Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Hat Addiction...and your spouse

Magus

Practically Family
I LOVE hats...and it started early.

The first time I got lost, at the ripe age of 2 1/2, was in J.C Penny's (not due to any neglect on my mothers part...just a fast crawler) After going into panic mode...locking down the store...calling an all look alert. I was found...behind the men's hat counter where I had pulled open a half dozen boxes and was trying on different ones.

Currently I have...oh...I dunno... 30 or so... my wife likes to tease me by saying that they have their own room, which they do to some extent, though they share it with my computer, easel, and art supplies.

So with fathers day aproaching the usual question of what I wanted came up...and I had really no idea what I wanted...(not kidding) lol. She says, "Why dont you get yourself a hat?" So..being me ...penny pincher guy..I start browsing the e site, even bought a project hat in the process...when she sees me searching there she then says "Well...you can look there all you want, but havn't you always wanted a real Panama?"

The order was placed today with our own PanamaBob...a Fino, English Optimo style with a custom 2 5/8 brim.

Sometimes its easy to see how we have made it 23+ years.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Nice story,

Magus, thanks for sharing.
Actually, it was my spouse who introduced me the world of fedoras.
Before that I only had some black knit caps, few berets, camouflage hat and a baseball cap.
She told me how she custom ordered a grey fedora for her brother for Christmas 2003 and I asked her to tell me where that hatter was.
Once I got there I ordered my first custom fedora.
Than the flow of boxes arriving from overseas started ...packed with hats from Panamabob and Art.
So I decided to give her also a nice panama.
That maintains family peace (I hope so);) .

Tom

HDRnR

A-List Customer
My wife thinks I'm insane but she knew that goin in. The cool thing is that she likes the big cowboy hats which I also love.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Magus said:
...when she sees me searching there she then says "Well...you can look there all you want, but havn't you always wanted a real Panama?"
Bravo, Magus! What a great story. When the movie of your life is made, surely the first scene will be a store full of frightened shopworkers frantically searching for you, while you, in diapers, carefully attempt to hone your sartorial panache.

And congratulations to you on having such a wonderfully supportive and understanding (nay, encouraging!) spouse. May the two of you share continued connubial bliss for many years to come.

:eusa_clap

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Magus said:
Currently I have...oh...I dunno... 30 or so... my wife likes to tease me by saying that they have their own room.

Sometimes hats need their own space. :D

P1040726.jpg

Magus said:
when she sees me searching there she then says "Well...you can look there all you want, but havn't you always wanted a real Panama?"

The order was placed today with our own PanamaBob...a Fino, English Optimo style with a custom 2 5/8 brim.

Sometimes its easy to see how we have made it 23+ years.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Keep it up, JT, and you'll need a bigger house with more and longer hallways! Some sweet-looking lids lining those walls there! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
J.T.Marcus said:

P1040726.jpg

I ordered another hat today. My wife was pretty good about it. I refer her to JT's "Wall of Hats" along with many other posts here to reassure her I'm not alone. Many people have "the hat jones". Thanks for your support.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:

Ahem. J.T.Marcus- Ok. After 12 years of school, 4 of college, 2 to masters and 5 to PhD with 25+ years of teaching experience and what I've been told is an erudite and extensive vocabulary, I'd like to say. . . .

GEEPERS!!!!!
:cheers1:

What is your method of mounting them? Pegs? Looks fabulous- the only problem is I'd walk into the "cave" one morning and be frozen from the choices!! :)

Maguire

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:

P1040726.jpg

jesus christ... :eek: :eek:

ever think of opening up a store? you've got more hats there than most retailers.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
My wife says she'll stop teasing me (good naturedly) about my hats. Her "People" magazine had hats under Cool Father's Day gifts. :eusa_clap

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
ScionPI2005 said:
Is The Hat Cave the official name for your space J.T.? That's a nice collection.

Thank-you. That's what I've been calling it. My wife calls it "the hallway." :)

mtechthang said:
What is your method of mounting them? Pegs?

Long finishing nails (Those are the ones without heads.) After cleaning each nail and checking for any burrs, I pre-drilled each hole, and gently tapped the nail in place (at a slight upward angle).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn