Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite toys as a kid?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
J. M. Stovall said:
I have one of those still! One of the few things not sold. I also still have my metal Corgi Space 1999 Eagle lander. But probably the single thing I have that gets the biggest reaction from people is my plastic Star Trek Enterprise bridge model. I built it when I was in elementary school and I think it still looks pretty good. I found it several years ago in my parents attic. Even as a kid I was a stickler for detail, adding things to Spocks station that were not on the kit.

100_0350.jpg
I had the same kit although you did a much better job painting yours. Nice work!

Sinatra

Familiar Face
Wonderful post!

My favorite toy - absolutly, without a doubt, the James Bond 007 Attache Case!

JBAttache.jpg

So... I go on eBay thinking maybe I can pick one of these up for old time sake :)

OUCH! these things go for $1,000.00 plus if complete!
Sheesh!

Oh well, guess I'll stick with one of my other favorite toys that I still have:

clackers.jpg

clackers2.jpg

The package says "Teaches skill and co-ordination!"
I would also like to add that they put lumps on your head and arms when learning how to "clack" them!

Here is a link to a story on the history of "clackers" and why they got yanked from store shelves because "kids were suffering eye injuries when the fragile, glass-like balls were shattering from the violence of contact."
http://www.bigredtoybox.com/articles/clackersindex.shtml

HAHA, great fun!
:p

Hah! Clacker Balls. I think that's when I first realized how sensitive I was to high-pitched repetitive annoying sounds. All the kids had them going at once and I remember thinking how I just wanted to beat everyone senseless with the damn things.

Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak

ad nauseum

Regards,

Senator Jack

Naama

Practically Family
I loved my little pony! My older sister and I, togheter we had almost an army of ponys! Well, actually, once we really played that they had to move into war...... Well, yes, don't all little girls play things like that :rolleyes:

I'm a bit shocked about how they look today! When I was a kid they where small and chubby, now they have long thin legs and wear earrings..... strange......

Naama

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
My children will remember their childhood from an electronics standpoint - ("Remember when we had old-fashioned dial-up internet?"). I remember mine from making stuff up. I was always building something:

Tinker toys
Erector set
Lincoln logs
Lego
These little plastic red bricks called "American bricks" that you could build houses with... I still have them.

We played alot of board games:

Monopoly
Life
Clue
Checkers/Chinese Checkers
And all sorts of card games...

And like most boys I liked fast cars (fast women came later) so I was a serious Matchbox car collector... Tonka trucks and lots of model airplanes and cars that I painted myself (badly).

Nice thread. Makes me want to sit down on the floor and build something (as long is someone is around to help me back up!)

J.B.

Practically Family
Harpin' on...

My favorite toy was a red plastic Magnus Harmonica...

...God, I loved that harp! Although they did sound ghastly, I actually nailed a couple of them on eBay a while back just for nostalgia's sake. :cool2:

Although I'm guessing that not one person in a thousand has ever heard of Finn H. Magnus -- his Horatio Alger story is one of the most amazing bios in America, and in many ways he led toy-makers to the use of plastic! :cool:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
SLOT CARS!

I almost forgot - in the early 60's when I was 12-14, there was a local hobby shop that had a big slot car track. I spent all the time there I could, running slot cars. I still have a Revell 77 motor and chassis around somewhere.

I also liked building car models, so I used some of them as bodies for the slot cars. They weren't hard to mount on a slot car chassis.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Sinatra said:
My favorite toy - absolutly, without a doubt, the James Bond 007 Attache Case!

JBAttache.jpg

So... I go on eBay thinking maybe I can pick one of these up for old time sake :)

OUCH! these things go for $1,000.00 plus if complete!
Sheesh!

I bet you could get the real version of everything in that case for less than the 1000 dollars the toy goes for. :p

I'm quite a bit younger than most of you, so when I was growing up Power Rangers just hit the air and EVERYONE had to have a Megazord.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Zach R wrote: "I'm quite a bit younger than most of you, so when I was growing up Power Rangers just hit the air and EVERYONE had to have a Megazord."

Thats O.K. Zach, if you hang around here long enough you can be an honorary 'Old Fogey'....

Oh, and Senator Jack...this is for you,enjoy!
Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak-Klak!
:p

Sefton said:
Zach R wrote: "I'm quite a bit younger than most of you, so when I was growing up Power Rangers just hit the air and EVERYONE had to have a Megazord."
My cousin Richard worked on that show for continuity-script supervisor type
position for converting from Japanese (I think) to American TV. He said it is simply a half hour commercial for the toys

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great List

John in Covina, you added a bunch I had forgotten. "Kick the Can", Box Kites...geez can't find 'em anymore, Stingray Bikes, ..you must have been a kid in the 60's like me!

Andykev said:
..you must have been a kid in the 60's like me!
Yup! Did you have "woods" still in the neighborhood, we used to always play in the woods. Also TREE FORTS were a big deal. ANd real firecrackers, in NY or at least on Long Island all exploding fireworks were banned, subject to seizure by the cops who took them home to entertain their families.

Ashcans, cherry bombs, atom pearls, m-80's and real firecrackers.
Black Cat and Camel brands were usually good.

Plus every kid I know has picked up a recently dropped Sparkler by the wrong end and learned that it doesn't have to be glowing still to be at 500 degrees.
Moonlighter Frisbees. Gyroscopes. Estes rockets. Boomerrangs.

Oh those "rockets you filled with water and pressurized with a pump.

The plastic jets that you shot with a short plastic stick and a rubber band, Rainbow colored Plastic balloons that you blew up from a paste ina tube.

Etch a scetches! That guys picture wher you drew his hair with iron filings and a magnet.

Operation! take out wrenched ankle!

Johnny Quest was brought to you by P.F. Flyers which make you run faster and jump higher!

Whew!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Yup! Did you have "woods" still in the neighborhood, we used to always play in the woods. Also TREE FORTS were a big deal. ANd real firecrackers, in NY or at least on Long Island all exploding fireworks were banned, subject to seizure by the cops who took them home to entertain their families.

Ashcans, cherry bombs, atom pearls, m-80's and real firecrackers.
Black Cat and Camel brands were usually good.

Plus every kid I know has picked up a recently dropped Sparkler by the wrong end and learned that it doesn't have to be glowing still to be at 500 degrees.

Gyroscopes. Estes rockets.

Building some model ship or something and then blowing it to kingdom come with some of that ordinance. lol

Zach R.

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
My cousin Richard worked on that show for continuity-script supervisor type
position for converting from Japanese (I think) to American TV. He said it is simply a half hour commercial for the toys

True, but so is every other children's television show these days.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff