Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet Another "Dern Kids and Their Droopy Pants" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_e

Practically Family
Uuuugh!

untitled.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fer cryin' out loud... - I liked this line:

Joanna Suddreth, 38, of White Plains, said after struggling to keep her 18- and 12-year-old sons' pants up, she's glad to find a device that will do the work for her.

Here's a thought...since you're buying the clothes for the kids, what's the struggle to keep the pants up? Just buy clothes that fit...which is what the quote right above that one suggested.

Idiots...

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i recently got blasted for decrying the sagging pants. a young woman told me that it was about class and race and that my attitude was racist and another example of white paternalism.

i told her that i realize it started out as an urban/ethnic fad, but that it has moved into the mainstream and is abhorrent.

most disturbing to me are the men my age (40), or older, wearing pants that show off their boxers.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Another thread with just a link and NO commentary by the OP. Come on guys, why is it we have to rely upon subsequent posters to describe what the story is all about and what YOUR take is on it. Especially with thread titles like this. Copyright fair use permits you to copy the lead paragraph and then supply a link to the rest.

Feraud

Bartender
i recently got blasted for decrying the sagging pants. a young woman told me that it was about class and race and that my attitude was racist and another example of white paternalism.

i told her that i realize it started out as an urban/ethnic fad, but that it has moved into the mainstream and is abhorrent.

most disturbing to me are the men my age (40), or older, wearing pants that show off their boxers.
I hope you also told her that no adult of any race should wear their pants that low. It is simply a cheesy look and certainly no conscious statement on race or class.

Rather than you being the white devil I think the person you had this conversation has a fair amount of white guilt to deal with. ;)

That gadget is a garter belt for men!! :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
"It'll probably help some people whose belts aren't doing the work," said Armani Garcia, 20, of Brownsville, Brooklyn.

This completely misses the point. The 'fashion' originated in emulation of prisoners who have their belts (and shoelaces, etc) removed from them upon entering jail, so as not to harm themselves or others with them (hanging, garroting, etc).

If their belts arent doing the work, its because theyve chosen to either not wear one (most likely) or just dont know how to use one (duh). Buying the right size pants, as Garcia says immediately following the above quotation, is the obvious answer, but there aint much common about common sense anymore.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Rather than you being the white devil I think the person you had this conversation has a fair amount of white guilt to deal with. ;)

it was a young, angry, politically active Latina. friend of a friend. she's in her early 20's and right in the middle of her "social outrage" phase. i remember that phase/age and try to be understanding. these days i prefer a well informed vote to handcuffing myself to anything.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i've also been told, by gansters/convicts that i supervise, that the style originated from oversized "hand me downs" where poor families could not afford better.

Femme Fatale

New in Town
What.In.The.World.

I wish there were a smiley face for absolute confusion because it would be inserted (here) and to think this actually made it to CNN and the NYdaily news. Maybe instead of making this um.. garter belt for men they should hire General Larry Platt to do a PSA and sing his pants on the ground song.

If you don't know what in the world i'm talking about watch this: [video=youtube;iiQkGouzck4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiQkGouzck4[/video]

Femme Fatale

New in Town
i've also been told, by gansters/convicts that i supervise, that the style originated from oversized "hand me downs" where poor families could not afford better.

I have always heard (and I am going to try and say this as safely as humanly possible) that inmates in prison that were willing participants in certain acts wore their pants that way as sort of a non verbal "signal" that it was alright. After they got out of lock up they continued to wear their pants that way and it just became a weird fad. I'm not sure how true that is but it seems to fit. I just remember my dad slapping my cousins upside the head and yelling " pull your pants up son! Don't you know what that means!" when they tried to be cool and wear their pants that way.

This is how I heard that the style came to be. I just always thought it was silly to wear clothes that didn't fit on purpose.

I have always heard (and I am going to try and say this as safely as humanly possible) that inmates in prison that were willing participants in certain acts wore their pants that way as sort of a non verbal "signal" that it was alright. After they got out of lock up they continued to wear their pants that way and it just became a weird fad. I'm not sure how true that is but it seems to fit. I just remember my dad slapping my cousins upside the head and yelling " pull your pants up son! Don't you know what that means!" when they tried to be cool and wear their pants that way.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Kudos to the inventor for finding a niche and making some money. Fortunately, both for the inventor and the rest of the world, there's a difference between "what I wouldn't wear" and "what nobody should ever wear". I can think of hundreds of things in the former, and almost nothing for the latter. Hopefully he gets rich. I won't be buying one, but there seems to be a market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo