Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young Indiana Jones

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
Funny, I have them all taped from the original airings, but I haven't ever watched them again.

I'll probably buy the DVDs now... and not watch them again.:p

They were great little mini-movies as far as I can remember. One other thing I remember is that they were always being preempted for sporting events or election news, so it made it really hard to be a loyal viewer.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They've been running in the early morning hours the last week or so. I know, because it seems like I wake up around 3 am wide awake, flip on the TV and see it listed...I set the timer and invariably doze before I see the show.

Edward

Bartender
Good shows. I'm wary of getting into buying DVD box sets of TV shows often (or even movies) I like unless I'm sure I'll watch them regularly enough to justify the expense. If these came cheap enough, though, I'd be very tempted. I haven't seen any of them for....must be fifteen years or more since they first aired here in the UK, but if memory serves they had high production values and were very faithful in miantaining the integrity of the IJ universe as set up in the films. If they did it as well as those, I've often wondered whether a young Indiana Jones film (or films) would work as a cinematic release. I could see them trying on something like that if the Crystal Skull is a big hit. It would seem preferable to me to do that than to try to have another actor playing the adult Jones. I find it very difficult to imagine anyone bar Ford being able to pull it off (even though, I know, he wasn't the original choice). The other possibility, of course, is that they might try a spin off with Indy Jones Junior, but that'd be a whole nother ball game, bearing in mind the very different era that would of necessity be set in.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
on Netlifx.

Netflix will have it soon if you don't want to invest in the purchase:

"Adventures of Young Indiana Jones: Vol. 1" (12 disc set)
This movie will be released on DVD Oct 23, 2007.

---Scott

Doug C

Practically Family
I caught one of these the other day, I think it was titled "the first adventure" or something like that.. well I watch most of it anyway. The thing is, I was really looking forward to the release of this DVD set until I saw this episode BUT I thought it sucked!! Partly I think because Henry Jr (Indy) was way younger than I thought he'd be and it was very slow and basically set in a very formal victorian era. His family's strict formal pompas-ness turned me off to it a little bit. Either way I felt a bit let down after it finished. I still plan on getting the set in hopes that the others will be better. One strange thing that I noticed though was that the info that my sattelite co gave was a year "2000" as production day... when were these produced?

Doug C

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
They were done in the early 90s, a couple of years after Last Crusade. There were two different young Indys - a 10-year-old, and a 17-year-old. I believe that there are more episodes with the older guy.

I also caught a few minutes of an episode on the History Channel on Saturday morning: the younger Indy was having allegedly hilarious adventures in Paris with that young firebrand aspiring artist, Pablo Picasso.

Honestly, I was NEVER impressed with this series at all. Conceived explicitly as being educational (hence the endless parade of famous faces), and done on the cheap - shot in 16mm - it seemed like another of George's extremely lame projects before he realized that making new Star Wars films was the only shot he had at remaining a household name. The series' execution is mostly very flat-footed and obvious.

Aside from folks who were kids when this series first aired who have a nostalgic attachment to it, I can't see it being any kind of huge success on DVD. But with a new Indy flick in production, this is the sort of promotional synergy at which George has always been a master...

Edward

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
But with a new Indy flick in production, this is the sort of promotional synergy at which George has always been a master...

Cue a "special" edition with the guns edited out? :p

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Cue a "special" edition with the guns edited out? :p

According to the Wiki article on the show, our buddy George has already retconned this series once!

For the LaserDisc and VHS releases, all of the framing material featuring George Hall as 94-year-old Indy narrating the stories was removed. My guess is, with the prospect of another theatrical film (the current movie has been in development for a long time), Lucas didn't want to remain commited to things originally established about Indy's later life in the TV series. For example, that Indy ended up living in NYC in the 1990s with his daughter and grandson.

Nothing is ever finished in Lucasland...

Doh!

One Too Many
I didn't catch many of these when they first aired but avoided the ones with the 10 year-old Indy like the plague.

By the way, did they ever do one on the plague?

Edward

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
According to the Wiki article on the show, our buddy George has already retconned this series once!

For the LaserDisc and VHS releases, all of the framing material featuring George Hall as 94-year-old Indy narrating the stories was removed. My guess is, with the prospect of another theatrical film (the current movie has been in development for a long time), Lucas didn't want to remain commited to things originally established about Indy's later life in the TV series. For example, that Indy ended up living in NYC in the 1990s with his daughter and grandson.

Nothing is ever finished in Lucasland...

I'm just waiting for the day when he decides it's time to update the cars in American Graffiti...

I guess I can concede the point re continuity issues, though I do like the narration concept. Maybe they'll do a "special edition" with Harrison Ford edited in as narrator. Wouldn't surprise me if Lucas hasn't tried to give this a go already!

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
:eek: I was a kid of sorts when these first were released on television so I guess in that respect I do have a nostalgic attachment to them. Although it's interesting because I never got to see more than maybe 6 episodes. The local ABC, CBS or whatever they aired on only carried a few then booted them from the lineup. I've seen and read of references to a great many more. At least enough to constitute another season.

Looking at it from an educational standpoint it's great propaganda. Put a child in the middle of wild adventures, mix in an media icon- whether it be human or an event, a pinch of humor and viola! Something that most children will dive right into because they can relate to the age of the character and the adventures they WANT to have. Teaching them about those adventures would theoretically come pretty easy. Then again I saw the ROTLA and TOD when they first came out and have been hooked ever since. Seeing adult Indy having fun, then discovering that he as a kid my age (or somewhere near there) had just as many adventures was just plain thrilling!

...Then again there's the money standpoint. How did they fair in the end? All in all movies and television are all about money. :eusa_doh:

Doh!

One Too Many
Edward said:
I'm just waiting for the day when he decides it's time to update the cars in American Graffiti...

Oh, he already messed with that, my friend: he digitally "reshot" the sunset in the opening scene to make it look "better."

One minor digital effect has been added, at the request of director George Lucas, and can be found on the 1998 Collector's Edition DVD and VHS. In the original theatrical release, when the movie title credit appears on screen in front of Mel's Drive-In, all that is seen behind the diner are buildings and a cloudy/grey sky. On the Collector's Edition DVD and VHS, a sunset with clouds has been digitally added in where the cloudy/grey sky originally was. The original shot used in the film can be seen at the opening of the American Graffiti documentary, which is on the same DVD/VHS.

Edward

Bartender
Doh! said:
Oh, he already messed with that, my friend: he digitally "reshot" the sunset in the opening scene to make it look "better."

One minor digital effect has been added, at the request of director George Lucas, and can be found on the 1998 Collector's Edition DVD and VHS. In the original theatrical release, when the movie title credit appears on screen in front of Mel's Drive-In, all that is seen behind the diner are buildings and a cloudy/grey sky. On the Collector's Edition DVD and VHS, a sunset with clouds has been digitally added in where the cloudy/grey sky originally was. The original shot used in the film can be seen at the opening of the American Graffiti documentary, which is on the same DVD/VHS.

Gah.... :rolleyes: The thing that annoys me most when they do this is that you typically don't have the option to buy the original.... Back when they released Star Wars "for the last time ever in its original form", I decided not to buy those VHSs because I knew that there would be a new version with a cleaned up print. If only I'd known, though.... I know the original versions were put in the last boxed set, but I'm damned if I'm gonig to shell out for that (including all the other crap I don't want) just to get hold of the originals. :(

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike in Seattle said:
They've been running in the early morning hours the last week or so. I know, because it seems like I wake up around 3 am wide awake, flip on the TV and see it listed...I set the timer and invariably doze before I see the show.

I just saw it listed for 6pm West Coast, 9 pm East Coast on the History International channel for tonight. That's 34 minutes and counting...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR