Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had to start taking OTC sleeping pills a few years ago -- I was getting to the point where I spent more time lying awake worrying about not getting enough sleep than I was sleeping, and I was getting violent migraines as a result. A Unisom or equivalent every night will knock me out enough so that I can actually sleep until the cat decides I've had enough. But I always feel that tinge of desperate disappointment when I realize that I'm awake again.

I think I've mentioned this somewhere on The Lounge before, but some time last year I learned of the 4-7-8 breathing technique. On the surface it sounds like some sort of New Age hokum, but it has really worked for me. Some websites claim it will help you fall asleep within 60 seconds. I think that's overly optimistic for true insomniacs like myself, but I've gone from taking well over an hour to fall asleep every night to taking only 10-20 minutes, and I find I wake up feeling at least a little more rested. The great thing is that it requires no special equipment, can be done anywhere at any time, and only takes 60-90 seconds (depending on how fast or slow you count), so it costs nothing but a minute or two of your time to find out whether or not it works for you.

I had to start taking OTC sleeping pills a few years ago -- I was getting to the point where I spent more time lying awake worrying about not getting enough sleep than I was sleeping, and I was getting violent migraines as a result. A Unisom or equivalent every night will knock me out enough so that I can actually sleep until the cat decides I've had enough. But I always feel that tinge of desperate disappointment when I realize that I'm awake again.

I had used diphenhydramine, the sleep aid in NyQuil and many other OTC concoctions, until I heard it was implicated in Alzheimer's. Man, but I hope that turns out to be a false alarm. But the stuff does work as advertised.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
2f56d255dff7d21aaad669a5c924dc52_zpsqlwggdnj.jpg

Always remember the important thing about good sleep:

Between evening-meal and going to bed, there have to be FOUR, at least THREE hours time!

Otherwise, the digestion substracts too much energie from the sleep.

Source: General-medicine

I have had insomnia and migraines since being a teenager and, yes, the insomnia can trigger a migraine - a lovely catch 22.

After trying (almost) everything, I've settle on the Occam's Razor solution for me. I am not saying this will work for anyone else, just sharing in case it happens to.

I finally couldn't take the stress I had about not sleeping and decided, in desperation at first, to just make use of the time. Since I always complained I didn't have enough time to read, when I had the "I can't sleep" feel of insomnia - instead of laying in bed frustrated - I got up and read (many times staying in bed).

No, this didn't solve the insomnia, but sometimes it helped put me to sleep. But it tremendously reduced my stress over it as I now had something to do that I enjoyed versus stressing over the sleep. Yes, I was still tired the next day (or days, as these bouts can go on for long periods of time), but somehow, not as on edge as when I used to get worked up about it all night.

The one other (or two or, even, three, depends on how you count) thing I do is keep as best as I can to a consistent sleep schedule (including weekends - no "sleeping in") so that my body's circadian clock isn't stressed. Also, I only sleep 6 to 6.5 hours a night, so that while I'm a bit tired in the morning, I'm also a bit tired at "bed time." When I used to allow myself to "catch up" by sleeping in, I inevitably had trouble falling asleep the upcoming night. I do allow, if time / opportunity permits, a ten - twenty minute nap during the day, which is incredibly refreshing (but if this happens two or three times a week - if I'm lucky).

All the above has resulted in less bouts of insomnia, bouts of less duration and fewer migraines. It hasn't solved any of the problems, but has made them so much better - that I'm "okay" with them. But it took a long time to study and stumble my way to this "solution" (again, for me, not saying it will or won't help someone else). Also, I hate taking any medicine - over the counter or prescriptions - if I can in anyway avoid it - so I like that this is a medicine-free strategy.

That's it - just wanted to share incase someone else can maybe benefit a bit from what helped me a lot.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I have had insomnia and migraines since being a teenager and, yes, the insomnia can trigger a migraine - a lovely catch 22.

After trying (almost) everything, I've settle on the Occam's Razor solution for me. I am not saying this will work for anyone else, just sharing in case it happens to.

I finally couldn't take the stress I had about not sleeping and decided, in desperation at first, to just make use of the time. Since I always complained I didn't have enough time to read, when I had the "I can't sleep" feel of insomnia - instead of laying in bed frustrated - I got up and read (many times staying in bed).

No, this didn't solve the insomnia, but sometimes it helped put me to sleep. But it tremendously reduced my stress over it as I now had something to do that I enjoyed versus stressing over the sleep. Yes, I was still tired the next day (or days, as these bouts can go on for long periods of time), but somehow, not as on edge as when I used to get worked up about it all night.

The one other (or two or, even, three, depends on how you count) thing I do is keep as best as I can to a consistent sleep schedule (including weekends - no "sleeping in") so that my body's circadian clock isn't stressed. Also, I only sleep 6 to 6.5 hours a night, so that while I'm a bit tired in the morning, I'm also a bit tired at "bed time." When I used to allow myself to "catch up" by sleeping in, I inevitably had trouble falling asleep the upcoming night. I do allow, if time / opportunity permits, a ten - twenty minute nap during the day, which is incredibly refreshing (but if this happens two or three times a week - if I'm lucky).

All the above has resulted in less bouts of insomnia, bouts of less duration and fewer migraines. It hasn't solved any of the problems, but has made them so much better - that I'm "okay" with them. But it took a long time to study and stumble my way to this "solution" (again, for me, not saying it will or won't help someone else). Also, I hate taking any medicine - over the counter or prescriptions - if I can in anyway avoid it - so I like that this is a medicine-free strategy.

That's it - just wanted to share incase someone else can maybe benefit a bit from what helped me a lot.

I'm fortunate that my work now allows me to take naps when my body needs it
during the day.
Similar to my diet. I eat small amounts all day instead of heavy meals .

As soon as I hit the pillow, I fall asleep.
When I wake up, I'm sleepy for a minute, but then I'm wide awake and
cannot tolerate staying in bed.

If I get a headache, it's from straining my eyes from too much reading,
internet or oil painting.

Sometimes in the middle of a post I will Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :(

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

Between evening-meal and going to bed, there have to be FOUR, at least THREE hours time!

I eat all the time, even in the middle of the night when I'm hungry.
What ever is in the icebox, an old pizza, ice cream or a coke with corn flakes.

If I want to have a full-blown nightmare in high definition,
I'll eat bananas.
With chocolate syrup or whipped cream if I want them in color.

No kidding!:(

Edward

Bartender
To kids, the past is a big, vague blur. When I was a little kid in the late 1980s, I asked my dad, who was born in the 1950s, if he had fought in World War I when he was in the army. :D

Heh. Just wait til you're on the other end..... I'm forty-two, and my young nephew, now ten, will often ask me about life in "the olden days, when [I was] young".....

I just wish I could sleep as soundly as I used to. Seriously, it's common for me to awaken after four or five hours of sleep and not be able to fall back into it.

I'm lucky I don't usually have a problem getting back to sleep, but I am incresasingly finding myself jusdt these last few months having to get up to pee around four am. (Weirdly, it doesn't happen if I stay awake long after midnight, enne if I've not been to the toilet any later than normal before retiring.) Of course, the cat thinks its great. She won't settle until she's in the bedroom with me for the night, and the door closed behind us both. If I am up at four for the toilet anyhow, it saves her the trouble of wakening me if she needs out, or wants a fuss, or just..... "y'know, cat stuff. I don't have to explain myself to you, human!"

Definitely true. I get terrible acid reflux if I lie down too soon after I eat. My grandmother always used to say that one hour's sleep before midnight was worth two after, "because your blood changes". I have no idea about the cod-science behind it, but it's certainly true that I have a better quality of sleep if I'm asleep by midnight than if I go to bed much later but sleep for the same length of time.

That moment when you close the door and realize you just
locked yourself outside & all he cares about is his din-din!
15xa44i.jpg

Ha, yes. I still remember the day in about 1976 when I was him and my mother was locked outside.... and I couldn't be persuaded to stand on a chair to let her in the way I always did to open the door to get out to play in the garden..... ha.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner