Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your 1st impression, please.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Stumbled upon this hat today at a local antiques place that I frequent, and immediately I thought it was a ******* :)
Well, I won't say what I thought it was because I wanted to see if anyone else could recognize it or see it as I did in that first instant.
When I picked it up and read the liner, I found that I was wrong. :(
Still it was made by a well known hat maker.
So at first glance, what kind of hat would you say this is?

newschoblehat.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
hm... let's just rattle off all hatmakers we can think of.

borsalino? (though if it was, there wouldn't be a frowny face)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
WEEGEE said:
Not familar which makes it that much more special. please show the inside and do tell feel and such.

Here's the inside. Says, "Schoble Twenty
Fifth Avenue New York
Since 1886
It's a printed liner, not embroidered like the other Schoble I recently found. Also has a protective plastic cover over it.
The felt is fairly soft and light, so I think it must be a fur felt. Definately not a stiff and coarse wool.
newschoblehat001.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
that's pretty tiny. you bought it though?

Yep. The price was right and I just don't see many old fedoras in these parts. Of course I haven't been looking for very long. So far I have found 8 vintage hats from all of my sources. All have been from the 60's or late 50's, and all were reasonably priced, so I buy them for investment and preservation purposes.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Weegee

It's instinct. I see an old fur felt hat in my travels, and I buy it. Regardless of size or imperfections. Some hat afficianado out there will eventually take them off my hands. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner