Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Edward

Bartender
Which makes it all the more difficult when your living depends on your ability to "please everyone." You may not be able to suffer fools gladly, but you still have to suffer them.

It's a funny thing, everyone, particularly difficult customers, remembers "The customer is always right", but rarely the full phrase, which is "The customer is always right in matters of taste."

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Which makes it all the more difficult when your living depends on your ability to "please everyone." You may not be able to suffer fools gladly, but you still have to suffer them.
Customers can be and very often are, unreasonable, belligerent and a right royal pain in the proverbial.
Gordon Bethune, who is best known for revamping Continental Airlines. has this comment on the topic of customer service.
He argues that, you can’t treat your employees like serfs, you have to value them. If they think that you won’t support them when a customer is out of line, even the smallest problem can cause resentment. Amen to that.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I keep making and forgetting mind notes to touch base with Orwell, last seen/read Cambridge days.
Animal Farm, compulsive reading, It tells the story of a group of anthropomorphic farm animals who rebel against their human farmer, hoping to create a society where the animals can be equal, free, and happy. Ultimately, the rebellion is betrayed and, under the dictatorship of a pig named Napoleon, the farm ends up in a state as bad as it was before.

Animal Farm is reputed to be an analogy of pre-war Russia and the rise of Stalin.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Animal Farm, compulsive reading, It tells the story of a group of anthropomorphic farm animals who rebel against their human farmer, hoping to create a society where the animals can be equal, free, and happy. Ultimately, the rebellion is betrayed and, under the dictatorship of a pig named Napoleon, the farm ends up in a state as bad as it was before.

Animal Farm is reputed to be an analogy of pre-war Russia and the rise of Stalin.
Certainly a "roman a clef", but the "clef" isn't exactly hidden under a bushel. Likewise for 1984, which I've just finished re-reading for the first time since I was a teenager. And that was a long, long, time ago.

These days we have creeping or crashing into our vocabulary our time's NEWSPEAK. DOUBLEPLUSUNGOOD. I'd gladly give some examples but for two reasons:
1) I would be treading into the forbidden zone of politics.
2) If you're not comatose, you already know what I mean.

Certainly a "roman a clef", but the "clef" isn't exactly hidden under a bushel. Likewise for 1984, which I've just finished re-reading for the first time since I was a teenager. And that was a long, long, time ago.

These days we have creeping or crashing into our vocabulary our time's NEWSPEAK. DOUBLEPLUSUNGOOD. I'd gladly give some examples but for two reasons:
1) I would be treading into the forbidden zone of politics.
2) If you're not comatose, you already know what I mean.
Indeed, we are being asked (told, really) to accept what we know to be absurdities.

Authoritarianism comes at us from all directions.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I've always thought it was Herb Kelleher of Southwest Airlines who said, "The customer is not always right. There are some customers we don't want!"
Customers can be and very often are, unreasonable, belligerent and a right royal pain in the proverbial.
Gordon Bethune, who is best known for revamping Continental Airlines. has this comment on the topic of customer service.
He argues that, you can’t treat your employees like serfs, you have to value them. If they think that you won’t support them when a customer is out of line, even the smallest problem can cause resentment. Amen to that.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
https://americansongwriter.com/this...eal-opener-for-first-date-of-their-2024-tour/
As The Rolling Stones start their 2024 US tour, you know that you are getting old when you can remember band members, Brian Jones, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. Good grief, Mick Jagger will be 81 in July.

Having said that, Jagger's youngest child, presented to him by his girlfriend, Melanie Hamrick, is his son Deveraux, 7, born in 2016 when Mick was 73.
In October 2023, he opened up about fatherhood during an interview with British newspaper, The Guardian.

His one time girlfriend, Marianne Faithfull, whom he dated for 4 years in the late sixties, went into an old people's nursing home three years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav