• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

You Know You're in Canada When...

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by MisterCairo, Dec 22, 2016.

1. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

I'm assuming he means during a snow storm!

I remember that scene in the Hateful 8 film where, for some reason not explained, the outhouse is about a hundred yards away from the tavern, so they use ropes to tie to each other.

2. There's a college campus on lake Ontario in NY state where in a particularly bad snowstorm it is rumored they used to "rope" the buildings. The rumor is they did this when the campus started and buildings were more spread out and paths were less formalized.

Having been there, and been close enough in winter to see storms that dumped 3+ feet of snow off that lake in less than 24 hours, I believe the rumor.

3. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Trenchfriend likes this.
  4. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

In real bad weather they would run a rope between buildings so you could follow it and not get lost even in a driving snow storm at night. On farms they would run a rope from the house to the barn. The livestock must be fed and watered no matter what the weather. They will be snug and warm in the barn, and the family in the house, it is getting from one to the other that can be a problem.

5. DNO

DNO One Too Many

I'm surprised this one hasn't popped up yet. You know you're in Canada when the annual professional football championship (the Grey Cup) is played in an open stadium, in late November, in sub zero temperatures (celsius) ...and it's snowing.

6. The only way real championship football should be played.

7. "Football is played in any kind of weather: rain, sleet, snow, hail, mud, can't read the numbers on the field, can't read the yard markers, can't read the player's numbers, the struggle will continue." (George Carlin, as if you didn't know).

Fading Fast likes this.