Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Hot Dog Stand?

When in the Hollywood California area I do my best to get to Pink's which has superb hot dogs. My cousins from Denmark love to go when they are visiting. I like Nathan's a lot also but I don't think their dogs are the same as in NYC.

Mustard, Onions and Kraut!
Chili-cheese dog!

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Hot Dog Palace in Concord, CA. Polish Sausage with cheese and some of their fries made from scratch. Too bad I now live in Sacramento.:(
Bob.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I work right down the street from a gourmet hot dog shop, anyone ever have Guacamole on a hot dog? It's very tasty.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Olneyville New York System Wienies. They have a window thats open late night. You have to order a specific way or you won't get your wienie!! The guy who works there lines the dogs up and down his arms, and turns the entire order process into entertainment. They have one down the street from my parents house in Cranston RI.. But the best one is the original, in Onleyville RI. Just to explain, when you order a "wienie all the way" you get a dog on a very soft bun with some sort of meat/chili concoction, chopped onions, and celery salt. You can order them other ways, but this is considered the official "NY System Dog". Funny thing is, in NY, they don't even eat them this way!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
When in the Hollywood California area I do my best to get to Pink's which has superb hot dogs.

I thought Pink's was pretty good, not the best though! Maybe I ordered the wrong thing!

I love getting hot dogs whenever I go to Giant's games in SF. My dad splits season tickets with co-workers, so I used to get dragged along to games quite often when I was in high school. I only wanted to go for the food!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Superdawg in Chicago.... one of the last drive-ins left... go on the weekends in the summer, when all the classic cars come out, and enjoy an amazing Chicago dog with everything-- you won't be dissapointed :D

zeus36

A-List Customer
I also did not think that Pink's was all that great... Everything was overcooked to me.

Here is a link to some dog fans in the LA area in search of the perfect wiener:

http://hotdogspot.com/2004/06/skoobys-in-hollywood-have-we-found.html

I plan on trying Cupids in Solvang, CA this weekend. They are supposed to be similar to the original Cupids in the Valley. Eventually, I will hit Carney's in Studio City as they were rated near the top of the list.

The best dogs I have had were in my home town of Canton, Ohio. There was a place downtown called the Golden Pheasant that served the best chilidogs. Real sauce with chunks of onions but without all the flour, and nice steamed buns. Wieners with a natural casing from Superior Brand meats.

I'm now partial to Top Dog in Albuquerque. They serve a great Chicago style dog with celery salt. I see that Wienerschnitzel is now serving a Chicago dog, which is not bad, but not as good as Top Dog.

farnham54

A-List Customer
For me, and no doubt for anyone visiting, it's Bob's Dogs right here at the UoG campus.

As Hem says, it's all about the setting.

Bob refuses to serve you if you aren't smiling. That right there usually cheers you up! Then, while your dog is cooking, he'll bust out is guitar and sing you a song. If there on a date, it'll be romantic. If it's during Frosh week, he'll sing "Back To School", one of his favorites (that I beleive he wrote).

He's a near-national celebrity, with is dogs being enjoyed by EVERY visiting envoy that the UoG has ever seen, including Peter Mansbridge, Pamela Wallen, Sidney Crosby, and others.

Further, he has a photo board (which encompasses his entire shack) that has photos of all his customers.

Bob is certainly an example for EVERY vendor, hot dog and not, out there. Very cool guy that just makes my day.

Oh and did I mention, the buns are always toasted just right?

Cheers
Craig

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Open late and with reason

When in Hollywood, be sure to stand in line.

pinks.jpg

Good hot dogs come at a price. Even at 2 in the morning.

pinks2.jpg

I've never eaten at Pinks. I've walked past it more. It's like this all the time.

Note the years the banners are celebrating in both photos. I bet those are the same people.
Four years of their lives gone, by waiting for a hot dog.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Pink's hot Italian sausage with chili, cheese, mustard and onion is tough to beat.

Two amazing places have gone out of business many years ago. Big Wiennies are Better (Hollywood) and The Hotdog in Burbank before the original owner sold it 25 years ago.

The best hotdog joint left in LA is The Wiener Factory on Ventura and Kester in Sherman Oaks.

I have a couple of places up here.....but nothing as good as LA....yet.

Mr. Pinstripe Suit

New in Town
Red's in San Francisco... (NOT Red's Java House)

There's a crusty old place at the foot of the Bay Bridge on SF's Southern Embarcadero called "Reds" that has been there since the Big Bang. Their dogs are stunning, yet they do NOTHING to them!! The magical part is that they're just unbelieveably fresh and the skin literally "snaps" when you bite into them.

On another note, my favorite dogs are rarely found on menus anywhere, but you really haven't lived until you've had one deep fried! :eek: Especially smothered with chili.

Don't panic...it doesn't make them any more fattening than they already are. They're rolled bologna tubes fer crisssake!! :p

-Kevin

vonwotan

Practically Family
I don't eat hot dogs very often, but Papaya King in New York, or a good ol' dirty water dog from a street vendor while walking to the entrance of Central Park.

Rosie

One Too Many
I don't eat hot dogs anymore but, when I did, it was Gray's Papaya (not to be confused with Papaya King) which when I was in college, sold two dogs and a large drink for $2.50, couldn't beat that. Nathan's in Coney Island (and ONLY in CI, those chain stores are YUCK!) sold the best dogs, a dog and an order of their fries were the best!

"Eat your Coney Island and drink your Nehi".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats