Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your dvd library.

Feraud

Bartender
I could not find a thread to show our dvd purchases and decided to start one.

Along with having a well stocked bookshelf I have my movie library stocked with films I enjoy.
Does anyone else find the need to have their favorite movies on hand for immediate viewing? Do you ever get an arge to watch The Maltese Falcon or Gunga Din at odd hours?

A local Blockbuster Video is going out of business and is having a big sale.
I scooped up Miller's Crossing and T-Men at discounted prices.

What have you you added to your collection lately?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Hearing that a Blockbuster is going out of business is music to my ears. I have never liked their misson of conquest. I have seen them try and put video stores out of business. They killed a lot of mom & pop stores that carry the titles you and I like.

As for having movies in my libarary...you bet....but only if I plan to watch it at least five times over the next ten years. If it doesn't meet that grade, I don't need to own it. I went crazy in the late eighties when I bought my first VCR. I was taping and buying like crazy. I amassed a large collection. There were movies that I never did watch, yet I stored them for 15 years and moved four times. I have since thinned the herd. Now I buy movies that I study as well as watch.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
The local Hollywood Video here is clearing out their VHS collection so you can I picked up a slew of classic movies for $3 each. Among the bounty are:

Love Crazy
The Great Ziegfield
Ziegfield Girl
The Divorcee
Lovely to Look At
Red Dust
Letter to Three Wives
The Best Years of our Lives
The Clock
So Proudly We Hail
In the Good Old Summertime
Broadway Melody of 1935
and lots more...

If you have one by you, you may want to check if they're getting rid of them too cause it's a great chance to pick them up on the cheap- if you're "vintage" enough to still have a VHS player lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The vast majority of my stuff is still on VHS -- I have nine Rubbermaid bins upstairs full of videocassettes, split between stuff I bought when it came out and stuff I taped off TCM (and AMC, back when it wasn't lousy). But I have finally begun to switch over to DVD -- my last purchase was "Heavenly Creatures," a fascinating Peter Jackson film documenting an infamous New Zealand murder case committed by two teenage girls -- it's set in 1954, and the period detail is excellent. Plus it's Kate Winslet's first big role, and she's always worth seeing.

Other recent acquisitions --

"The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" -- my favorite Preston Sturges film.
"Malcolm X" -- a new edition with added special features.
"Mrs. Henderson Presents" -- I saw it nine times when we ran it at the theatre, and loved it so much I hard to run out and buy the disc!

And now I see that the "Astaire-Rogers Collection, Volume 2" is coming out in two weeks. And me without a cent of extra money -- eeeeeeek!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I really don't like Lackluster Video

It is called Blockbuster,..but I call it "Lack-Luster Video".

It seems as if every time I walk into one, (maybe three times in my life) they have 200 copies of the newest film, and the rest of the selection sucks.

We had a private video store "Einstein Video" near our home. It sadly closed about two years ago. What replaced it is another story. The owner of this fine place was a true movie buff..and he had EVERY obscure, classic, modern, and of course the new releases. He SOLD movies too. Ones you can't find anywhere.

So, I have about 250 DVD's in my collection, and my 14 year old son has about double that!:eek:

Yes, I pop in a DVD when the mood hits, from ALL the Oscar Winners, to Film Noir, to Classics, War, Mini series. I love it!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Every hour is an odd hour for me

I ordered the Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection Vol. 2 set of discs from The Fedora Lounge Store the other day. Didn't want to have to keep borrowing the titles from the public library. I don't rent movies and don't have cable. I prefer VHS because if something goes wrong I can repair it. Loved Netflix but I couldn't keep up and, again, problems with stuck pictures on the scratched discs. I probably own 1000 movies? There is a pile from the library of 10 or 12 now. Got the Val Lewton dvd set with a gift certificate I won (!) from Barnes and Noble: thoses titles were no longer available from the library, like Cat People. Also one of my favorites, Chan is Missing.

Feraud

Bartender
Andykev said:
It is called Blockbuster,..but I call it "Lack-Luster Video".

It seems as if every time I walk into one, (maybe three times in my life) they have 200 copies of the newest film, and the rest of the selection sucks.
That is exactly why I needed to join Netflix. I could not deal with the lack of interesting titles at Blockbuster. Not to mention the lines...

How does everyone add to their collections? Do you have a favorite vendor? Amazon, Tower Records, Best Buy, etc.? I tend to visit Tower or Best Buy and look for discounted dvds. The classics and obscure films are usually lower than new releases and special editions, and I tend to buy those first. Most special editions drop in price after some time. I bought the To Kill a Mockingbird special for less than 10 dollars at Best Buy a while ago.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
If I was a millionaire I'd buy every title from the Criterion Collection, but I've been able scrape up some dough to buy a few....Fellini, Kurosawa...'The Third Man' was nearly forty bucks! I always check out the bargain bins at WalMart for some the classic standards. I also hit all the pawn shops and occasionally find a jewel amongst all the Jackie Chans and Jean Claude Van Dammes.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I started collecting my own video library when the youngest was born, with all the sleepless nights, there were for sure some odd hours that I needed a good movie to watch. All we had till then were guy movies (shoot out, fire, blood, you get the idea ;) ). I'm pretty happy with the chick flicks I've got so far but need to add more. I've come across a dilema at time where I need to watch a good movie but all that I've had, it's been to recent to sit down and enjoy them :(

Feraud

Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
If I was a millionaire I'd buy every title from the Criterion Collection, but I've been able scrape up some dough to buy a few....Fellini, Kurosawa...'The Third Man' was nearly forty bucks!
I notice those Criterion Collection films are costly. Does anyone know why that is?

If I had the money I would buy the "Fifty Years of Janus films" collection releasing soon.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I tend to buy films that I obsess about, like "The Third Man" or "The Maltese Falcon." I never tire of those films. I tend to buy films that are classics, like The Sean Connery Bond films or "Chinatown." I also buy movies that I don't often see on TV, like "Bringing Up Baby." If I don't often watch a film I buy, I give it away.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am odd man out cause I never felt the urge to purchase films in any format. The few I taped on VHS I found laying around years later never having been viewed.:eusa_doh: I also don't want/need any more collections of anything taking up space.

I own a VHS of Frequency, a DVD of The Wild Bunch and a 5 CD collection of W.C Fields movies. That's it for store bought I have a couple 3 Stooges episodes of about 12 hours total I taped off TV and various stuff from the History Channel on combat aircraft.[huh]

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
I have a pretty decent sized DVD collection. I have movies spanning several genres and a pretty broad time period. I recently added a DVR and that comes in handy when no one else wants to watch something from TCM or Retro. I need to figure out how to either download the content onto the computing tower or burn them onto DVD possibly.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Criterion

Feraud said:
I notice those Criterion Collection films are costly. Does anyone know why that is?

If I had the money I would buy the "Fifty Years of Janus films" collection releasing soon.

The Criterion Collection is the gold standard for film restoration when transferrring it to DVD. They are pricey, but IMHO worth the dollars when you see the wonderful way they bring the films back from a muddy existence.

Personally, my collection is quite robust - I collect all manner of films from the 1910's to the latest and haven't watched nearly 1/3 of everything I own (one must work and have other interests). If you are curious, my collection is cataloged here.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Got the Val Lewton dvd set with a gift certificate I won (!) from Barnes and Noble: thoses titles were no longer available from the library, like Cat People. Also one of my favorites, Chan is Missing.

I want that Collection! Are those the white DVD covers that have 2 movies per disc? I went through and rented them each individually not too long ago.

My DVD collection currently consists only of a few Russian movies that I had a hard time finding, so purchased on Amazon, The White Sun of the Desert, The Diamond Arm, and The Gentlemen of Luck; Out of the Past, which I purchased for academic reasons a while back; and Laura, which was unexpectedly given to me as a present.

And by the way, I dropped Netflix awhile back because I'd become suddenly satisfied with the Hollywood Video down the street from my new apartment. A pleasant surprise, I guess.

The Duke

One of the Regulars
recent movies purchased:

The Wild Wild West Complete First Season
Adventures Of Superman Complete First Season
The Strange Loves Of Martha Ivers starring Kirk Douglas and Barbara Stanwyck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot