Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite toys as a kid?

rue

I actually like dolls, just not the talking variety....

My all time favorite presents were:
Madame Alexander Dolls, especially Scarlett O'Hara

106464_328276_5.jpg

My Cher doll and dressing room

barbie-bob-mackie-cher-70-s-indian-heritage-inspired-54c46.jpg
51sR03ROukL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

And of course Barbie, but I only liked the brunette ones and they were quite mean to my blonde Barbies :p

The only thing I ever really wanted and never got was a dollhouse like this:

garfield.gif

My friend had one with working lights and I used to drool over it. I still want one :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Somehow I can see you doing that. But I thought for sure you would have had something like this and started your own movie theatre using one of Mom's old sheets. lol

Actually, I did have something similar to that -- my uncle had a toy 16mm Excel projector which I got hold of, complete with silent cutdowns of assorted Mickey Mouse cartoons, Castle News Parades, and random silent comedies. It was extremely harsh on the film, and all the clips were so scratchy they looked like you were watching them thru a screen door.

Of course, nowadays nobody would think of giving a child of any age a metal device filled with gears, springs, and a 300-watt light bulb which vented its heat thru the top. If that wasn't enough, I also inherited my mother's dollhouse -- made of lithographed steel, with plenty of convenient sharp edges to keep you wary. We took much pride in our childhood scars.

You see that kinda thing in the news now and it just makes me sad. It's just kids being kids.

I had the full range of Easy-Bake products, including a light-bulb powered grill and a light-bulb-powered popcorn popper. My cousin and I opened up our own sidewalk lunch stand until the cops told us we needed a license to sell hamburgers.

I'm surprised none of the ladies here mentioned Breyer Horses. I remember those were popular with the girls when I was growing up. But on the subject of metal toys with lots of sharp edges I wish I had been around back then to have this! In my opinion the coolest toys always seem to be the ones from before your time.

Bilt EZ Construction Set (circa 1927)

[video=youtube;8_Ac5m1HVjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Ac5m1HVjg[/video]

My Dad always bought Mattel toy guns for me as he said they looked like the real ones... I had the western set with rifle and six shooter...had problems with finding those dang plastic bullets after you shot them! My Mom must have found hundreds of those buried around the house...I think she threw them away thinking he's got to be out of ammo...nope... dad would buy me more the following weekend so (we) could shoot up the house and my sister's Barbie dolls!

Jim

Last edited:
My dad always bought me toy guns (go figure) we had tons of them as kids. My brother and sister's first word was 'gun' for both of them. I've still got a ton of my toy guns from my childhood.

My Dad always bought Mattel toy guns for me as he said they looked like the real ones... I had the western set with rifle and six shooter...had problems with finding those dang plastic bullets after you shot them! My Mom must have found hundreds of those buried around the house...I think she threw them away thinking he's got to be out of ammo...nope... dad would buy me more the following weekend so (we) could shoot up the house and my sister's Barbie dolls!

Jim

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I was child of the 80s. As vintage as I get are my record albums. I loved them things! I wasn't much into toys -- records, cassette tapes, and players to play them on were my "toys" as long as I could remember. And headphones. I loved my headphones.

JimWagner

Practically Family
My favorite toy was a Tom Corbett space academy set. Lots of little space men with removable bubble helmets, rocket launchers that fired little plastic rockets. Flying saucers and BEMs (bug eyed monsters). If you can find one of these sets today that's mostly all there they sell for a small fortune.

I managed to survive the experience without choking on any of the small parts or shooting out an eye.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I loved my matchbox cars. A friend had a actual case to carry them in, I always envied him. Of course his dad also drag raced and had an actual drag car, much more interesting than matchbox ones!
I think the most favorite toy I had was the big wheel. Oh sure I got a bike later one, but nothing brought me more pleasure when I was a kid, than riding it with the next door neighbor (same age) Scott. Seemed like summer dragged on at that time.

I loved my matchbox cars. A friend had a actual case to carry them in, I always envied him. Of course his dad also drag raced and had an actual drag car, much more interesting than matchbox ones!

Did you have the Regular Wheel (pre 1969) or Superfast Matchbox? I had tons of the vintage Regular Wheel MBs as well as a few Superfasts.

Superfast Flying Bug and Mini Ha Ha
DSCF0126-3.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I had a green machine too Rue, after the Big Wheel gave out.
Big Wheels had no chance with a hyperactive kid, and they didn't make "retreads!"
I had the regular and superfast V.C.
Slowly as I got around 10-11 I got into weights more for sports, and lost interest in the matchbox cars.
Of course more weights and a weight bench weren't really toys, but I enjoyed them...until I'd lift too much and have to stay off for a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart