. To replicate that look you will have to go the custom route as you will not find it OTR. Canary yellow odd vests (not belonging to a suit) are not something easily found (or worn :p) so I would suggest that you either snap up that cheapie or hustle over to a tailor and have one made.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
As far as 99% of the population of today is concerned, the item pictured above is a tuxedo vest. We here can shout until we're blue in the face as to the construction of a proper tuxedo vest, but the thing above was designed, marketed, and is sold for use as a vest to be worn with a tuxedo, along with satiny vests in every other color of the rainbow, usually in order to color co-ordinate the groom/groomsmen with the bridesmaids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran