Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Sandwiches?

imported_the_librarian

One of the Regulars
Wow, that sounds great!

Ok..here's another sandwich that I ate waaayy too much of in the service, but gotta mention it....hope it's not a dupe:

spam-n-egg.

Out in the field in the middle of winter, really good stuff along with some coffee that's been brewing for 2 days in the mess tent.

:) Yum...

Of course, I guess now everyone in the world knows I'll never be an Emeril!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
The best sandwich I know is from a famous Norwegian 20s cookbook. It's called (if I remember the english equivalents to the Norwegian titles correctly, and I probably don't,) a Duke Sandwich. I "translated" the recipe to a modern kitchen, and It's the best sanwich I've ever tasted. The filling is an egg salad with mayo, mustard, chicken and parmesan cheese. Matched with white bread and salad.

pgoat

One Too Many
I like lots of the ones posted already, and I can appreciate a great sandwich made with fresh quality ingredients....but much as I hate to admit it, my secret guilty pleasure happens once every 24 months or so when I cave, and buy a can of Underwood's Chicken Spread....pure fat and chicken gristle....I'm always relieved to not see anything moving when I open the can!:eek:

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
my absolutely favorite sandwich comes from the red and black cafe in portland. it's called a "TLT" or "TLP" - tempeh bacon, lettuce and either tomato or roasted pepper, with herbed veganaise on sourdough. mmmm.

another favorite grilled sandwich that i like to make myself is marinated grilled tofu, avocado, tomato (if in season), grilled onions, and sometimes cheese. and whatever else i have laying around that sounds good!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I can't believe I've read a bunch of these posts and nobody here likes a fried bologna (baloney) sandwich! Thats a staple around here, along with heart attacks...but they are good!

pgoat said:
I like lots of the ones posted already, and I can appreciate a great sandwich made with fresh quality ingredients....but much as I hate to admit it, my secret guilty pleasure happens once every 24 months or so when I cave, and buy a can of Underwood's Chicken Spread....pure fat and chicken gristle....I'm always relieved to not see anything moving when I open the can!:eek:
Yup, that one and the other the Underwood Deviled Ham are processed meats at their most processed. I like the deviled ham on toasted sourdough.

Copper

One of the Regulars
I have a couple favourite sandwiches out there, and a couple I am going to have to try making after reading this thread...

There is a place in town that does a strange variation on the Shish Taouk that Lizziemaine mentioned. They spell it as Shish Tawouk and it starts the same way with fresh pita and spit roasted chicken. they then add a few fried potato slices, a handful of pickles, a splash of garlic sauce, a splash of hot sauce, and top it with a very odd kind of Lebanese coleslaw made with purple cabbage. They finish it with a minute or so in a panini press.

Very odd, but absolutely incredible.

I am also very fond of doing this sandwich myself; fresh onion bun with roasted leg of lamb, gorgonzola cheese and red pepper jelly.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I'm quite boring with sandwiches...I really like anything with portobellos, mozzarella, and balsamic, if I was going fancy. But truly? Ham, gruy?®re and butter on a baguette. Or egg mayo, which, I am told, is the only sandwich ever left over at children's parties. Oh well, more for me!!

rumblefish

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
I can't believe I've read a bunch of these posts and nobody here likes a fried bologna (baloney) sandwich! Thats a staple around here, along with heart attacks...but they are good!
Fried Balogna. Yes, and melted American cheese!

But Favorite?
Lobster roll-Lobster salad (with some lobster roe) on a buttered toasted hot dog roll.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lately I've been eating Vietnamese sandwiches. These come on somewhat hard French rolls with spicy meats, pates, always shredded carrots, some onion, some vinegar. No cheese. I like them because they are different and CHEAP. You get them for about $2 here, whereas in contrast a good normal restaurant sandwich will run you $5-$8.50.

pgoat

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Yup, that one and the other the Underwood Deviled Ham are processed meats at their most processed. I like the deviled ham on toasted sourdough.

Ok, but Just once every year or so, okay? (see Kentucky Fried Bologna post above):eek:

imported_the_librarian

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:

Being originally from the great KY, I second the motion, however, ya gotta go to Waldo, OH

Here's a link: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/23/sunday/main564737.shtml

Unless you live southern KY, makes for a nice road trip! Anything in southern ky, make take another hour or so.....

pgoat

One Too Many
This reminds me - those who like this thread on the FL should check ths web site out:

http://www.roadfood.com/

I found it whilst waxing nostalgic about those Butoni Flying saucer toaster pizzas of the 70s (vomitous cheese/sauce slop enclosed in crust - the crust burned to a hard-palate-searing temperature whilst the filling remained frozen no matter what......), Koogle flavored Peanut butter ("Koo-koo-koogle, with the koo-koo-koogely eyes!!"), and Chizza (A nasty frozen all-white pie - which no one else seems to remember, which could mean I was on acid for at least one portion of my childhood.....)

D

DeaconKC

Not quite sure if this still qualifies.......

but there is a central/southern Illinois .......uh........sammich........uh.........meal..........ok, it's a heart attack on a plate, they call the Horseshoe. lay a kaiser roll open face with a thick grilled burger on each half. Mustard, grilled onions and dill pickle, cover with hot, fat fries and then pour melted cheese over the whole shebang.

ContinentalOp

New in Town
One of my favorite sandwiches...sauteed sliced portabello mushrooms with lettuce, baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, hummus, and spicy brown mustard on multigrain bread, seasoned with a little salt, pepper, and oregano. mmmmmmmmm.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
So many and so little time.

There is a sandwich served in West Texas. It is German sausage, sour kraut, swiss cheese with mustard on grilled rye. Make my mouth water just thinking about it. Yummmmmmmmmmmm

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Today I had smoked salmon with lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, onions, cornichons, and mayonnaise on a croissant roll at a neighborhood sandwich shop..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80