Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite toys as a kid?

Now the Crossman Model 350/M1 Carbine with the wooden stock (produced only in 1965-66) is on my Holy Grail list. Heck, from what I've been reading about it, I'd even settle for the straight Model 350. :p

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Indeed I am! :)

One of the things I collect are vintage toys. It seems like the coolest toys were either the ones from before your time or after you had "outgrown" them. I had the whole lot when I was a kid: Hot Wheels, Matchbox, etc.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?53893-What-do-you-collect-other-than-Hats/page6

Good on you! I am a collector too. I collect Barbies. I also collected some Hotwheels (just the ones I like) and I have a thing with caravan models so I collect them too! I shall check out your link later..best get on an write my essay!

Pompidou

One Too Many
Born in 78, I was a child of the 80's and thus, went from He Man and Go Bots action figures to a Nintendo Entertainment System, and once hooked on videogames, never turned back. My toys were action figures and videogames. The latter still are.

djd

Practically Family
Action Man (the British GI Joe), Lego, Dinky and Corgi toy cars, Hornby trains and Airfix model aircraft....

Action Man and Lego were my staples when I wasn't outside playing war and shooting imaginary Nazis with a selection of toy guns!

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
Action Man (the British GI Joe), Lego, Dinky and Corgi toy cars, Hornby trains and Airfix model aircraft....

Did you see the episode of James May's Toy Stories where he and some kids made a life size Airfix spitfire model? It was fantastic.

One of my favorite toys growing up were Micronauts
micronauts.jpg

djd

Practically Family
I did see the James May thing yes. Those kids seemed a bit bemused by it all!

Micronauts were very slightly after my time. My brother had some though. When Star Wars came out I was very keen on the action figures.... (secretly I still am)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
sometimes we'd go to Kelly's Lake at the end of Lake Drive in Copiague by Montauk Hwy / Merrick Road to shoot a variety of item we could float in the water and sink by shooting.

Reminds me of a verse from an old John Prine song:

Well, sometimes we'd travel right down the Green River
To the abandoned old prison down by Adrie Hill
Where the air smelled like snakes and we'd shoot with our pistols
But empty pop bottles was all we would kill.

AF

DNO

One Too Many
When you're born in '52, I suspect all of your toys have become classic. In my case it was Dinky toys and Britain's soldiers. Adding firecrackers into the mix lead to some interesting results.

When you're born in '52, I suspect all of your toys have become classic. In my case it was Dinky toys and Britain's soldiers. Adding firecrackers into the mix lead to some interesting results.

We used to make all sorts of models planes, tanks, ships and blow them up with firecrackers. We used to sit and work up all sorts of miniature demolition events to get the most out of every bang. One favorite was to launch small juice cans with firecrackers.

DNO

One Too Many
My parents were still finding buried Dinky toys for years and years after I left home.

Sounds like we had similar activities, John. I don't know how many of my toy soldiers required toothpicks to keep their heads on, but it was quite a few. In Toronto, we could only get firecrackers in the week or so preceding Victoria Day (closest Monday to May 24th) so the neighbourhood used to echo to the sounds of firecrackers every day after school. Lots of toys and cans blown up.

Sounds like we had similar activities, John. I don't know how many of my toy soldiers required toothpicks to keep their heads on, but it was quite a few. In Toronto, we could only get firecrackers in the week or so preceding Victoria Day (closest Monday to May 24th) so the neighbourhood used to echo to the sounds of firecrackers every day after school. Lots of toys and cans blown up.

In my area of NY all fireworks were totally illegal. So we were engaged in receiving dangerous, illegal, smuggled goods.

My dad laid down the ground rules:
One never hold and light a firecracker,
Two never try to throw a lit firecracker.
Three: Always place a firecracker into the spot where you intend to use it and get away to a safe distance after lighting.

I have had a few extremely fast fuses and gotten pelted with debris but never got burned or hurt or blew off fingers using the rules.

DNO

One Too Many
In my area of NY all fireworks were totally illegal. So we were engaged in receiving dangerous, illegal, smuggled goods.

Three: Always place a firecracker into the spot where you intend to use it and get away to a safe distance after lighting.

I have had a few extremely fast fuses and gotten pelted with debris but never got burned or hurt or blew off fingers using the rules.

Sound rules, indeed.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I never knew anyone who followed the rules!lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn