Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You guys are a bad influence!!!!!! Now with Pics!!!!!

Duck

Practically Family
I was cruising around the hat forum today and saw some threads about revamping cowboy hats into fedoras. They looked real good. I remember the old Stetson in the closet that I bought about 1980. Dark gray with the high front, that I have not worn in years. I get it out and start looking at it.
Why not? So, I pop out the crown, flatten out the brim, cut the brim down to 2 3/4", rebash the top and dang if the old hat doesn't look 1000% better. Even my wife likes it!!!!:eusa_clap
So now there will be no cowboy hats safe from my newbe hands!!!!!!!lol
So thanks a lot, I think!!!!
ConvertedStetson.jpg

ConvertedStetson2.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Duck -- Yes, they do inspire one to revamp hats. I never liked the Stetson Open Road LBJ-type hats, which I thought of as cowboy hats, or at least ranchers' hats. That is, until they were restyled....

I now have two Open Roads that have been rebashed into lovely, attractive fedoras. We have lots of Open Road fans here on FL.

Is your hat an Open Road?

karol

Duck

Practically Family
I know the band has got to go!!!! Trying to decide on what width of ribbon to use. I have to use it wide enough to cover the glue that Stetson used to glue on the braided leather band.:eusa_doh:
This is the first bash I tried on this hat. It just kind of formed itself as I worked on it.
For a 1st effort, I am happy with it. Brings new life to a hat that I have not worn in over 15 years!!!!!

RBH

Bartender
Duck, just wanted to submit to you that if you clean [soak in naphta] your hat before you try to attach your ribbon some or all of the glue may come out of the felt. I would try that first and if it does remove you will not be limited to what size ribbon you can use.
Good luck !

Duck

Practically Family
With New Ribbon

I realized that I had not posted pics of the completed project. So, here are the new pics of my project hat.
This is looks just like the hat I started with:
f995_1.JPG

After:
100_1398.jpg

100_1395.jpg

100_1392.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Superb job! Be forewarned, you will want to do it again. I like your ribbon treatment. I wouldn't throw the braided leather away, though. Montecristi puts leather bands on their $600.00 fur felt fedoras. In a few months, you are liable to find a hat you want to use it on.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Now ya have me thinking...

I've got a Resistol 2x cowboy that looks a little to much "modern cattlemen"...I wonder if that would be a good candidate for the makeover?
Colby Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner