Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

young people & hats

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I love these threads!
I do not disregard all etiquette of old as it pertains to hats but I don't take my hat off at EVERY chance for a few reasons, two of these are: 1. I find ugly hat hair to be far more offensive than any offense I may have because some ancient tradition that was imposed on me without reason. 2. I wear lots of light colored hats and I don't have the opportunity to wash my hands for hat doffing. Your offense may cause an EPA Superfund clean up site to be created due to all the disposed of naptha.

I may have had a different view years back but I'm not too sure a surgically enhanced lady wearing Daisy Duke's and a midriff tied t shirt really expects me to doff my hat when I greet her. The lovely 70-ish neighbor lady who is always cordial and sends a thank you card when I stop and collect her wind-blown trash and put it back in the container gets a tip of the hat when I greet her.

Time progresses and things change. WE unfortunately live at a far more frenetic pace than when these rules were established.
Hats used just for purpose of cover left on in one's presence would indicate that you did not have the time to visit and that was rude. I don't have time to visit these days. I have to get my tail home and get on the internet and talk about hats baby! This website is way too smartphone unfriendly for me to get it done while I'm driving!

I couldn't agree with you more. If I'm going to be visiting at somebody's home for awhile, if I'm wearing a hat, I remove it and ask to use their washroom so I can go fix my hair.

1. I find ugly hat hair to be far more offensive than any offense I may have because some ancient tradition that was imposed on me without reason.

JJR512

New in Town
Boy, I couldn't disagree with that base assumption more. Using your logic we could say that car thieves are just showing their "confidence and independence" by refusing to respect the "social norm" of other people's property rights! Your entire assumption is based on faulty reasoning. Additionally, it wouldn't be a RULE of etiquette or a social norm if everyone simply decided they would do what ever they want to do regardless. This is the way to anarchy and not an ordered, civilized society.

It is your logic and reasoning that is faulty. "Don't steal a car" isn't a social norm, it is a law. But that's a minor point. The larger point is that if you steal a person's car, you are causing harm to that person. Perhaps not physical harm, but certainly financial harm. As I asked in my previous post, how does refusal to follow hat etiquette actually harm someone else? If we're eating together, and I don't take my hat off, does your food taste worse? Oh, perhaps you feel you've been emotionally harmed, or disrespected. That's all in your mind, though. If you hadn't been taught hat etiquette, and bought into it, you wouldn't feel disrespected. The harm of stealing a car is real, though.

One Too Many
I believe because can see the new generations using some kind hats, although tne new models are different at vintage, hats is like love: Are new and modern version, the pasion to love and use hat is same.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
How long has your brother been wearing fedoras? Because your example illustrates the difference between style and fashion. If the 'young punks' who are wearing fedoras today are not wearing them a year, or some part thereof, from now, the it was a fashion for them. But the men here, who have worn them for years, and/or will continue to do so despite what others around us are wearing, are doing it because it is our style. If its our style, we wear it primarily for ourselves. If its a fashion, we wear primarily it for others.

I found it kind of funny that he was complaining about them wearing fedoras. My brother is just the kind of chap I would have classified as a young punk a few years back. The first hat I bought him that he picked out about ten years ago was the most awful, longhaired looking off white thing that I ever saw. He’s usually the prime example of your thoughts on fashion over style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner