Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your dvd library.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
We record everything worthwhile off TCM onto DVD. Very few modern movies purchased, they don't make them like they used to. We have around 800 movies now.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I just added:

The Man with Bogarts Face
Casablanca
AMC Movie Collection 1st Edition
M*A*S*H season 4
Hogans Heroes Season 1 - 3
The Adventures of Superman Season 1
The Aviator
The Black Sheep Squadron Volume 1
The Andy Griffith Show

Will Soon add the Rat Patrol and Operation Petticoat to my collection.

I usually can pick them up at Walmart.

Gray Ghost

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
My most recent acquisition was an undeservedly obscure 1965 World War II thriller entitled, Morituri starring Yul Brynner and Marlon Brando. It has it all: a superb cast, crisp, well-paced directing by Bernard Wicki, a darkly compelling screenplay by Oscar-winner Daniel Taradash, brilliant cinematography by Conrad Hall and an edgy, memorable score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Sadly, the film (and its brilliant director, Bernard Wicki) became victims of Marlon Brando's perverse
"let's-find-a-way-to-throw-a-spanner-wrench-into-the-production" phase of his career. Another possible reason for its poor box office showing was its existential tone and its unsympathetic portrayals of both the Americans and the British. I really recommend this film, it's a true lost gem!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
New purchases:

Seabiscuit (loved it)
Lost in translation (I thought this was a good movie but especially in the beginning, it kind of dragged on and on)
dvd collection of Road runner vs. Wiley Coyote (I just love the old cartoons :) )

maintcoder

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
Just grabbed the Cary Grant film "My Favorite Wife" on DVD. Review and screen grabs to come.

I recently (re)watched this movie and it is a lot of fun. You have to love Randolph Scott's character toying with Cary Grant. I also liked the remake with James Garner and Doris Day, "Move Over, Darling" - which unfortunately is not available on DVD.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
That is exactly why I needed to join Netflix. I could not deal with the lack of interesting titles at Blockbuster. Not to mention the lines...

There is also http://www.greencine.com/ They have tons of old and obscure flicks from all over the world. Id join them too, but Netflix is enough for me for now. :eek:

As far as recent movies added to my collection, none to speak of. There have not been any good flicks worth shellin' out new for in a while (except House MD season 2). So I wait till they are on the $5 rack.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
I notice those Criterion Collection films are costly. Does anyone know why that is?

If I had the money I would buy the "Fifty Years of Janus films" collection releasing soon.

Most of the CT line also has intence interviews and behind the scenes stuff as well. Ive always wanted Do the Right Thing, and the Seventh Samurai.

LD

GOK

One Too Many
Oh goodness, Blockbuster is horrible. I've only been in there once and had to leave quite quickly due to the noise level. I would say it was music but I'd be lying. I only went there because a friend said they had a fab sale on! Oh well. [huh]

I rent from Amazon and have no complaints other than they don't hire NTSC discs, which is a real shame. I buy from Canada quite often because the prices are so much more reasonable than over here, and I have a couple of favourite Ebay sellers that do really good deals (totally legitimately I might add). Caiman is also pretty good for selection, pricing and shipping.

Most recent (modern) purchases have been V for Vendetta (I found out after watching it that Allan Moore lives around the corner to me!), Lucky Number Slevin and The Notorious Bettie Page. The latter is beautifully shot and Gretchen Mol is super cute!

I was lucky enough to get a copy of Miracle on 34th St (Edmund Gwenn) just before the price soared a couple of weeks ago. Now it seems to be going for silly money. I also picked up a 3 disc pre-code set because I wanted Of Human Bondage. I haven't watched Kept Husband yet but Millie is interesting. It's not a well executed film but worth watching because of the way it was made. It actually felt more like a play than a film. It's also great to watch from a clothing perspective!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Finally got the Maltese Falcon 3-disc edition at Borders last night, 30% off. It's a really clean "print."

The desire for a falcon prop is hot again! What a great film.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
got this yesterday at wal mart

B000HA4WRU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41201931_.jpg

and from Starbucks

http://www.hearmusic.com/#PRODUCT232

lindylady

A-List Customer
I'm starting to build up a vintage film collection. So far, I have a number of Fred and Ginger musicals, Humphrey Bogart films, and Sherlock Holmes movies. I also have black-and-white cartoons like Betty Boop, Casper the Friendly Ghost, the old Looney Tunes. My modern collection is made up of James Bond, Jurassic Park, and cartoons from the 80s-90s.

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
Finally got the Maltese Falcon 3-disc edition at Borders last night, 30% off. It's a really clean "print."

The desire for a falcon prop is hot again! What a great film.
I recently got the three disk too! How do you like it? I love the quality of the new print. It is clean and looks amazing on my computer.

Any thoughts on the '31 version? I like the female cast a lot but thought the fellas were "hammy". :)

I have been biding my time for a while now waiting for the Falcon. One day...

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GOK said:
Most recent (modern) purchases have been V for Vendetta (I found out after watching it that Allan Moore lives around the corner to me!), Lucky Number Slevin and The Notorious Bettie Page. The latter is beautifully shot and Gretchen Mol is super cute!

Lucky Number Slevin is on my list and I just rented V for Vendetta and Casanova with a friend last night. V will be purchased soon.

Obviously V is right up my political alley, but I was really struck at how well costumed both were. Casanova had beautiful period costumes, Knowing of our own Venetian tourists I wonder how well they evoked the locations of the period?

V used, as so many films dealing with totalitarianism do, the fascist chic of the 30's to remind us that statists, of every political stripe, are alike and that their "utopias" uniformly and quickly become drab and colorless places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot