Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You don't have to buy vintage to look good

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Saw Richard Torregrossa At the Queen Mary Event Friday night and he looked smashing in his suit. It wasn't vintage though it fit him well and suited his demeaner.

The suit was from Banana Republic.

I've said many times before I'm not into vintage as much as I am into style and things that have that romance. The 20's through 60's had that in spades. Romance today seems to be hard to find and so are well dressed people who know what looks good on them.

The suit looked good on him. Looked like it belonged on him. It wasn't vintage though it could have been in Vertigo it looked so right.

I buy modern ties and vintage. I buy modern suits and jackets and vintage. It all workes together if it is your style.

I see women in their suits and skirts and dresses and the difference between it looking like an affectation and an extention of their personality is all in their it factor.

So for those saying to themselve "I'll never find a vintage outfit that looks as good as that guys... don't look for the vintage outfit, just look for yourself and what suits you and when it comes together you'll look like you own the joint.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
I've said many times before I'm not into vintage as much as I am into style and things that have that romance. The 20's through 60's had that in spades. Romance today seems to be hard to find and so are well dressed people who know what looks good on them.

I see women in their suits and skirts and dresses and the difference between it looking like an affectation and an extention of their personality is all in their it factor.

I pretty much wrote exactly that in a part of my college personal statement. That's how much vintage has permeated into my lifestyle- when if affects my college entrance essays! But seriously- I mean, we look at that era through rose-colored glasses sometimes, but why shouldn't we? Those films capture a bygone era. Maybe not with knights and dragons, but the romance of that era are really what we are trying to capture. My collection of vintage is relatively small, too, but what I do have suits me.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If you keep an eye peeled and know what looks good and works, you can find great stuff anywhere. Always walk through the crowded racks at Target, or Macy's, or Penneys. You never know what might turn up.
Two weeks ago at an Old Navy there were peg upon peg of colorful men's socks that looked like the great stuff in the Interwoven ads inside the back cover of 30's Esquire. Stripes, bands, clocks. $12 for 3.

The Shooman

Practically Family
l tried on a Borrelli cashmere sportscoat the other day and it was a work of art. STUNNING!!! The most beautiful sportscoat i've ever seen. The cashmere was gorgeous. lt was out of my price range :mad: ($5,000 Aust).

matei

One Too Many
The suits that are featured in the premier issue of "Classic Style" look great, and they're not vintage.

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Deckard is the fashion consultant on that pictorial, no?

Great job! Everything there looked great, and is proof of what you said above. You don't necessarily need to go vintage to look great. :eusa_clap

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Except for my hats and some deadstock ties, I do not own a single piece of vintage clothing. All of my suits, jackets, shirts, and pants are new as are all of my shoes.

My style is an expression of a romantic idea, be it the English country look, a tweedy professor (how much romance is there in that!), classic New England, Howard Hughes, an Italian Gentleman; whatever aspect of my personality I feel like expressing.

There were many folks with contemporary suits at The QM and they looked seamlessly smashing as the rest.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
You can even combine new with vintage if the pieces work together. Saturday night at the QM I had trousers that were modern, a waistcoat that was likely from the teens or before, and a jacket which I was once told was from the 30s. Oh, and the "modern" grey Adventurebilt. I recieved several compliments for my attire.

I like clothing from the Victorian era through the war. It's hard to find real Victorian stuff to wear, but you can make do if you know how to put things together.;)

GOK

One Too Many
I concur wholeheartedly with all the comments here, especially Mr. Deckard's; it's not what you wear but how you wear it.

Style. The *it* factor. Attitude.

The clothes have to fit the personality; I'm not in any way trying to sound derogatory when I say this but Paris Hilton is a prime example of a person wearing something in the vintage style but just not being able to carry it off. It just looks wrong, yet the same frock on Jamie Deadly looks stunning. Authentically vintage even.

Being so tall, I rarely find genuine vintage clothing other than hats and the odd piece of lingerie, so make my own faux vintage wear. I'd like to think I pull it off pretty well, even if sometimes I do mix 50's style evening gowns with 40's style shoes and the odd 21st century cardi or two!

The photographic evidence on this board would seem to suggest that you chaps have absolutely nothing to worry about vis a vis genuine or repro vintage. You all look stunning! :D

lindylady

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
If you keep an eye peeled and know what looks good and works, you can find great stuff anywhere. Always walk through the crowded racks at Target, or Macy's, or Penneys. You never know what might turn up.
Two weeks ago at an Old Navy there were peg upon peg of colorful men's socks that looked like the great stuff in the Interwoven ads inside the back cover of 30's Esquire. Stripes, bands, clocks. $12 for 3.

I agree with you here. One would think that these mass retailers wouldn't carry what we're looking for, but oftentimes, you can find something vintage-inspired. I've walked away from Penneys with Hollywood-waist pants, cardigans, and circle skirts. I've seen women's blouses with 30s-type puffed sleeves. You just have to get creative to put a vintage look together, something that we Loungers do anyway.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Also, those handy with a needle can rework modern garments to give them a more vintage cut. Like has been said before: keep those peepers peeled, becuase good stuff is out there!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm mostly quite happy with my 1990s 3-button duds. What I miss is the vested option. I'd have vests made, but matching the fabrics is a mug's game. Are there still tailors who promise to match any coat with pants, etc.?

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I don't have any vintage clothing at all....mostly because at 6'2" and 240 pounds, there IS NO vintage clothing that will come anywhere near fitting me...it's hard enough to find modern clothes that do!!! Shoes? size 13. I wear work boots most all the time anyway. I have little opportunity to "dress up". I do have a nice pair of two tone brown Bass shoes...somewhere...

I have no vintage hats, but that's about the only thing vintage that I could find that I could possibly wear (I'm a totally normal 7 1/4).

Patterns..where can one find '30's ans '40's patterns for clothing? I am a fair tailor (fair at best, and I hate sewing, but can do it). I want a two tone jacket...

GOK

One Too Many
I suppose you've tried Ebay, FDM? It might behove you to save the search as a favourite (specifying worldwide) and that way, whenever anything comes up, you'll be emailed. Other than that, the only places I can think of are wardrobe depts of larger theatres/film companies or the places where we ladies get our patterns. PM if you want some links.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The simple fact is that I'm never going to find a beltback suit here, I'm not even sure if they were worn here in Australia. But I love the style, and my tailor is working on making me a jacket in a sharp blue-grey, using pictures from a 1936 menswear catalogue as reference - DB, wide lapels, knife-edge pleat patch pockets. I love vintage, if it's in good condition, but if it's the right style for me and it's new, I'm just as happy.

The last couple of years, argyle-patterned sweater vests have been popular during the winter. K-mart, Target and Myer, as well as smaller clothing retailers, have all been selling them. They look 30's-40's, but are new. Made me a very happy bloke, I've snapped up three vests and a jumper these past two years!

Everyone thinks my two 'Hollywood Jack Vincennes' sportscoats (as my friends have nicknamed them) are all mid-40's, but I bought them at Myer back in 2001!

So well said, Matt. Sensible words from a true gentleman of style himself.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I could find a new suit that's cut like a vintage one so it really fits, I'd be all over it. My Indy suit comes closest, but I need to get better measurements for the next one. If I can lose about 50 pounds so I can get back under 300, I'll start working on my next suit.

max the cat

Familiar Face
vintage or otherwise

20 years ago I wore 30's 40's double breasted suits, vintage ties all which I think were thrifted or even found in specialty stores for under 75- I wore all of this stuff to work- and it was cheap!
the vintage look seems more accepted today. I still have my double breasted 40's tux jacket probably in need of new satin lapel. a real favorite of mine was a blue 3 button suit w/ button fly very little waist suppression-flat front pants- I have seen pix of 30's Brooks Bros pinstripes sack suit style (much like sacks today but higher waist and the jackets seem shorter) If I were seeking a vintage suit I think I would go with single breasted sack from 30's---- 30's movies entertainment world show the latest fashion -the reality is people were wearing 10-15 year old suits passed down in the depression
now a thrifted sack suit or jacket does it for me but really enjoyed the 30's 40's suits--

the longer jacket or sprtcoat on men is a 60s addition maybe for the better.
still the fabric and construction on vintage suits is amazing

max

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
Saw Richard Torregrossa At the Queen Mary Event Friday night and he looked smashing in his suit. It wasn't vintage though it fit him well and suited his demeaner.

The suit was from Banana Republic.

The suit looked good on him. Looked like it belonged on him. It wasn't vintage though it could have been in Vertigo it looked so right.

I buy modern ties and vintage. I buy modern suits and jackets and vintage. It all workes together if it is your style.

So for those saying to themselve "I'll never find a vintage outfit that looks as good as that guys... don't look for the vintage outfit, just look for yourself and what suits you and when it comes together you'll look like you own the joint.

I agree! I think personal style~ and not what 'professionals' dictate, is very important...especially with vintage. Since people are fortunate enough to have many style periods to choose from, it's easier to concoct your own vintage inspired style of dress.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome

Welcome to the Lounge, Harry.

You're following the traditional thought path of many of the gents here. "I know someone who can sew, if I can get a pattern..."

Here's what most of us have found:
Patterns are quite hard to come by. There is an ocean of difference between "sewing" and "tailoring." When the suit styles we love were new, few, few women were able to make such garments at home so there were few (if any) home seamstress type patterns released for men's true suits. So you are left with the patterns used by the tailors themselves - not a very likely find. Remember that said professionals did not use tissue paper patterns. Also, as styles changed, there was no reason to warehouse patterns for 25+ years. Perhaps others here will have a better feel for it, but I've not heard of a patterns from a major suit maker turning up anywhere, at any price.
You might want to check at this European website which is home base for an extremely dedicated group of hardcore vintage folk. A pattern or two are there if you do a bit of digging. But not for a full suit.
If you're still brave enough to have a go, this rather pricey book may inspire you (or cause you to abandon the whole idea).

There are other "compromise" sources to be found right here, depending on your level of demand for perfect authenticity. Indy Magnoli offers some reproduction pieces. There's also the option of going to an Asian-based site that offers some level of customization. Look for reviews scattered around The Fedora Lounge.
Your best bet may be to just keep an eye out for something vintage that fits. Might take a year or more, but it's probably out there somewhere.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy