Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young loungers

Miss Molly

New in Town
Bump it up a bit!

Hmmm... it seems no one's written on this thread for a while, but it seemed really interesting, so I figured I'd post!

I'm 18, I really don't know how I first got into the whole vintage scene, but I guess it kinda started with musicals. I love musicals! I started watching loads of the older ones, Guys and Dolls, etc etc. And it just progressed from there. I do tend to live in a bit of a fantasy world sometimes though...

I prefer this type of look, it makes me feel lady like and I just like the whole attitude which goes with it. It's more polite and friendly. People seem to be nicer to you when you wear it too! I get lovely comments.

It's pretty hard being this way where I live though. I'm kinda out in the countryside, and there's never anywhere to go to meet similar people, no places to go dancing, no places to go shopping! Ah well, eBay is my life! :D

I've been a lurker on here for a couple of months now, and finally thought I'd register :D Glad I have.

Miss Molly

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Where to begin...

I just turned 20, but I've had an affinity for all things old since I was a kid. I suppose being brought up by my grandparents had something to do with it :rolleyes: . They were both born in the 40's, so they really didn't introduce me to the Golden Era. I remember listening to Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles, Neal Diamond, and Johnny Cash while all the other kids were jamming out to TLC and the like. My collection of vintage items is relatively small, as I've only been acquiring items during the past three years. I've also always liked history, though retention of it is another story lol . As far as music goes, I will listen to practically anything, but more often than not, it's jazz or big band.

I suppose the reason I was drawn to the past is much like everyone else's. I was becoming disgusted by the way a lot of others (not everyone) in my generational cohort were presenting themselves. I felt that there was an absence of poise, manners, class, and respect, and I didn't want to be grouped into that. So I just went my own way and, thankfully, found the Lounge!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I'll be 20 within the month, and I blame this all on my grandparents ;)

I've always had an affinity for vintage things-- I spent most of my child hood dressing up in my grandmother's clothes from the 40's and 50's. As a small child, they watched me during the day while my parents were at work. During those days together, we watched countless Golden Era musicals, dramas, and westerns. We would talk about the "good old days," go through photo albums and trunks of artifacts, and Grandma would do my hair in the styles that her mother did for her when she was little. We would listen to soundtracks from said musicals, artists such as Glen Miller and Benny Goodman, and other things on their record player, and I learned to play the piano from much of Grandma's old sheet music.

This tradition lasted through my school days, and now into my college years when I go and visit them and the same activities ensue.

Up until about a year and a half ago, the evidence off all this stayed inside the confines of their house, as I feared (foolishly) that I would be looked down on by my peers for my fabulous taste in fashion, music, and entertainment. I finally decided that I could dress in whatever way I want and blast whatever music I wanted to from my speakers when I drove down the highway, so now it's high-waisted skirts, glam makeup, Benny Goodman, and swing dancing for me!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Wow...I can't believe I missed this thread...but now that I see it, I'll make my post.

I'm 23 now, and have felt my interest in vintage growing and expanding for a great portion of my life so far. As a kid, I always had a fascination for antiques. On family vacations, I'd love stopping in antique stores in little tourist towns and seeing the antique toys, watches, lighters, whatever really. Vintage belongings just looked so much cooler to me at that age than some modern things.

Clothing wise, to this day, the only truly vintage clothing I sport on a regular basis is the fedora. I got into fedoras when I was about seventeen years old, and almost solely based off my interest in old detective movies. Since I've wanted to be a private detective for a long time, I felt I needed to get a "detective's hat".

I've come a long way since my first fedora, and now have somewhere around six or seven fur felts, ranging from your basic wool "cheapie" Indiana Jones knockoff, to several classic vintage hats, to one custom. I've also branched off into newsboys within the past two years, and wear them regularly as well.

Antiques wise, my collection has been growing over the years. I have a couple of old radios and phonographs from the 40's and 50's that I've acquired either through family or bought myself. I also have a decent collection of about six vintage wristwatches and pocket watches that I wear regularly. I love swing and big band music (both classic Glenn Miller era stuff and more modern swing revival), and old time radio shows.

My friends all comment that I have an old soul, and my personal attachment to fedoras and music from the Golden Era really play a significant part of who I am today.

Miss Molly

New in Town
It's nice to hear that people slowly grew into becoming 'vintage'! For ages I wanted to change my style to suit my personality more, but never had the confidence. Then I just thought, this is me! If I have to hide who I am from my friends for fear they might not like it, they're not my true friends anyway :) Was the best thing I've ever thought :D

I wear whatever I like now! Heels, skirts, red lippy to sixth form college... who cares what they think? My friend says I should've been born 70 years ago... :rolleyes: Nice to see other young people out there though. And to see that not everyone is the 'perfect' vintage yet! My collection is slowly but surely growing, but I've only been dressing this way for a year or so.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
ScionPI2005 said:
My friends all comment that I have an old soul

I get this quite often, or I'm told that I was born in the wrong decade. I wonder how many other "youngsters" on the board get this comment/compliment?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Interestingly enough, the only people I know who are less than completely enthusiastic about my fedora wearing habits are my parents. This is because when they were growing up, they saw men wearing fedoras only while dressed up with a suit...and since I don't ever wear a suit (though I do normally wear slacks and a button up shirt), they think its odd I wear a fedora. They have also commented that they don't think fedoras are very flattering...this may have to do with my age. They may think it makes me look older than I should try to look.

My dad however, does really like me in my newsboys. Still, they both know I like my "habit" and comment that some fedoras look "better on me than others".

sherri bomb

New in Town
maggiethespy said:
I get this quite often, or I'm told that I was born in the wrong decade. I wonder how many other "youngsters" on the board get this comment/compliment?

I was just going to say this. I just turned 21 and have always loved all things vintage. I've always been interested in history and I guess looking through old family photos sparked my intrigue. And who can ignore all the great fashions and movies!? My dad always said I was born wayy too late. I also thank my bf who has a niche for ww2 era things so we kinda ignite each other's fuel. It's nice to see some younger faces in the crowd ( no offense to other members of course, I think everyone here is great!). :eusa_clap

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
I'm now 40. I started down my vintage path the first time i tried on my Mom's vintage dresses (my "play dresses" when I was a little girl). I got more into it when I lived with my Aunt in her 1840's farmhouse surrounded by antiques and started developing a taste for antique jewelry. The vintage clothing was a natural progression for me in college when we "creative types" were expected to dress differently. Don't think that's what most folks had in mind however :D

The 1940's enticed me a decade ago when my house was buzzed by a B-17 & a B-24 one late summer afternoon. Then my tastes leaned toward all thing WWII and haven't stopped since.

It's been a wonderful journey; met many great folks (no Loungers yet) along the way. It's great to keep such a remarkable century like the 20th century alive.

Miss Molly

New in Town
Parents...

Interestingly enough, the only people I know who are less than completely enthusiastic about my fedora wearing habits are my parents.

My parents just laugh at me being so old fashioned... but in a nice way :rolleyes: I think they think it's 'sweet'!

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I love everything about the 30's and 40's.I suppose my grandfather started it all.He had me listening to Classical and Big Band (Ralph Flanagan being a favorite) before I could tie my shoes.

Mit besten Grüßen

Bingles

A-List Customer
I just missed the cut off.. since I'm 26... but I'm still posting! :p

I always loved history, earned my BA in History, and am now a certified (though unemployed) Social Studies teacher.

My love for history came not from the movies but from my family. I loved hearing my grandparents talk about their youth and raising children in the 50s and 60s. Though much has changed for the better in society, much has also been lost.

When I took on the task of transferring my family's 8mm home movies to VHS, I was amazed to see how people used to dress on a daily basis. My Grandmother's nightgown was fancier than what most women wear to a wedding these days! Men all had at least a button down shirt on, if not jacket and tie.. and the women had lovely dresses and hats. Even one of the movies which takes place in a park for a picnic shows my grandfather in starched white shirt, and grandma in a yellow dress. People cared what they looked like when they left the house! They took pride in themselves and their appearance.. something that is grossly needed in today's society.

As for hats themselves, I always loved hats since I was a kid. One grandfather always wore a fedora or ivy cap (though he died when I was in 3rd grade), and my other grandfather was never a hat man. I inherited my passion from the latter. When he died, my grandmother gave me his tweed ivy cap (he had a small head, and it fit my large third and fourth grade noggin). I loved it, though didn't wear it much because it was VERY out of style.. especially among kids of that age.

I always resisted baseball caps, though I had some, and wore them on occasion. I resented the idea of wearing a piece of clothing that was associated with sports.. which I don't like.. and are used to make the wearer a walking billboard.

My personal interest with American society from the 1920s-1963 and my love of hats finally merged when I bought my first fedora at a local men's clothing store. It was the wrong shape and brim width for me.. but at the time, I loved it! Nothing felt so right as that hat did.

Dressing well, especially with a hat, makes me feel put together and ready to face the world. I've noticed people treat me differently too, with a bit more respect. It's not that I am better than others, for I am not.. but I am important.. as every person is indeed important. Why not portray myself in a way that shows I have respect for myself and the people around me?

maggiethespy said:
Well, I'm a little past cutoff as well, but I got similar commentary when I was y'all's age--as mentioned in another thread, my suit frequently got me confused for faculty or admin on campus...

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan
via FoxyTunes

donCarlos

Practically Family
Bernard - Welcome, neighbour!

About me - 19 years old, I love vintage stuff, I love swing and I´m thinking about some lindy hop training...

It´s good to see so many young people around here!

LordBest

Practically Family
What ho, fellow young loungers.

How did I miss this topic, I wonder.

I am twenty three now, and something of an antiquarian, having been interested in everything old since I was three. I am just recently actually dressing vintage, after realising that thinking of oneself wearing three piece suits and fine hats is not quite the same as actually wearing them. It also causes quite a scandal at parties when one forgets this important fact.
The styles,tastes and habits of the English gentleman particularly interest me, being that way inclined myself.

Miss Molly

New in Town
Diamondback said:
Well, I'm a little past cutoff as well, but I got similar commentary when I was y'all's age--as mentioned in another thread, my suit frequently got me confused for faculty or admin on campus...

I've had that! Someone asked a friend of mine if I was a student teacher... I didn't know whether to be flattered or insulted... I chose flattered though :D It made me feel mature!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Bingles said:
My personal interest with American society from the 1920s-1963 and my love of hats finally merged when I bought my first fedora at a local men's clothing store. It was the wrong shape and brim width for me.. but at the time, I loved it! Nothing felt so right as that hat did.

Bingles, do you still have that first fedora? What make was it?

donCarlos

Practically Family
I haven´t noticed that part about others telling us that we are like old...

My friends tell me that I´m the youngest czech retired lol
And yesterday in the pub, when I first smoked my pipe, so many dumb comments... It really made me think if I´m not really too much into vintage style.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Relief through proclamation!

I am twenty four years of age, but have been generally considered several decades older than that in soul nearly since I was born (I never liked to be hugged, then as now); at least so far as cantankerousness is concerned.

I smoke a pipe, am never out of doors without a good hat, have and wax a moustache, shave with a straight razor, listen to jazz and usually speak in a very 'proper' manner, even though my linguistic training has taught me better than to think highly prescriptive speech to be genuinely superior.

I don't think of myself as aspiring in some comprehensive or coherent manner to a vintage lifestyle, but it happens that most of the time I do seem to prefer the old fashioned way of doing things. I've long loved old automobiles, especially those of the thirties, old clothes and old things generally. When I was very young, my parents bought a top hat for me as I had asked very earnestly for one. It was a modest-looking wool one, but it was no small nuisance for them to procure; they even let me wear it to school. Years later they bought a fedora for me at my request. It too was a very modest wool affair that was rather a bother for them to procure, but it led me, in a long and round-about way, to here and my sense of style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot