Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know, you're in old Germany, when...

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
…you get toothaches or any other health problem on Christmas Eve or any weekend evening and all you need to do is to show up at the next dentist or respective doc in duty, show your insurance card and get immediately proper help, no matter if employed, jobless…at no additional costs.

Last edited:
…you get toothaches or any other health problem on Christmas Eve or any weekend evening and all you need to do is to show up at the next dentist or respective doc in duty, show your insurance card and get immediately proper help, no matter if employed, jobless…at no additional costs.

The thread is for ironic stuff. ;)

Tiki Tom

It was Christmas Eve and my young daughter came down with a urinary tract infection. “Oh sh$t” I thought, “there goes the holiday!” Nope it was handled very quickly and we had the necessary meds within two hours. I often Tell this story. i was very impressed.

Turnip

…the word is to increase work loads everywhere around and German steel/metal industry unions engage in a discourse about a four days working week at full wage compensation.

Glad to be a union employee in metal industry…:cool:

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

…the traditional May 1. riots in Berlin take place again…
Ah, nothing says “springtime” like the smell of tear-gas in the morning. I miss that. It’s the romantic in me. ;)

https://www.euronews.com/2023/05/01/may-day-across-europe-marchers-demand-a-better-deal-for-workers

…the word is to increase work loads everywhere around and German steel/metal industry unions engage in a discourse about a four days working week at full wage compensation.

Glad to be a union employee in metal industry…:cool:

This is one of those ideas that make many roll their eyes. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the four day workweek becomes something that our grandkids will take for granted.

Anyway, what I liked in Vienna is that the May Day celebrations meant that the outdoor cafe’ tables were gonna be out for at least the next five months. Nothing like evening drinks outdoors in a cobblestoned square.

Turnip

In fact more and more companies around are already currently experimenting with a four day workweek right now. Not because they’re pushed so by any union but just to attract skilled workforce, which is running increasingly short here, not just since the pandemic ended.

Tiki Tom

BBC01767-7F54-41E3-AC44-987B710B3227.jpeg

Oh shit!! Dangerous First World Problems!!
Our german 75+ have to be very very strong, these days!!

Believe it or not, ALDI Nord is burying it's famous longtime coffee storebrand "Markus Kaffee" for their own-made coffee!
The new main storebrand for all their coffee stuff will be "Barissimo".

IMAGINE the talk and discussions in the ALDI stores, when the change will have happened! :eek:

;););)

Tiki Tom

For whatever reason, I've become fascinated with old German scripts, mainly Kurrentschrift (a diplomatic script) and Sütterlin (taught in schools). Below is Sütterlin. Slow process to memorize it. Completely irrational system.

That brings back some old memories. My mother and her parents used to trade letters written in Schrift. As a kid, I’d endlessly pour over the letters, trying to decipher them. Still have a few of those letters (remember the near weightless airmail paper and envelopes?) in the old “family history“ file. Thanks for jolting my memory!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot