Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You May One Day Make Yourself Invisible

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It may not be long before it's possible.

First thought: Wow... what hat to wear with it?

Then... what would I do with it? What would I do if I could make myself invisible? Hop on airplanes for free? Make people think they were seeing ghosts throwing objects around the room? Wear it to meetings so I could hear the dirt on myself?

What would you do?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I would slip into the storage facilities at the Library of Congress Recorded Sound Reference Center and copy off a ton of stuff I need for my radio research.

I would infiltrate the global centers of geopolitical power and influence the very fate of nations.

And then I'd go home and really really really mess with my sister's head. She's got it coming to her.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I would sneak up behind people and become the nagging voice in the back of their minds.

I'd say things like, "That's too much salt, and you shouldn't be eating eggs anyway"; "You're going with those shoes? With that skirt? Oh my"; What are you waiting for, red schmed, there's no-one around"; "Hey, wasn't that guy looking at you funny? And that guy? And that lady across the street? Maybe there's something stuck to your nose or something, since EVERYBODY'S STARING AT YOU"; and, "Yeah, those pants make your butt look big."

Then I will stand behind the bar at my Auld Duke of Gloucester and become the Ghost Who Helps Himself to Pints. Woo hoo!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Wrong question, Scott...

... As Ferris said to Cameron: "The question isn't what ARE we going to do... the question is, what AREN'T we going to do..."

I think this deserves another one of your "ten things" lists:
  1. Find my former boss *Steve* and tie his shoelaces together.
  2. Sit in the cockpit of every WWII airplane at the Smithsonian.
  3. Sneak into movies... instead of paying $9.50!
  4. Wander around Monticello after hours.
  5. Slip up behind Jack Black and smack him (gently) for wasting his talent.
  6. Enter the TomCat estate and jump on his sofa. (Then smack him gently.)
  7. Recreate the NY Public Library *card catalogue* scene from Ghostbusters I.
  8. Follow Senator Jack around NYC for a day humming "Jack the Knife."
  9. Drink people's martinis when they're not looking.
  10. Combine my *cloak* with my *time machine* and REALLY have fun!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A few more then --

1. Run on the field during a Red Sox game and kick Keith Foulke in his overpaid rear end for blowing another save opportunity.

2. Filter about thru the halls of Congress giving wedgies to politicians I dislike

3. Go find that annoying obsessive-compulsive guy who I used to work with and move every item on his desk one-half inch to the left.

4. Sneak up behind George Clooney and start blowing seductively in his ear.

5. Stride confidently into the first-class section of the plane and help myself to pillows and blankets.

6. Replace the monthly programming schedule for TCM with one of my own devising. All Early Talkie Musicals All The Time.

7. Try very hard not to upset my poor cat. She has enough problems with me when I'm visible.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
A blessing or a curse??

George Bailey was "worth more dead than alive." While his body was visibile in this treasure of a film, he was, in a way, invisible. Not quite the right example...

How many times have we wondered what our dogs were thinking or saying? I know you can relate to this, Scott. I know all dogs can have such expressive looks on their faces, but a bulldog...well, a bulldog is such a looker! When I have been posed with the question, "Don'tcha just want to know what he's thinking?" I say, no way. As it is, I feel pretty good about myself, but the dog (the fly on the wall, in this case) sees all...all the stupid things we do. Stupid, silly things that you know your dog (I imagine a cat is even more high-faluten) is sitting there thinking in his Stewie Griffin voice, "Oh, you poor ___________."

When I worked for both the local radio station and later for a civil engineering firm, I had to attend city council meetings, either to cover for the news or to represent the firm. In both cases, I found out way more about city goings-on then I ever, ever cared to. I was basically invisible. For radio, I was completely an observer, and the engineer could never get anywhere with the city, so I was just kind of along for the ride then, too.

Invisibilty MAY also be a bit like being God, yes? I'm sure he sees far more than he really wants to see.

Militarily-speaking...is there such thing as having too much the upper hand?

It's a neat idea, without question. Maybe the beginning of the end, though. Whatever that entails...

Cab

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

The odd things is, I always know what my dogs are thinking. It's usually Water dish. Fill it. Sometimes Where's the walkies? Or lately you should have put that shoe away.

Swimsuit season!!! The womens locker room at the pool! YES!
Wait, NO. Not the people who go to the pool here. No. Just NO.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I love the nagging voice idea! There's two things I'd be tempted to do if invisible, sneak on an airplane and go to some exotic place, or just sneak into a movie theatre and watch free movies all day long

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Swimsuit season!!! The womens locker room at the pool! YES!
Wait, NO. Not the people who go to the pool here. No. Just NO.
lol that's how it is at our local swimming pool..or there's tons of giggling 15yrs old :rolleyes:

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But based on the recent couple of years' worth of movies, at any one time could you really find enough movies you'd really want to see that would keep you sitting in a theatre all day long even if you DID get to see them for free?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think it would be fun for an hour..but...

Imagine, you suddenly became invisible. Permanately. You are as a ghost, walking amonst your former life, with family, friends, and co workers all around you. You cannot touch things, you cannot move things, you cannot communicate with anyone.

I think in about ten minutes you would be very frustrated, lonely, and alone. And maybe shocked at what they really said about youlol

Kind of like being at your own funeral, hovering above, listening.....

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
But based on the recent couple of years' worth of movies, at any one time could you really find enough movies you'd really want to see that would keep you sitting in a theatre all day long even if you DID get to see them for free?
Have to admit you're right Mike! It's been rare to find ONE movie lately that I've been wanting to see in the theaters! But aren't there theaters that play classic movies? [huh] THAT I would love!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'd heckle guys like a construction worker, to see how they like it. lol

"Yeah baby, shake it! Oh yeah!"

I'd also ride public transportation for free, and feel free to yell "were you raised in a barn?!?" when appropriate, since no one can see me to punch me out.

I'd also rob the gross pet-stores around here, where I want to liberate the animals without the negligent owners making any profit.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The military is working on camoflauge that reflects the electronically background and projects it on the opposite side of the clothing so the viewer sees more of the same thing that is behind the wearer. Anyone see the aliens in Predator?;)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Who's to say I'm not?

There have been many times I thought myself invisible.
Like if I'm surrounded by beautiful women. Sometimes they can't even hear me.lol

Sincerely,
The Invisible Wolf

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah.

Andykev said:
Imagine, you suddenly became invisible. Permanately. You are as a ghost, walking amonst your former life, with family, friends, and co workers all around you. You cannot touch things, you cannot move things, you cannot communicate with anyone.

I think in about ten minutes you would be very frustrated, lonely, and alone. And maybe shocked at what they really said about youlol

Kind of like being at your own funeral, hovering above, listening.....

Remember the movie? He went totally insane from having all that power! :eek: And from the sheer isolation of it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters