Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Film Costumes

tuppencehapenny

New in Town
I just came across this thread and I thought it was worth reviving. That suit of Marilyn's from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is among my favourite ever movie costumes and I've been searching in vain for a sewing pattern for a similar one. In fact most of the costumes in that film are on my wishlist!

I'd also like to nominate Betty Grable's yellow and green cherry/apple print outfit from the movie Pin Up Girl.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
What a fun thread to scroll through! It was already mentioned in some earlier posts, but Ginger's feather dress in Top Hat is one of my all time favorites.

I also adore this dress Vivien Leigh wore in the beginning of Gone With the Wind:
19_6128_Scrltt_on_Log__Ta.jpg

Totally over-the-top, but I love it.

It's not technically Golden Era, but Faye Dunaway's "Bonnie and Clyde" 60s-does-30s wardrobe has always been hugely inspirational to me:
bonnie-faye.jpg

Oh, and I also love almost all of Mae West's 1930s gowns. Her costumes were just the epitome of glamour and so luxurious looking.

Amie

One of the Regulars
Not exactly my fave, but got around to watching "Dinner at Eight" again and must say Billie Burke's gown was gorgeous.

BILLIE.JPG

Joan Crawford of course had the most wonderful dresses. Here's the number she had on in "Grand Hotel" that we remember so well.

tumblr_l49nl9gAQR1qarjnpo1_500.jpg

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I just came across this thread and I thought it was worth reviving. That suit of Marilyn's from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is among my favourite ever movie costumes and I've been searching in vain for a sewing pattern for a similar one. In fact most of the costumes in that film are on my wishlist!

Which Marilyn suit is the one you want? Is it the one when she sings When Love Goes Wrong? If so, this once by Big Beautiful Barbara Brown is based on it - http://www.bigbeautifulbarbarabrown.com/id2.html

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
Elizabeth-Taylor-in-Cat-on-a-Hot-Tin-Roof-elizabeth-taylor-10973172-950-534.jpg

This dress from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is always the first costume i think of.
adooo.gif

It's SO hard to find good images of this, it's a cape from Bell, Book, and Candle that I'm absolutely obsessed with. It's reversible, so it's black on one side and leopard print on the other, and when she wears it with a hooded dress it's just too awesome.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I forgot about this one... Marilyn Monroe's jacket from the Prince and the Showgirl! It's so so pretty. And apparently it was auctioned off fairly recently... oh, to be a millionaire!
SS_monroe_preseley8.jpg

20090814160808!Marilyn_Monroe_in_The_Prince_and_the_Showgirl_trailer_cropped.jpg

wahine

Practically Family
I forgot about this one... Marilyn Monroe's jacket from the Prince and the Showgirl! It's so so pretty. And apparently it was auctioned off fairly recently... oh, to be a millionaire!

Actually, you didn't have to be a millionaire. As far as I know, it was sold for $ 27,500.
Quite a bargain, mh?

But even more than a million was paid for her famous Happy Birthday Mr president dress:

sorry for the OT (it's not a film costume)

Amie

One of the Regulars
Most everything Stanwyck wore in "Double Indemnity" and here's one example:

babs.jpg

plus that midriff bearing number she wore in "Lady Eve":
oh_hopsy.jpg

barbara-stanwyck-lady-eve.jpg

Amie

One of the Regulars
I'm so smitten with Theda Bara's outfit in "A Fool There Was." The stripes are amazing.

Blog11Feb11-1.png

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ooh! I agree!
I love Priscilla's costumes in "Varsity Show", too.
I just saw "Too Many Girls" from 1940, and I have to say I've added that to some of my all time collegiate/western inspiration. So many cute clothes! It has Lucy and Ricky in it- and I admit I did a double take. Ricky looks so young! And Lucy is gorgeous, of course. But I think Ann Miller wins for best clothes in that movie. There's a really great photo of some of the stars in the movie at the bottom of this page.

Last edited:

K.McG

New in Town
my goodness I could go on for days.....

For vintage movies, Gone With The Wind, Rebecca, Shadow of a Doubt, I have to agree with whom ever mentioned Eve's dress from North By North West....well actually, costumes from any Hitchcock film really... I've had the absolute honour of working with some vintage Hollywood costumes, Grace Kelly's black and white Edith Head dress from Rear Window among them.

as for contemporary, Nilga Dickson's work on the LOtR trilogy, any thing and everything done by Colleen Atwood, Sandy Powell's work in The Young Victoria.....Every thing from the Coppola Dracula...the 'Breathe Dress' from Ever After is at the top of my list...ugh its hard to pick just a few.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
This thread's so great; I'm glad it was revived!

Recently I've been positively haunted by Joan Crawford's stunning gown from 1933's Dancing Lady
joan_crawford-dancing_lady-1933.jpg

Sorry it's a giant picture, but I couldn't find any other size. I love her exuberant expression; that would be the most exhilarating entrance, I imagine, coming down that staircase in that dress! (Provided you didn't trip on the crazy long hem, of course ;) )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner