Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet Another "Dern Kids and Their Droopy Pants" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I think this falls under 'things that should never be worn' I completely agree with you in the fact he really found a niche, and I do wish him the best in this.

Kudos to the inventor for finding a niche and making some money. Fortunately, both for the inventor and the rest of the world, there's a difference between "what I wouldn't wear" and "what nobody should ever wear". I can think of hundreds of things in the former, and almost nothing for the latter. Hopefully he gets rich. I won't be buying one, but there seems to be a market.

Cobden

Practically Family
I find the most peculiar thing about this is that ill fitting trousers are still fashionable after what is coming up to 20-25 years. I've not known any ridiculous fashion (basically, any fashion that is more statement then style) last for as long as this particular fad.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Amazing how many threads there are to the tune of "oh those damn (insert demographic) and their (something which isn't the esoteric things we like)".

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I find the most peculiar thing about this is that ill fitting trousers are still fashionable after what is coming up to 20-25 years. I've not known any ridiculous fashion (basically, any fashion that is more statement then style) last for as long as this particular fad.

It surprises me too - in Clueless, which was mid-90s there is a comment about the pants:
I don't want to be a traitor to my generation and all but I don't get how guys dress today. I mean, come on, it looks like they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants and take their greasy hair - ew - and cover it up with a backwards cap and like, we're expected to swoon? I don't think so
and 15 years later it is still baffling. But some women obviously don't mind it.

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
Anyone remember Kriss Kross? They wore droopy jeans, and backwards too.

I was just listening to an old Bill Cosby record, the routine about his group of childhood friends playing "Buck Buck" against one of the groups of "tough kids." Apparently everyone knew they were tough because they had their pants on backwards. I'm assuming that must have been, what, the mid-late 40s?

dr greg

One Too Many
It's probably a myth that it signifies an invitation, but the style did arise as a result of ill-fitting prison clothes being worn as a sign of bravado, but to me, the implication is still there that a youngster in prison would have to be pretty tough to keep his dignity intact so to speak, so why advertise that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran